Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/25/2005 8:32:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 8:33:19 PM EDT by The_Gooch]
Went to go pick up my CAI import Mak yesterday and got to shoot 100rds out of her. It fed the Winchester(S&B) and Barnaul FMJ without a hitch. Wow! These things shoot pretty good. Not that great of a trigger, but I got used to it. It shoots as good or better than my PPK/s, and does not "bite" the web of your hand like the Walther. The crappy smooth import grips came off when I got home and I put on the Bulgarian red grips that came with it. One mag matches, the other does not. The holster that came with it is on the left, and the one on the right is an unissued Russian, dated 1993. I also have two spare E. German mags so far, and have two more on the way. I did not mind the sights at all and shot pretty well with them. The blue is nice and bright, about 98%+. It is a 1998 production Mak, so it didnt see too much use.

Click for larger picture

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:50:40 PM EDT
Nice! With the red grips, it looks just like mine minus the rust.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:07:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:45:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RS39:
Not that great of a trigger, but I got used to it.

Mine got much better after a few hundred rounds of normal clean/oil, no special trigger job needed.

Thats what i'm hoping for. This pistol has not seen much use, so I hope a few boxes of Fiocchi and Barnaul will smooth it out a bit more. The trigger is not all that "gritty", it just needs to have a smoother break. I have a PPK/s, and the trigger is about the same on it, so I have gotten used to a rather heavy and mushy let off, so shooting this Mak is not that unnatural for me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:15:45 PM EDT
how much?
she's a pretty one.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:10:11 PM EDT
Very nice , - mine also smoothed out after some shooting.

The Fiocchi ammo is good stuff too.

!!Warning !! - after a while you'll start looking for a Russian Mak
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:42:25 PM EDT
I love my Maks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:38:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:
how much?
she's a pretty one.

A little over $200 with all of the DOJ fees and sales tax, so not too bad. I would cost about the same if I had got it from a distributor(most are sold out of them).

!!Warning !! - after a while you'll start looking for a Russian Mak

LoL, I would love to find a Russian PM military surplus Mak but they are rare out here. I have seen a few commercial Maks and high-caps, but no .mil. I hardly ever see Bulgarians either, and I was lucky to find this one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:55:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:51:04 AM EDT

PS- mine is 100% on Barnaul HP, which also leaves freakish perfect holes in targets for very tidy scoring

Just wait 2-300 rounds before messing with the trigger. Mine is very clean breaking now.

So you think it is okay to use HP in 9mm Mak? I always thought that it was better to use ball in .380/ 9mm Mak to get penetration. How good are the Russian HP's? Do they expand at all, do they shed the jacket?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:18:57 PM EDT
I have my father's Mak that he bought cheap. It's Bulgarian. It hasn't had any problems. In my opinion it kicks quite a bit for such a little bullet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:25:24 PM EDT
I've got a bulgy too.

it was like $139... how could I pass it up?

pretty fun little gun. I got a set of the pierce grips for $20 and threw thm on there.

I looked at replacing those little crappy sights, but for $139... how much do I want to invest? :) got a stack of mags from tapco... I think they were like 5.99 each. great little tool box gun.

the Barnul work great, I has some other 9x18 that was some commie stuff. It worked fine too. I bought some re-loads from a local manufacturer at a gun show and the OAL was a liitle long so I didn't trust them... they were almost too long to feed out of the mag.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:26:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Gooch:

PS- mine is 100% on Barnaul HP, which also leaves freakish perfect holes in targets for very tidy scoring

Just wait 2-300 rounds before messing with the trigger. Mine is very clean breaking now.

So you think it is okay to use HP in 9mm Mak? I always thought that it was better to use ball in .380/ 9mm Mak to get penetration. How good are the Russian HP's? Do they expand at all, do they shed the jacket?

The Barnaul and Silver Bear are reliable expanders.

Silver Bear 115gr does over 1000 fps, and a ball load would penetrate almost as much as 9mm ball. I don't want that much penetration, so I carry HP's. .25 and .32 ACP are calibers that do well with ball.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:28:27 AM EDT
I've always liked the makarov. A true piece of cold war history and (usually) a decent shooter.

Looks like you got a good deal!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:56:51 PM EDT
You'll enjoy it. The Bulgarian workmanship is excellent for the price.

I was impressed enough to purchase a Bulgy AR-74 kit to build up as a companion piece. The best looking out-of-the-box parts kit I've seen yet (notwithstanding somewhat porous wood -- not really a workmanship issue).
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:52:59 AM EDT
I've had my Bulgi for a while and have easliy put about 1,000 rounds through it. I love the pistol. I've never had any problems, no ftf/fte/whatever. It is so reliable I carry it in my dayplanner as an off-body piece.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:36:34 AM EDT
Two other places for info on Maks:

Link #1

Link #2
Top Top