Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/6/2007 5:56:15 PM EDT
http://www.local12.com/News/Local/story.aspx?content_id=AD604FB9-AA4E-4A0A-86AF-DF1925ABCA2A&gsa=true

One of the most popular handguns has become one of the most controversial and potentially dangerous. It's called the Glock.

You've seen them in movies, on TV and likely in the hands of local police.

Depending on who you ask, a Glock is either the safest or most dangerous handgun ever made.

Firearms instructor Ryan Sullivan is a fan of the .40 caliber Glock.

45-year police veteran Ray Hesler is not.

Six years ago, after qualifying with his Glock .40 at the range, Felicity's chief sat down at his desk with the magazine and ammo in his car.

"Now everybody says I had to touch the trigger, but I still remember picking if up like this so I could move it over here where we could get it in my desk," said Ray Hesler, Felicity Police Chief. "And that's the results. Right there, came out there, hit the wall, hit the ceiling up there."

The shot blew off Hesler's middle finger.

Nationally, so many officers have accidentally shot themselves with the weapon the condition's called "Glock leg."

A widely circulated video shows a DEA officer shooting himself with a Glock in front of Florida school kids.

Glock claims more than 65% of the law enforcement handgun market. Thousands of civilians own them as well.

"They're very simple," said Dan Lovett, Shooter's Supply. "They're very reliable, and for what they are, they're exceptionally accurate."

At Shooter's Supply, a third of the handguns sold are Glocks. The military can even purchase a fully automatic version.

But with all their fans, Glocks have also had lots of problems.

Police departments including New York, Washington D.C., Louisville and the Indiana State Police have all had issues with Glocks that jam, won't fire, or blow up.

Another controversial point is you must pull the trigger to disassemble a Glock. If there's a bullet in the chamber, it will fire.

Pierce Township Police Chief Jim Smith got rid of Glocks in favor of guns which can't fire when the magazine is ejected.

"I owe it to not only the officers to supply them with the best and safest pistol but also our community," said Col. James Smith, Pierce Township Police Chief. "You want a pistol that's as accurate as can possibly be and you also want to defer, do your very best to eliminate liability."

No external safety is another issue.

"People look at this pistol and say there's not an external safety, actually there is," said Lovett. "It's right here on the trigger. You automatically disengage it when you pull the trigger. I can literally break this off before I can make this pistol go bang, unless something presses this. So, if I carry it in a holster that covers the trigger it's not gonna go bang."

Two holsters were recalled after straps made Glocks fire as officers put them away.

Glock critics will tell you one of the problems with the Glock is the amount of trigger pull it takes to fire the gun. That's the amount of pressure it takes on the trigger to make it fire. A double action revolver takes 10 or 11 pounds. But in the half cocked stage, it just takes a tap, and that's where the Glock is all the time.

Glock is now offering a much heavier trigger pull, but most still fire with much less.

"My personal opinion, it's a training issue," said Ryan Sullivan, firearms instructor. "With proper training and practice of technique, you'll create a certain muscle memory where you won't have accidents. It's not a pretty gun by any means, but there's not a lot to it, it's a simple, accurate firearm."

But the reality is most law enforcement officers only use their weapon once or twice a year on the range.

Experts believe that means extensive training should be a serious consideration for anyone who owns one of the most controversial handguns in history.

In many cases, where police departments have had problems with Glocks, they still use them.

Most of the recent problems are with .40 and .45 calibers.

For cops, the company will switch them out with less problematic .9 millimeters.

Glock is also involved in dozens of private lawsuits. Routinely, any settlements require the other parties to not talk about the agreements they reach.

Link Posted: 2/6/2007 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to do more surfing at work...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=544444

And the story should be titled - Glocks Are Dangerous To Morons
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Ouch. Damn...well it's got more relevency here dammitt!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I seen that. Seems to me that they would do a little run like this on any gun just to make them more icky. Total BS. The damn thing wont fire as long as the trigger is not pulled. The sad part is is that most ND are from the folks who are protecting and servin us. You would think they would be the safest and better shots out of all of us? Go figure. Just to clarify I am not talking about all cops. Just the ones who chose not to be proficient with the tools that they carry everyday.
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two Glocks, a 17 and a 21. Both are great pistols. Both need an external safety. Never had an accidental discharge with either. I always worry about the possibility of an accidental discharge when a round is in the chamber. I have a Beretta 92 that I like a lot more, DA/SA, Nice safety, half cock, external hammer.  I'll probably never buy another glock unless they put a safety on it. The only safe way I can see to carry a Glock is with an empty chamber. And you may need that 2 seconds required to make the pistol ready to fire.

