Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2013 10:21:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Now sand down the other side and take a soldering iron and lightly touch the tip to the grip to form little circles.  Takes a long time, but people spend hundreds of dollars for it.  
I have experimented with different tips and techniques.  I like scratching the grip parallel with the slide to form rows.  Works good and just tacky enough.  
Good Luck.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#2]
If you just want to get the color dark like it used to be,use some CLP on the frame.Lightly wipe it down and let it set for 2 or 3 minutes then wipe it down to remove the excess oil.It will be pretty close to the original color.Thats what I CID to my I G22 and it worked out nice.

Give me a few minutes and I'll get some pics for you.

" />

" />

[/URL" />

" />

The first pic is right after the grinding ,the next ones are after the stippling and wipe down.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Wrap it with an A Grip or some Talon grip tape?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Be careful stipling that gun now that you've done alot of grinding, because you may burn a hole in the plastic.  But if you finally decide to, remember that larger diameter solder iron tips will create a smoother feel, and the smaller tips create more grip.

I eventually changed the one gun I did over to larger diameter dimples for that perfect balance of grip and comfort, and it looks great.  Please don't pay someone to do it.  It's very easy, and the good thing about plastic is if you mess it up you just go back over it again.  YMMV.

I was like you, and did this job strictly as a cover up job to frame scars at first and then ended up liking it:
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're looking for grip sandpaper is just going to smooth it out unless your talking about sticking it on the gun
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#9]
If you lightly drag a soldering iron around in random, circular squiggles, it looks very much like the factory grip panels.

Sandblasting will make the plastic look more uniform.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought some tape made to go on metal steps from Lowe's and cut some panels for the sides. Works great.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#11]
You need a G37 !      
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#12]
use a heat gun (or a torch if you are very careful!) to heat the plastic. its an old trick we used to do to old faded/scuffed car bumpers. it will bring back the semi glossy look of the plastic and smooth out the sanding marks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be careful stipling that gun now that you've done alot of grinding, because you may burn a hole in the plastic.  But if you finally decide to, remember that larger diameter solder iron tips will create a smoother feel, and the smaller tips create more grip.

I eventually changed the one gun I did over to larger diameter dimples for that perfect balance of grip and comfort, and it looks great.  Please don't pay someone to do it.  It's very easy, and the good thing about plastic is if you mess it up you just go back over it again.  YMMV.

I was like you, and did this job strictly as a cover up job to frame scars at first and then ended up liking it:
<a href="http://s181.photobucket.com/user/07jackd07/media/IMG_7027_zpse7763df6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x216/07jackd07/IMG_7027_zpse7763df6.jpg</a>
View Quote

Definitely not my thing!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s181.photobucket.com/user/07jackd07/media/IMG_7027_zpse7763df6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x216/07jackd07/IMG_7027_zpse7763df6.jpg</a>
View Quote

To me that looks horrible
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top