Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2001 7:21:11 AM EDT
Well, I was pissed about it but I shot 233 in the TX CHL test yesterday with my p90.....and came away with a blister on my chest from three pieces of brass from the guy next to me during the test.

Wife shot well, 224 and we, of course, both passed the written (piece o' cake).

Guy teaching had a cool HS2000 as he called it, in .40 anyone know of it? One gal borrowed it and loved it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Springfield Armory scarfed up the importation of the "Croation Sensation" HS2000 pistols and have dubbed them the Springfield Armory X-treme Duty (XD)and a higher price tag. Neat thing is they introduced them in .40 S&W and .357 Sig along with the 9mm that were originally offered. Having Springfield backing them should prove to be beneficial. I haven't had the chance to try one out but owners of the pre-Springfield era variants raved about them.

www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl-xduty.shtml

Rick
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well, I was pissed about it but I shot 233 in the TX CHL test yesterday with my p90.....and came away with a blister on my chest from three pieces of brass from the guy next to me during the test.

I ran into (literally) Greg Garrett at the fun show this weekend.  He's the guy who used to teach the Carter's CHL class, but now he just runs their program for them.  How did you enjoy the guy who is teaching now?  My wife has to split up the class because we have a 7 month old who can't be without her for long periods of time, and he said it wouldn't be an issue.  Was the shooting portion anything like I described when we talked?  Did you guys have anyone fail?

Guy teaching had a cool HS2000 as he called it, in .40 anyone know of it? One gal borrowed it and loved it.

The HS2000 was a neat pistol.  Now they're Springfield XD's, and the markup is over 50% from the original HS2000 price.  If I can find one of the original HS2000's for the earlier price of $300, I'm going to pick one up.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#4]
GBT and all,

Bruce Gilchrist taught and he was a great guy.

I think he's a deputy sheriff..and LOE for sure.

He kept it fun, picked on the women, but got the points across.

Shooting was 3 yd, 7 yd, 15 yd.

20 rds 3 yds,  1 round salvos for 5 rounds
2 round salvos for 6 and 4 rounds
a 5 round salvo and 2/3 round
7 yards 1 round salvo for 5
etc
last ten shots @15yds.. 5 rounds 2/3
then 5 rounds in 15 seconds.

Instructor was wonderful to all. One woman's husband had picked her weapon out. She could not manage it. The instructor let her use his HS2000. He let yet another woman use it also due to her weapon being difficult for her.

long day. 8:15 to 18:45!

Cheers
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:56:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The HS2000 is an awesome weapon! This is the only pistol I have that has never malfunctioned. A few of the guys at the DFW shoot tried it out and seemed to like it. I was going to change the sights but it shoots very well with the factory sights. The best part was the $250 price tag.

The shooting portion of the CHL course is so easy it's scary. You would think that they would make it a little more challenging. Another scary thing was during my renewal course last year. There were 4 of us and 2 of the other guys didn't know how their handguns worked! The instructor had to give them a quick lesson on the range.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:31:13 AM EDT
[#6]
bunghole,

I agree. There were people that did not know how to work their firearms. Our class was very large.

I had called the decock safety lever on my bride's p95 a "Safety" and so when our instructor told her to decock, she was a bit lost. He gave me a dirty look, but once she understood it was no biggie. Plus he made everyone put the mag in, release the slide, and then decock prior to shooting each salvo.

My bride wanted to know why I had not trained her to do that every time she shoots.

She understands much better now and is not abandoning shooting just because she's passed the test, which is good.

Cheers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top