I can sleep with my Beretta if necessary, and it would take a conscious effort to shoot myself with a loaded Beretta. Not so with a loaded Glock.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, the external safety complaint AGAIN....

Hmm, mentions the 10-11 pound trigger pull for a revolver, but no it's lack of an external safety.

Strange, my issued Sig P220 DAO does not have an external safety either
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 11:54:09 PM EDT
[#6]
On the muzzle side, Glocks are kinda supposed to be dangerous. On the trigger side, they are only dangerous if the person holding it is an idiot.
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 12:05:04 AM EDT
[#7]
That just goes to show no matter who you are, if you do not train as much as possible and if you do not know your weapons, you will be as stupid as that guy.

Self correcting problem!
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 5:08:05 AM EDT
[#8]
glocks are only daungerous for our wallets
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 5:15:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

How about morons are dangerous.
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 6:47:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Awhile back i posted about the fact that i've been carrying glocks since 86', i put some amusing antidotes about many of the misconceptions at the time, and some fond memories of carrying my glock,(like inside my dress blues when i got married).

I guess i also should have mentioned that i have never had an AD, now anyone can make a mistake, so im not gonna say that someone is an idiot for having one, but i will say that anyone that blames an inanimate object for thier mistake is speaking volumes about thier lack of integrity.

The F**king pistol wont fire unless you pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 7:11:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I want my hangun to be dangerous.
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1 My Glocks go bang whenever I want them to, and no safety for retards to mess with.
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+1!

That's why I started investing in boxes of Bryco Jennings!  I just load one round in the chambers of all of them and throw them at criminals like hand grenades!

Seriously...I think that the OP posted this as sarcasm toward those that actually think that Glocks are like a suicide gun.  Glocks are as safe as the person holding them.  Give it to an idiot and you will get VERY poor results.  Sorta a YMMV deal.  I love my G19 and I've never shot myself once!  
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have two Glocks, a 17 and a 21. Both are great pistols. Both need an external safety. Never had an accidental discharge with either. I always worry about the possibility of an accidental discharge when a round is in the chamber. I have a Beretta 92 that I like a lot more, DA/SA, Nice safety, half cock, external hammer.  I'll probably never buy another glock unless they put a safety on it. The only safe way I can see to carry a Glock is with an empty chamber. And you may need that 2 seconds required to make the pistol ready to fire.

I can sleep with my Beretta if necessary, and it would take a conscious effort to shoot myself with a loaded Beretta. Not so with a loaded Glock.

Just my .02

Well if you can't handle the Glock in a safe manner, maybe you should sell the ones you already own.  Leave it to those who can handle the "unsafe" handguns.

-MEI
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#15]
this argument is old and tired but i never get sick of reading about it
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my .02

Well if you can't handle the Glock in a safe manner, maybe you should sell the ones you already own.  Leave it to those who can handle the "unsafe" handguns.

-MEI

It takes a conscious effort to shoot yourself with a Glock too...it's called PUTTING YOUR FINGER ON THE TRIGGER!!!  Why are you even complaining about this?  Do you point your Beretta at your face and pull the trigger while the safety is on?  I assume no.  So why would you worry about the same thing with your Glock unless you are using your external safety as a crutch for proper firearm handling.  Do you automatically put your finger on the trigger on the Beretta?  I hope not so again, this should not be an issue with your Glock either.  The only thing you've listed are things that make you feel warm and fuzzy inside and have nothing to do with actual firearm safety.  If your Glock is outside of a holster, it should not have a round in the chamber...well...unless you're using it or on the way to unloading it.  If your Beretta is not in a holster, guess what!  You shouldn't have a round in the chamber!  Manual safety or not!

