Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2011 5:50:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/24/2011 6:44:51 PM EDT by argolfer]
I just picked up this USFA Single Action and would like to get some new grips - preferably walnut - and had a few questions.

What is the difference between 1 piece and 2 piece (besides the obvious)?  Where is a good place to find them?  Do they make some that are oversized?

Please post any pics you may have of grips you like.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 7/24/2011 7:06:30 PM EDT
I'm not posting pics, you can google just as well as anyone else if you try and I'm on dial up in the sticks.
Popular option in wood or buffalo horn is "Gunfighter Grips"  narrower width than standard.
Best looking wood grips ever=Mesquite.
Single single action?  How about a exact copy of John Wayne's favorite grips.  Synthetic aged ivory with three finger grooves in left panel.
There is a company that makes them.
http://www.cowboy-emporium.com/saagrips.htm
or check out buffalobrothers.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 3:30:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/28/2011 3:30:50 PM EDT by 45stops-em-quick]
Just be aware that most if not all, nice SAA stocks require fitting, to the actual weapon that they're being mounted to.  ETA, want to drool, check out Nutmeg Sports.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 8:51:37 PM EDT
Very nice revolver.  The USFA is by far my favorite SAA manufacturer.  You could go ivory or Tru Ivory.  These are real ivory.

As to wood, look at Collins Craft grips.  Here is a kit that you do yourself.  I have thought about getting a kit for my SAA so I can send out my ivory ones for some scratching.
http://www.collinscraftgrips.com/kits.php
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 1:19:47 PM EDT
Most SAA grips will need to be FITTED. So many frame variations, I have SELDOM seen grips that will fit up good enough right out of the box.
So...send it off to get them fitted.

I'm a huge fan of IVORY on a nice SAA such as yours.

These were from Nutmeg Sports...he's online...and a MASTER at fitting them.

FN in MT
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 10:57:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2011 10:59:38 AM EDT by argolfer]
Hmmmm... I do like the way the ivory grips look.  Maybe I'll check them out along with the walnut grips.

Originally Posted By MHP237:
Most SAA grips will need to be FITTED. So many frame variations, I have SELDOM seen grips that will fit up good enough right out of the box.
So...send it off to get them fitted.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h274/montanaguy375/USFAivory1.jpg

I'm a huge fan of IVORY on a nice SAA such as yours.

These were from Nutmeg Sports...he's online...and a MASTER at fitting them.

FN in MT

Frank???  You're the one that got me started down the USFA path!  Remember this one??

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:47:26 PM EDT
Of course I remember You. Hows that old girl shooting??

It DOES absolutely NEED grips too.  I bought a set of plain Walnuts to fit to it, but never got around to it.

The fitting is THE deal.

FN in MT
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:20:58 PM EDT
Shoots wonderfully!!  I'm so glad you sold it to me.  Its one of my sons favorite pistols that I own.  I can't tell you how many hours I have fondled her
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:31:07 AM EDT
I knew she was going to a good home!  Glad she's being cared for pproperly and appreciated.

I think part of her turned into a Wilson Combat 1911   I forgot what the gun du jour was that prompted the sale. thoough II seldom shot it anyway. Had thought about CAS but didn't like to wear cowboy boots..

FN in MT
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:28:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By argolfer:
I just picked up this USFA Single Action and would like to get some new grips - preferably walnut - and had a few questions.

What is the difference between 1 piece and 2 piece (besides the obvious)?  Where is a good place to find them?  Do they make some that are oversized?

Please post any pics you may have of grips you like.

Thanks!
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww139/familyguy4_photobucket/IMG_7044.jpg

Got anymore pics of that beauty?

I've been lusting over a USFA Single action in 45 Colt. I'm leaning toward the low profile hammer upgrade that Long Hunter does, once they start taking orders again.

Top Top