Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2005 1:56:21 PM EDT
Actually, it's more than my first Sig, it's also my first handgun.

I LOVE this thing. It is a CPO grade 1 that looks damn near NIB. Has the stainless slide. If it hadn't of been for the Used sticker on it, I'd of thought it was NIB. Brand new barrel too.

Haven't fired it yet, but I kinda stuck my thumb in the way and felt the break point of the single action and I'm in love. That is the smoothest pistol trigger I've ever felt.

I think the only gripes I don't have is that it doesn't lock the slide back with an empty magazine. I havent fired it yet so I hope thats normal, and that it will still hold the slide back when the mag is empty'd. Then my other grip is the slide release is so heavy. Gonna have to get used to that. Other than that, it's perfect. Magazines are incredibly well designed and easy to load. The pistol is comfortable and fits like a glove. Don't have to maneuver the slightest to release the mag. Perfect positioning of the controls.

The weight is AWESOME too. I'm loving the metal frame. It feels like a pistol, not like a plastic toy. My first and definately not last. I'm doomed... first the AR's, then the C&R's.. now Sigs... gonna be poorer than poor
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats and post some pics.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Pics it is

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#3]
HEHE , I got a grade 1 P226 on Saturday , it looks spankin new too

Ain't it Great ?  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
... it doesn't lock the slide back with an empty magazine. I havent fired it yet so I hope thats normal, ... Then my other grip is the slide release is so heavy. ...

That’s not normal.

Take the slide off and insert the empty mag into the frame and see if the mag follower pushes the slide stop up – it should.

You might need to disassemble the mag and clean it.

Or you might need to replace the mag spring (note that the older German-made mags didn’t have very strong springs to begin with).

While not likely, it also possible the mag follower is damaged.  It’s also at least remotely possible that the slide stop or the mating notch in the slide has a problem.

I’ve never seen a Sig with a really heavy slide stop lockup.  If it’s really bad you can probably lighten it by careful stoning of the slide stop.  If you try this, don’t get carried away or it won’t lock the slide back solidly.

Don’t touch the slide notch!  If you mess up the slide stop you can replace it pretty cheaply.  You don’t want to know what a new slide would cost!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... it doesn't lock the slide back with an empty magazine. I havent fired it yet so I hope thats normal, ... Then my other grip is the slide release is so heavy. ...

That’s not normal.

Take the slide off and insert the empty mag into the frame and see if the mag follower pushes the slide stop up – it should.

You might need to disassemble the mag and clean it.

Or you might need to replace the mag spring (note that the older German-made mags didn’t have very strong springs to begin with).

While not likely, it also possible the mag follower is damaged.  It’s also at least remotely possible that the slide stop or the mating notch in the slide has a problem.

I’ve never seen a Sig with a really heavy slide stop lockup.  If it’s really bad you can probably lighten it by careful stoning of the slide stop.  If you try this, don’t get carried away or it won’t lock the slide back solidly.

Don’t touch the slide notch!  If you mess up the slide stop you can replace it pretty cheaply.  You don’t want to know what a new slide would cost!!!

Thanks for the tips. It all of a sudden started locking back about 50% of the time. Figured it must be a heavy new spring in there that needs to get worked out a bit.

The mags say Germany on them, so I assume they're German Maybe I'll get a couple Wolff Springs for them.

The slide release was stiff when there was no rounds in the magazine to be fed. After a couple of times of letting the slide hit home with no rounds in the mag, I read that was a bad thing to do and stopped. Went outside and tried a loaded mag, and it was a light slide release, as expected.

So I think the only thing that needs replacements are the mag springs for now.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:09:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
... The slide release was stiff when there was no rounds in the magazine to be fed. ...

Ahh!  What’s happening is that the mag follower is pushing up on the slide stop, making it hard to release.  I shoulda thought of that!!  

Incidentally, when a round is not being chambered and I’m releasing the slide by thumbing down the slide lock, I’ll moderately squeeze the slide sides with my weak hand (hand in front of the triggerguard, thumb on one side of the slide and fingers on the other side).  This slows down the forward motion of the slide by friction.

Do this a couple of times and you should be able to figure out the right amount of pressure needed to let the slide go forward somewhat gently.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... The slide release was stiff when there was no rounds in the magazine to be fed. ...

Ahh!  What’s happening is that the mag follower is pushing up on the slide stop, making it hard to release.  I shoulda thought of that!!  

Incidentally, when a round is not being chambered and I’m releasing the slide by thumbing down the slide lock, I’ll moderately squeeze the slide sides with my weak hand (hand in front of the triggerguard, thumb on one side of the slide and fingers on the other side).  This slows down the forward motion of the slide by friction.

Do this a couple of times and you should be able to figure out the right amount of pressure needed to let the slide go forward somewhat gently.

Thanks for the info. After reading this and SigForum, it's saved me a few headaches. I thought my new pistol was a lemon or something. I had never even HEARD of a slide catch that was that hard to depress.  But it all makes sense now .

Going to go shoot it at a friend's property in about half an hour. Range report to come
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#8]
congrats

i purchased my 229 as a CPO and have been nothing but impressed with my gun,  no issues over a year later and 1000+ rounds later

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#9]
purdy

I'm gettin one in the next year I hope
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Congrats on your purchase! It looks fantastic, one of my favorite compacts of all time. I'm hoping to get my very own next year as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top