Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2005 2:12:29 AM EDT
Anyone on here ever encountered an anti-CCW gun shop?

I went to a gunshop/shooting range in Augusta GA that I have frequented in the past, when I'm down there visiting relatives. Me and the guy behind the counter get to talking about CCW and, since my NC permit is honored in both SC and GA, I'm carrying concealed at the time. I mention to him I'm carrying my G19 and I want to get another Don Hume holster to replaced the old one I'm wearing (since they carry the Don Hume line), and without even displaying the holster or weapon this guy levels an ass-chewing verbal assault on me about how I should NOT be carrying a loaded weapon into his store! Keep in mind I hadn't reached for it nor displayed it in any way; I simply made mention of the fact that I was carrying - something I figured was OK to do seeing as how I'm standing in a gun shop and all! . I would have NEVER expected this kind of reaction in a gun shop/shooting range! This kid was obviously the nervous/paranoid sort to being with; right about this time another employee who recognized me from past visits told him it was OK and the kid calmed down.

Not allowing CCW in a gun shop is like not allowing cash transactions in a bank. Since I have had a CCW permit this kind of thing has never happened to me. All the local gun shops here openly accept and encourage licensed CCW as well as a few I've been to in FL and SC. My question is have any of you ever encountered a gun shop that didn't trust you enough to allow you to legally carry concealed in their store, but at the same time wouldn't have a problem separating you from your hard-earned cash?
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 2:21:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Never happened to me... I would take my hard earned cash elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 5:15:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I have never been a fan of telling anyone that I am carrying so this guy would have never known.  I also would not spend my money in a gunshop that said they didn't want me to carry there.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 5:33:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I would think this falls under the "don't ask, don't tell" category.

Link Posted: 7/11/2005 5:51:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I see both sides of this issue.
You don't want to leave your weapon in a vehicle, or feel you are safe and competent,
and represent no threat to store employees.
Those both may be very true, and I intend in no way to disparage.

From the staff's perspective, you are an unknown.
They have no clue as to your safety habits, or your intentions.
People go in to gunstores, and regularly make every safety mistake possible.
They sweep people with muzzles, point guns at others, and generally show thier ignorance.
They have these rules to protect themselves and thier customers from folks like those I mention above.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 6:55:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Most of the gun shops I've been in have signs clearly posted by the door stating "No Loaded Firearms Beyond This Point"

Maybe you just weren't paying attention...
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 7:00:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, I hate that attitude.  

THere are lot's of stories on this board about asshats pulling and waving guns around in shops......but should we all pay for that?

I was in my local shop talking Kimber mags and the owner asked me what the follower looked like on a Wilson - so I pulled a spare off the belt, popped out the rounds, and handed it to him.    NBD.   Never touched the weapon of course, or showed it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 7:06:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Good to know that Greek culture extends to gunshops as well.

Hip·poc·ra·tes
Pronunciation: hi-'pä-kr&-"tEz
Function: biographical name
circa 460-circa 377 B.C. - FATHER OF MEDICINE Greek physician; traditionally but incorrectly credited with Hippocratic oath administered to graduate physicians

hyp·o·crite
Pronunciation: 'hi-p&-"krit
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English ypocrite, from Old French, from Late Latin hypocrita, from Greek hypokritEs actor, hypocrite, from hypokrinesthai
: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
- hypocrite adjective
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I posted a thread abou tthis some time ago too. I do think it sucks that assholes wave guns, insurance companies, and sort of force dealers to have these signs.

Especially since they are armed, and many dealers have ranges in their stores.

The consensus was to ignore the sign, and to make sure you don't tell or show.

Another pet peeve of mine is how the gun shows require every gun to be tied wraped. Asked me how I learned the hard way - if a dealer at a gun show will not remove the tie wrap so you can try the trigger pull - run away!!!!  Never again believe the BS - 'I can't remove the tie wrap' it means the gun is disfunctional and the seller is hiding it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Concealed means don't tell them.

*shrug*

When someone has asked me if I'm carrying, I say something like "Are you kidding me?  Why would I carry here?" and change the subject.  I never actually lie and say I'm not carrying but they still think I said no.

Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#10]
If the sign says "no loaded guns," I comply by taking the mag out and putting it into the pocket.  Now it's unloaded.

