Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 4:24:18 PM EDT
I saved up for a month or so and finally found something I wanted. I'm only 20 so I am limited to what I can buy face to face, so I didn't have a huge selection.

I got it on friday and made it to the range tonight.

I seem to be shooting to the left alot. The one ones to the left of the head were left handed shots, but i did actually hit the paper! ABout half way through the box I started trying to control my breathing and the shots got better. I think next time I go I am going to switch out the grips and see what it feels like.

Thanks TX15!

oh and the 2 low lones were nut shots
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Ya, I think he's dead. hing
Nice shooting.
When I was 21 I got my first handgun. I sold it about 2 weeks later when I realized that I was not responsible enough to be trusted with firearm. heWhat I'm trying to say is, have a good look in the mirror. Ask yourself "Am I an idiot?" If the answers an honest "No" then I hope you love the gun. If you answer yes I do tend to drink too much and wave guns around.hould

All that from a guy who is only 29....holly shit I'm 30hock.gif
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:22:15 PM EDT
[#2]
One thing you have to watch is,

I do the same thing, or did atleast, with a Glock, it has a longer trigger pull, or atleast a annoying trigger safety, that Para probably has what a 7-8 lb trigger?

You'll find that the first shots, you know, you'll squeeze, but as you go through more and more you'll jerk, and as you do, your shots will start grouping to the left, or atleast going left, since you're apparently right handed, did the same thing with me, just focus on the trigger pull, and consider getting that trigger looked at.

Might be nothing, might be everything.

and I might be wrong, but still, try that out, see if it works, watch your trigger pull and be careful not to jerk with your Index.

EDIT: BTW, the reason I'm really pointing this out, is this is your as you said, first hand gun you've bought or possessed, so, I'm just trying to give you a pointer.

EDIT for the 2nd time (this is getting to be problematic.): A 18Z I known and talked to one day, after I had fired my first hand gun, I said I had a really good grouping, and I was shocked I could shoot well.

His answer surprised me, he said "I'm not at all. " he then proceeded to tell me how beginner Hand Gunners, or people brand new with a firearm, tend to not have formed the bad habits that regular or experienced shooters form and have to break, the trick is, keeping and learning good habits for shooting.

Anyway, Congrats, I'll shut up now, seeing as I don't own a 1911 myself yet. EDIT For the third time: Sorry, it just hit me I never explained the long trigger pull jerk thing, as you get fatigued, etc, you lose your discipline, or atleast, you do what's comfortable, and as you pull, you'll probably find your grip changes, atleast in the top portion of your hand, and it can move it just that little bit which seems to be the problem, so in closing (yes really, that was it) let me ask you, Were your shots center mast when you started or were they farther out?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I know I am responsible enought to own one. I made that decision before I ever got my first gun. The trigger on it is amazingly light. I think I found my problem though. Hopefully it will be fixed on the next range trip(sometime this week).  This trip was mostly just to go get to shoot it.

only question I have though is about the adjustable rear sight. I can see the side to side adjustment being useful. But the up and down? Doesn't seem like you would be far enough away from the targets to need to use it.  Oh yea that was on the 20 yd one I believe.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice start.  Keep buying.    

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:39:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Nice start.  Keep buying.    

img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/Colt_SBR/57985sm.gif  

plus 1
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe you are healing.  Keep your trigger finger away from the frame...only the tip of the first pad of your index finger should touch the gun.  Press the trigger straight back.  Trigger control is the key to fireing a pistol accurately.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:13:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Maybe you are healing.  Keep your trigger finger away from the frame...only the tip of the first pad of your index finger should touch the gun.  Press the trigger straight back.  Trigger control is the key to fireing a pistol accurately.

That helped some. I also changed the way my arms were while I was holding the pistol and the groups actually shrunk.  I'll post a pic later tonight. Any other tips you guys have would be great.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I've shot Berettas, Sigs, HKs, and Glocks in the past.

But two days ago, I held my first 1911.  I am in LOVE.  WHY AM I ONLY 18??????

Nice pistol, I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#10]
You and Me Both and the Why am I 18 thing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#11]
check out this vid This guy is great. This is a really good instructional video.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You and Me Both and the Why am I 18 thing.

I'm only 20
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That helped some. I also changed the way my arms were while I was holding the pistol and the groups actually shrunk.  I'll post a pic later tonight. Any other tips you guys have would be great.

Practice and more practice.  If you have not done a lot of handgun shooting, find an instructor in the area.  It helped me immensely when I was starting out with pistols.  I grew up with rifles and shotguns but no real pistol experience.  The instruction really helped to show what I was doing wrong.

Nice start on your 1911 buying.  You do know that one is just not enough though?  First the Para, then a Springer, then a Kimber, maybe a Dan Wesson…

It’s a real sickness that has no cure.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been shooting .22 pistols for awhile and then the ocassional 9mm and .45 when someone had one, but this is the first pistol I can actually call mine.

ETA: This is the other 100rnd box I shot today

this is after the .45 and my AR.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#15]
That is a good gun to start out with.  Take care of it and it'll take care of you.

I wish I had ponied up the extra cash to get a decent .45... wasted two years and quite a bit of ammo on a crappy gun that wouldn't group for anything.

I am by no means a good shooter, but the gun does what it is supposed to.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2155000-2155999/2155542_31_full.jpg

I like the 5 smaller targets on one paper vs one large profile.  I can see how my shot pattern progresses per magazine.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2155000-2155999/2155542_27_full.jpg
(same gun for center, I was playing with stance and LH/RH with my MkII on the outter targets).

If you need to find "cheap" mags let me know.  I have a few links.

ETA, my dad and I found that the Houge grips help control the recoil a little better than the stock plastic ones.  Try for yourself, but you will probably see that the wrap arounds help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top