Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/31/2006 2:39:32 PM EDT
Anybody got one yet?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:58:54 PM EDT
No.
Any idea what it costs?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:16:41 PM EDT
got one on order. i'll post pics when it comes in. drive-out will probably be around $875 or so...

being a gunsite grad, and student of col. cooper, i just had to have one...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:47:17 PM EDT
Only $875? A stock model around Indy goes for almost $800. That's a steal!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:06:32 PM EDT

It was reviewed in the latest SWAT magazine I got in the mail (almost a month ago).

The only negatives I recall were reletive to some sharp edges, including the front sight base, which stuck out of the dovetail.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:54:25 PM EDT
just took delivery...i gotta say i really like this gun....always wanted a "commander" sized .45 so i'm glad i waited for the right one for me...

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:10:29 PM EDT
To bad the ruined it with an external extractor.
Nice other than that.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:50:55 PM EDT
Nicely done. Yeah, it has an external extractor but S&W made theirs right. Once again, nice gun and happy shooting.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:27:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Burnsome-:
just took delivery...i gotta say i really like this gun....always wanted a "commander" sized .45 so i'm glad i waited for the right one for me...

onfinite.com/libraries/775619/f01.jpg
onfinite.com/libraries/775620/f01.jpg
onfinite.com/libraries/775624/f01.jpg
onfinite.com/libraries/775625/f01.jpg
onfinite.com/libraries/775626/f01.jpg

--classy-looks great!

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:49:43 PM EDT
I love the grips, the logos, the matched grip screws and the finish. I hate the front serrations, the brass insert on the front sight (were Novak 3 dot Tritium sights too...cliched?) and the hokey writing on the frame.

If I were to buy an S&W 1911, this would be it. But I doubt it'll happen.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:02:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DrMark:
The only negatives I recall were reletive to some sharp edges, including the front sight base, which stuck out of the dovetail.

Thats the #1 reason I would never buy one. How much hand fitting can each pistol get if they do not take the time to properly blend the edges of the front sight?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:07:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SPECTRE:
Nice other than that.

+1, they seem to be a very nice rendition of the 1911, but I just can't get past the extractor! (even though they say this one actually works!)

All in all, nice pistol, hope it pleases you!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:10:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GUNGUY1911:

Originally Posted By SPECTRE:
Nice other than that.

+1, they seem to be a very nice rendition of the 1911, but I just can't get past the extractor! (even though they say this one actually works!)

All in all, nice pistol, hope it pleases you!

Thats a good point.

Strike #2

Even though I'm sure it's a great 1911.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:43:25 AM EDT
Yep. Get rid of the external extractor and the forward cockers, and I'd get one.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:07:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Yep. Get rid of the external extractor and the forward cockers, and I'd get one.

The forward serrations will not go away. Gunsite teaches the front of the slide press check and that is exactly why those are there. They are not cocking serrations. They are just to facilitate the press check. The GSP guns were originally built to make the most of student's training time and the front serrations really do make a difference in a class.

My gripe with the gun is the extractor and the firing pin safety. Cooper's got to be pissed that his creation is having its logo attached to something with these "features."
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:16:34 AM EDT
Yeah, but you know what I meant regarding the front "cockers" . Regardless, I find it kind of odd that you don't hear about people needing 'em on Glocks etc, but they're "necessary" on a 1911.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:49:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Yeah, but you know what I meant regarding the front "cockers" . Regardless, I find it kind of odd that you don't hear about people needing 'em on Glocks etc, but they're "necessary" on a 1911.

Well, I haven't taken a class at Gunsite, but I have taken two at Frontsight. I took the class with a 1911, but my girlfriend and mother took it with a Glock. The Glock 17 recoil spring isn't too forceful and performing a press check is fairly easy. This 17 was a 2nd gen with the gritty finish. The Glock 19, 3rd gen is another issue. The slide is slippery and the spring is a bear. We added skateboard tape, but that chewed up the inside of a kydex holster. They have you doing so many chamber checks that you really do need something to improve the grip.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:53:25 AM EDT
For the price, it looks like a good addition to the SW1911 line.

It isn't in the same class as a semi-custom but I'll bet it will work well regardless. Aesthetically there are some things I wouldn't care for, but I'm pretty picky when it comes to 1911s.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:41:34 PM EDT
I handled one two days ago. The fit and finish were excellent. The frame to slide fit was very tight and smooth. I didn't get to shoot it, but I talked to another Gunsite instructor who was wearing it and he loved it. He sold his other 1911's because he liked the S&W so much more. It's the next one I'm going to get.
Top Top