If I'm in a really bad neighborhood or fear something bad will happen to me and I really desire the protection of a handgun in gunshop with "no loaded guns" sign, I'll have a loaded pocket pistol ready.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#11]
never seen it in a gun shop.  A buddy of mine got his ass chewed at a gun show.  They unload and cable tie your pistol before you enter.  While he was exiting he asked the guy at the table if he could load up and was given the ok.  He then got his ass chewed when he racked one into the chamber and was told that he should never carry a glock with a loaded chamber...dipshit.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Post the store's name and addy to we can sent them letters.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If the sign says "no loaded guns," I comply by taking the mag out, clearing the chamber of the live round and putting it into the pocket.  Now it's unloaded.

If I'm in a really bad neighborhood or fear something bad will happen to me and I really desire the protection of a handgun in gunshop with "no loaded guns" sign, I'll have a loaded pocket pistol ready.

fixed it for you...
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#14]
You should'nt have to leave your pistol in the car.  That's why you have a permit.  So you can carry it!

You being an "unknown"?  Your "intentions"?  All this shit was covered when you went through the ass ache of getting your permit!  The government and LE community turned over every rock in your past, and shuffled through every file that had your name in it.  You have jumped through all the hoops with flying colors and this little fariy has the balls to question your integrity?

I would very calmly speak to the manager about making sure his employees keep their opinions to themselves.  And then explain to that little piss ant that you pay more taxes than what he makes in a year, and if the business wants to see any of your money then they should keep their ignorant and irate employees on a shorter leash.

I'm not suggesting you be rude or make a scene.  I'm just saying, you've paid your dues and don't have to answer to anybody.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#15]
my local gun shop has a sign. All guns unloaded , unless for CCW .
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#16]
The range/store I am a member of is a huge promoter of CCW. Carrying in the store is allowed, but you can only remove your weapon and clear it on the range to avoid any hearing/life damage should an idiot ND.

At a competing store/range, not only are the prices for firearms overpriced by more than $40, but they don't allow CCW and you must check your gun with them before entering the rest of the store. I don't shop there.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I own a gunshop and there are some really ignorant gun dealers out there. Come on folks...if you can't carry with a perrmit in a gunshop and be intelligent about it, you probally don't need to be carrying a gun to begin with!!     We got to promote what we sell. Its like sellling a car and telling them they need a wrecker to take it home!  
Come on down to my store.......................CCW ARE WELCOME!!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the replies...some well thought out, some concerning my failure to properly spell the word "hypocrite" (grammar police did I get it right that time?), others, well...

It seems to me that of ALL places, a gun shop would be the kind of place you could reveal that you're carrying - after all, what else is there to talk about in a gun shop? This instance had nothing to do with a lack of intelligence while carrying.

And, no, I didn't miss the sign - there wasn't one. All the gun shops here locally have signs that say "licensed concealed carry welcome" or something to that effect.

I understand the thing about me being an "unknown"...that's the reason why it's a dicey proposition to have an LEO encounter while carrying, too. In NC you're required to notify an LEO who engages you - hasn't happened to me yet, but I can't imagine the reaction I would get, depending on the attitude of individual LEO. After all, I'm an unknown to him/her, too, right? Unless you just happen to know that LEO personally, you're an unknown too!

Good thing I didn't tell the rube about the J frame I had in my pocket...
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I worked in a gun shop in AZ for a while.

We had a posted sign about "no loaded firearms" at the door.

It was not because we didn't want you to CCW your gun - the owner and I could care less and even promoted it! The problem with you and every other person off the street having a loaded firearm in the store is that they want to start talking about "THEIR" firearm and then it soon pops out. That's when the trouble starts. 90% of firearms brought in to show me were invariably pointed at me, one time or another in the same conversation. That is the problem. If I got to know you, and trusted that you knew what the hell you are doing, I encouraged you to start carrying your loaded firearm when visiting me. I might need you for back up if I got hit.

I have had many shop owners that I knew request that I carried hot in their stores for just this reason.

BTW, I hate looking into a barrel of a firearm ANYTIME. I hope you can understand and it's not a personal prejudice against you. They don't want to get shot accidentally. Can't blame them, can you?

I have looked down way too many gun barrels in my life. Personally, I like looking at it from the rear sight. It's not personal against you.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#21]
What it seems to me is this thread and the whole civilian CCW thing boils down to this:

If I don't know you, I don't trust you.

I guess it's that pesky human nature thing.

Plus, there are ALOT of careless people out there toting loaded handguns - some civilians, most cops.

Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
In NM and TX, it is against the law to carry in a gunstore.  Just don't tell them.

You're joking, right?!
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#23]
One of the ranges I go to has a big sign posting no loaded weapons so that doesn't seem unusual. Also many gunshops have similar posted signs. Also, concealed means concealed both from view and knowledge from anyone. Don't ask, don't tell.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#24]
From what I've read and the few shop owners I've dealt with they all seem a little squirrely. I just figure it's because where there's a gun shop there are also crackheads and gang-thugs that hang out in them and keep the shop owner/employees on edge on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#25]

What it seems to me is this thread and the whole civilian CCW thing boils down to this:

It's not the case at all.  Although I don't trust people I don't know as a matter of course.

Cops usually don't draw unless they see a threat, in most cases. They are as a group, some of the least knowledgable and largest safety violators with guns, but they keep their guns in the holster as a matter of training.

Quoted:
From what I've read and the few shop owners I've dealt with they all seem a little squirrely. I just figure it's because where there's a gun shop there are also crackheads and gang-thugs that hang out in them and keep the shop owner/employees on edge on a regular basis.

Next time you are in a shop, ask the guy behind the counter how many guns were pointed at him today. He'll let you know.

Now, how many guns have you had pointed at you in the course of a day? Has nothing to do with bangers and druggies.

Now, would any of you want someone you don't know sweeping you with the muzzle of their loaded firearm and them having their fingers on the triggers? It's bad enough when you hand them a verified unloaded firearm to examine and they turn around and point it right at you or sweep you. How would you like to have it done with a gun you didn't check first?

I never have a problem with anybody I don't know carrying a gun. I applaud them. If there is a chance that they are going to be drawing it to show me, I'd rather they have it unloaded and short of having a clearing barrel, I'd rather they just leave it holstered, unless I know them and know they practice good judgement. But, everybody will have an AD/ND one day - only a matter of time. I'd rather it not be in my direction.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 11:23:40 PM EDT
[#26]
My first reply:

Hey everyone, I am new at AR15, but I go by the same screemame on Glocktalk, Sigtalk, ohioccwforums and pre-ban.   Look forward to getting to know ya.

I have been in some stores that are in the bad part of town, and look like they are out of the movie, Pulp Fiction (fortunatley I don't ever see the basement)  That movie alone is a great reason to carry in a gunstore.  But I have to agree that there are some shady types that frequent these places on occasion.  My current gun guy is great, he doesnt have cases lined up filled with guns but he has them in stock in a safe, and after calling him and telling him what you want to see, he has it on a conference table when you get there, and you can sit down and have a look at whatever you want.  One on one service and it works great.

I can understand the dilemma of working in your average gun store, 9 out of 10 people, as soon as the dealer checks the chamber, take the gun and where does their finger go...yep, straight to that trigger, like Hollywood taught them.  That isnt even counting the muzzle sweeping across their bodies  several times.  And some peace of mind comes from the fact that you personally checked that gun, but still a business end of the gun looking you in the eyes is still a bad thing.  I am so ritualistic about cleaning mine,  just to be 110 percent sure that no ADs occur.   As the dealer, you just never know who has what level of training.  Most dealers ask me if I already own guns and what I have, etc.  Before browsing, I guess to ascertain a level of comfort.

It irks me though that they are so preachy, about CCW.  That seems to be biting the hand that feeds them, and if one ever unloaded a soapbox lecture on me, I would tell them a few choice words and take my business elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 5:22:56 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Next time you are in a shop, ask the guy behind the counter how many guns were pointed at him today. He'll let you know.

Now, how many guns have you had pointed at you in the course of a day? Has nothing to do with bangers and druggies.

Now, would any of you want someone you don't know sweeping you with the muzzle of their loaded firearm and them having their fingers on the triggers? It's bad enough when you hand them a verified unloaded firearm to examine and they turn around and point it right at you or sweep you. How would you like to have it done with a gun you didn't check first?

The guy never took his loaded CCW out of the holster and swept the shop owner... and I don't get freaked out when someone sweeps me with an unloaded firearm... just don't see the big deal. Loaded, yeah I get a little jumpy then.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It's not the case at all.  Although I don't trust people I don't know as a matter of course.

Best contradiction I've seen in a long time!

Cops usually don't draw unless they see a threat, in most cases. They are as a group, some of the least knowledgable and largest safety violators with guns, but they keep their guns in the holster as a matter of training.

But, everybody will have an AD/ND one day - only a matter of time. I'd rather it not be in my direction.

BULLSHIT! Saying everyone who handles a gun will one day have an ND is like saying everyone with a driver license will one day be in a wreck. How about this:

"Those careless bastards that negligently sweep others with the muzzles of their guns are perfect candidates for a future ND".

That's better and more accurate.

YOU will NEVER have a ND if YOU SEE TO IT THAT IT DOESN'T HAPPEN!
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The guy never took his loaded CCW out of the holster and swept the shop owner... and I don't get freaked out when someone sweeps me with an unloaded firearm... just don't see the big deal. Loaded, yeah I get a little jumpy then.

I personally wouldn't mind if everybody allowed by law were able to pack. The world would be a nicer place. I also never had a problem with people who had a loaded ccw in my store, AS LONG AS IT NEVER LEAVES THE HOLSTER and I didn't see it. Problem is, there are some out there who want to start bragging about what they pack and want to draw it and show it off. If it is loaded, I want it to stay in the holster. Chances are that I have several just like yours in the case, I've carried one myself, or I'd never consider carrying one of those in my life and rather not see it.

AND, I REALLY DON'T LIKE BEING SWEPT WITH THE BARREL OF A FIREARM, EVEN IF I JUST CHECKED IT. Call me crazy, and I don't get freaked out about it, but I don't enjoy looking down the barrel of any gun. We are different. I'm just pointing out the reason you see these signs posted in gun shops. It's the same reason you see them posted at all the gun shows. Do you have a problem with those signs as well?

If you carry all the time, like I do, keep it concealed and quiet and there it will never be a problem because nobody will know and therefore care. I carry hot everywhere I'm not subject to a detector - sign or no sign, legal or not.

The choice is yours.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Best contradiction I've seen in a long time!

But, everybody will have an AD/ND one day - only a matter of time. I'd rather it not be in my direction.

BULLSHIT! Saying everyone who handles a gun will one day have an ND is like saying everyone with a driver license will one day be in a wreck. How about this:

"Those careless bastards that negligently sweep others with the muzzles of their guns are perfect candidates for a future ND".

That's better and more accurate.

YOU will NEVER have a ND if YOU SEE TO IT THAT IT DOESN'T HAPPEN!

Okay,

Not sure why you are yelling at me, but let me address your concerns.

I don't mind or care if everyone carries a gun. Chances are that if it comes to a fight, I will probably prevail unless you (meaning they-bad guys, not you personally) are better trained and a better shooter than me. Possible but unlikely because criminals rarely practice or train and I doubt I'd go up against a ranked shooter because I'm a law abiding citizen and it should never happen. That doesn't mean I don't trust you (meaning everyday people I come into contact with) just because you (see previous) are a good guy. A wise man told me once that every person you meet, you should have a plan mapped out to be able to kill them. You'll probably never need it, but you may one day. I wargame all the time.

Now, another smart man once told me that there are two kinds of gun people in the world - those who have had an AD/ND, and those who will experience one in the future.

Hell, I'm one of the safest drivers you'll ever meet. I've had a couple of auto accidents in my life. Chances are that if you drive long enough, in any congested area, you'll have one as well unless you are really, really lucky. It may not be your fault, but you'll probably be involved in one in your life.

I've had an M60 cook off on me in the Army due to a hot barrel. That happens. Technically, it was an AD - several dozen as a matter of fact. I've also had my personal 1911 discharge on me when doing a tac reload on a range. Tapped the mag to seat it and the SOB fired a round off. My finger was off the trigger, thumb safety off, grip safety depressed and it was a series 70. I had a mechanical failure of the sear/disconnector/hammer. Took it home and replaced all the frame internals and never had another problem. Was it a negligent discharge? Nope. It was accidental due to a mechanical failure. Thank God I wasn't at home or elsewhere when it happened.

Parts fail, people due stupid things because they are only human and prone to mistakes. It happens. Sometimes it is criminal if someone dies. Some of the best shooters I know, people who compete with Rob Leatham, Doug Koenig and Jerry Miculik had an ND in front of me on an IDPA shoot. He popped one off into a chair while drawing it to start a shooting string. It happens. I mention it to him whenever I see him. He has the chair at home to remind him.

If you never experience an AD/ND in your life, God has smiled on you. Equipment fails sometimes and nothing you do can stop it. You just try to minimize your risk. I pray that you never have one and if you do, it will be at the range and no one will be injured.

Heck, maybe you'll never get into an auto accident or have AD/ND - mechanical failure in your life. If so, you'll have way better luck than me.

Still doesn't mean that I like to have guns pointed at me. It creeps me out.

Take care.

ETA: I did say AD/ND. There is a difference and nobody who handles guns should have an ND if they follow the rules of safe gun handling and use common sense. Nobody who carries a gun SHOULD have an ND ever! AD's do happen as referenced above as well as failures.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I have never been a fan of telling anyone that I am carrying so this guy would have never known.  I also would not spend my money in a gunshop that said they didn't want me to carry there.

Ditto
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:00:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Many people are shot by 'unloaded' firearms every year.
Those who claim muzzle discipline isn't necessary because they know a weapon is unloaded are a danger to themselves and others.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#33]
muzzle sweeps freak me too...

In local shop, counter person is showing an AR to a car salesman...  I know it is unloaded as there is no mag and the bolt is back...  I don't like it and I am not happy but stay anyway. By the way, I am 6 feet behind the customer waiting for my turn and he is spinning like a top killing every piece of merchandise in the store.  He asks what the rounds look like, counter person opens a box and hands him a round,  I am really not happy now, he has armed an idiot car salesman.  Idiot car salesman hand round back to counter person whom without asking, loads it in the mag and hands the mag to the idiot and shows him how to insert the mag and close the bolt.  Idiot starts to go into spinning mode and I run for a brick dividing wall...  Counter person realizes what he has done and almost dives across the counter to retrieve the loaded AR from the car salesman.

This counter person is a nice guy and really very good about safety.  He just had a few bad moments in a row with someone that really didn't know any better.

I think if you have it in a holster and keep it there I don't have too much problem, concealed or open carry.  But even the best of intentions can go wrong quickly.  I think this is why gun store owner tell people to unload before entering.  The person bringing in the gun may not be familiar with it and accidents happen.  

I have heard stories but not witnessed of people bringing in weapons and boxes of shells to have the store load the gun for them.  Store drops mag and checks chamber to find the gun is already loaded...  Not sure if this is true, but given enough time, I guess it is possible.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#34]
If its not posted, then I carry and never bring up the gun I'm carrying.

If it is posted "no loaded", then remove the mag and empty the camber.

If it is posted "all guns in range bags", then put it in the range bag.

I understand some people don't know how to hand the guns and make it a point not to point it at anyone and always give it back open and clear.

One gun shop has a policy if your turn away fromt the counter with a gun the owner will have his pointed at you when you turn around!  I saw this happen once and the guy nearly shxx him self.  He placed the gun on the table and left very quickly. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Working part-time at a gunstore I get plenty of guns pointed at me everyday.  and those are just the guns I've handed to customers.  I never ever like to see anyone grab any gun that they have brought in to my store and in fact I tend to put my hand on mine when they reach for theirs.  To me its just a matter of time before a ND happens, and I don't plan on being on the receiving end when it does.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#36]
If I'm ever asked if I'm carrying a weapon, I use what I've been trained to say for the last 17 years of Naval Service..."I can neither confirm not deny ..." It usually gets a laugh and takes the edge off the conversation. If someone pushes me for a real answer, I ask them why they want to know. I never confirm or deny that I'm carrying a weapon.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

As a former gun store employee I can say you've pretty much hit it on the head. Gun stores that are making sales have two things very attractive to criminals: cash and guns. A no loaded guns policy makes it very easy to single out someone whose motives are unknown but is packing. Exceptions are made for regulars.

Example:
Unknown A  walks in with underwear showing 5" above his pants and a bulge under his shirt. Me," Sir, I'm sorry, we have a no loaded firearms policy here". As I'm saying this, any regulars and my co-workers are locking on the subject and shifting their body weight. Unknown guy "My bad dawg, let me run out to the ride and put the heat under the seat".

Nobody gets drawn down on when homeboy (who meant no harm to the store) goes to pull his money wad out of his pocket.

Not sure if I made that clear, but I promise you if you worked in the business you would see the logic.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#38]
I went into a local gun shop a few years ago and one of the clerks was laughing about an ND that had just happened the day before.

-A customer brought in a hunting rifle to sell. The clerk took the gun from him, DID NOT open the bolt to inspect the chamber. The guy selling the gun was telling the clerk of all the rifle's virtues, glass bedded, 2.5 lb. trigger pull... so the clerk PULLS THE TRIGGER to check the trigger pull and discharges the rifle. He is laughing the whole time he is telling me the story and points to a hole in the ceiling. I gave him a blank stare and walked out.

Unfortunately some gun stores hire the same idiots who cannot put together a hamburger at Mcdonalds or ring up bananas at the grocery store.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Store drops mag and checks chamber to find the gun is already loaded... Not sure if this is true, but given enough time, I guess it is possible.

Not only possible, but fairly common.  Over the last 30 years I've probably had at least a hundred times where the person thought they had cleared the gun but hadn't.  It is particularly problematic with blowback designs.  Not every "no loaded guns" sign is to restrict your rights, most of them are there for safety purposes.  One might be the best gunhandler in the world, and never make any mistakes, but if so one is the exception.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Good to know that Greek culture extends to gunshops as well.

Hip·poc·ra·tes
Pronunciation: hi-'pä-kr&-"tEz
Function: biographical name
circa 460-circa 377 B.C. - FATHER OF MEDICINE Greek physician; traditionally but incorrectly credited with Hippocratic oath administered to graduate physicians

hyp·o·crite
Pronunciation: 'hi-p&-"krit
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English ypocrite, from Old French, from Late Latin hypocrita, from Greek hypokritEs actor, hypocrite, from hypokrinesthai
: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
- hypocrite adjective

I was wondering what the father of modern medicine had to do with gun shops too.

First do no harm........................ aim center of mass.................. A new paragragh for the Hippocratic Oath?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:34:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Don't ask, don't tell, don't show, and especially don't grab.  I like to think a big part of the no CCW in gun stores is because of idiots who walk up to the counter, whip out their loaded pistol, muzzle in your face, finger on the trigger, and say "I need ammo for this".  Ignorant? yes.  Weapon taken from idiot, cleared, and returned to idiot as he is being escorted out of the store? yes.

Gotta remember, gun owners/ CCW holders are a cross section of society, and we all know that 70% of society are idiots.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:38:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:52:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Simple solution:

"CCW welcome, but please leave it in the holster"

Any store that forces me to disarm before walking in (including gun stores) will not get any of my business.

Most gun stores around here have signs on the door that state things like "keep your hands out of your pockets"  "all employees armed"  "all firearms must be cased or holstered" etc.  None  that I have patronized have ever had a "no ccw" on the door.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#44]
In Raleigh NC I go to Davis indoor range and gun shop. The have a sign dividing their store from the range part that states "no firearms past this point". or somthing to that nature. On the way out of the store you have to pass that sign to get to the exit door, and you also pass the registers on the way out. Before I bought my gun cases I used to really draw some stares as I walked out with a 30-30, and an AK-47, on my back and a P90 on my belt. Anyone that would try something in a gun shop isn't to bright, all the employees have firearms on their belts. I do think it's kind of strange they won't allow guns in the store but they say it's store policy.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I went into a local gun shop a few years ago and one of the clerks was laughing about an ND that had just happened the day before.

-A customer brought in a hunting rifle to sell. The clerk took the gun from him, DID NOT open the bolt to inspect the chamber. The guy selling the gun was telling the clerk of all the rifle's virtues, glass bedded, 2.5 lb. trigger pull... so the clerk PULLS THE TRIGGER to check the trigger pull and discharges the rifle. He is laughing the whole time he is telling me the story and points to a hole in the ceiling. I gave him a blank stare and walked out.

Unfortunately some gun stores hire the same idiots who cannot put together a hamburger at Mcdonalds or ring up bananas at the grocery store.

That's because all three jobs pay about the same. You forgot Airport security though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#46]
by chance how did you attain a p90?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:33:49 AM EDT
[#47]
My local gun shop has a sign that says boldly "CHL holders are welcome, just keep it concealed!"

That's pretty much all that EVER needs to be said, one way or another.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:22:04 AM EDT
[#48]
If I see a "no loaded guns" sign on a gun shop door, I assume it only applies to non-CCW holders.  In TX, there is only one sign that is legally binding to keep permit holders from carrying.  Anything else can legally be ignored.

That being said, if I was carrying a rifle or cased handgun into the store for repair, I would ensure it was unloaded.  But my concealed handgun would stay concealed, and stay loaded.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:33:29 AM EDT
[#49]
yea, around me(pinellas county, FL) most shops have giant signs that say "no loaded firearms" etc... there is only one shop i carry into, beceause otherwise i wouldnt want an unfortunate misunderstanding!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top