Sorry that a Glock makes safety YOUR responsibility instead of letting most of it fall back onto the gun.  How dare Glock make a handgun that forces you to actually make an effort (all be-it a simple, common sense effort) to not shoot yourself in the face with it.  Shame on them for making a gun that shoots bullets when you put your finger on the trigger!  They should be punished with lawsuits filed by idiots that don't know better.  Oh wait...they all ready are!  
Link Posted: 2/8/2007 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Make sure you watch the video in the link. Most of the shooters could seriously benefit from some good training. And poor Officer Hesler should have kept his finger off the trigger when moving his loaded, unholstered Glock on his desk, and his hand from in front of the barrel.

"Glock leg!" I love it
Link Posted: 2/8/2007 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Come on guys!! Glocks ARE extremly dangerous PERIOD!!!!!      to anybody attempting to assault/rob/kill/mame or otherwise disrupt my state of being.
Link Posted: 2/8/2007 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Glocls are extremely dangerous? Maybe you shouldn't walk around with your finger on the trigger. I have had mine for 5 years and no problems at all.
Link Posted: 2/8/2007 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#20]
It may be true that Glocks are less forgiving of careless handling than many other designs. This is not a bad thing as it forces a person to use that safely located between his ears. The only AD I ever had was with, of all things A Revolver!
Link Posted: 2/8/2007 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#21]
"I wouldn't carry the son of a bitch if it wasn't!"
Link Posted: 2/9/2007 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Those Glocks just keep shooting folks ...all by themselves.  Heres a little something I posted somewhere else about this story... for your entertainment:

I wish they would have contacted me because I have a TRUE dangerous Glock story:

This morning when I awoke, I discovered something very distrubing. I went to the computer, checked the internet history, and found out that my G30 had been on myspace last night without my permission. Evidently, after I went to sleep, my G30 snuck out of his holster, went to the computer and got on myspace, and then contacted a "not so good" acquaintance. The G30 then proceeded to sneak out the window and diddy-bop down to the corner to hang out with the other delinquent handguns.

It turns out, one of the guys had an ammo ball and the group started tossing it around for fun. Then, one of them jokingly hid the ammo ball in my G30s chamber and pretended it was lost and forgot about it. As they playfully, and recklessly wrestled around like boys will do, one of them accidently put his finger on my G30s trigger and shot himself in the grip. I can imagine it was very embarrassing due to the story (lie) they told denying that they even had an ammo ball, and claiming that none of them had touched my G30s trigger. After a thorough questioning, one of them finally admitted to touching my G30s trigger without checking his chamber, but then said that it wasnt his fault because my G30s trigger was "too sensitive"...and everyone knew it! He then began teasing my G30 anout his sensitive trigger to the point that he wicked oil all over the place. I comforted him and wiped his oil.

But dont worry! I now have my little G30 under control. Since then, my G30 has been grounded to his holster except for when in use, or to be unloaded and take a bath. He has further been scolded to never play with his ammo balls, and to always be aware of where they are...and to NEVER let anyone touch his trigger unless safely pointing at something he wishes to throw his ammo balls at.

Link Posted: 2/9/2007 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Those Glocks just keep shooting folks ...all by themselves.  Heres a little something I posted somewhere else about this story... for your entertainment:

I wish they would have contacted me because I have a TRUE dangerous Glock story:

This morning when I awoke, I discovered something very distrubing. I went to the computer, checked the internet history, and found out that my G30 had been on myspace last night without my permission. Evidently, after I went to sleep, my G30 snuck out of his holster, went to the computer and got on myspace, and then contacted a "not so good" acquaintance. The G30 then proceeded to sneak out the window and diddy-bop down to the corner to hang out with the other delinquent handguns.

It turns out, one of the guys had an ammo ball and the group started tossing it around for fun. Then, one of them jokingly hid the ammo ball in my G30s chamber and pretended it was lost and forgot about it. As they playfully, and recklessly wrestled around like boys will do, one of them accidently put his finger on my G30s trigger and shot himself in the grip. I can imagine it was very embarrassing due to the story (lie) they told denying that they even had an ammo ball, and claiming that none of them had touched my G30s trigger. After a thorough questioning, one of them finally admitted to touching my G30s trigger without checking his chamber, but then said that it wasnt his fault because my G30s trigger was "too sensitive"...and everyone knew it! He then began teasing my G30 anout his sensitive trigger to the point that he wicked oil all over the place. I comforted him and wiped his oil.

But dont worry! I now have my little G30 under control. Since then, my G30 has been grounded to his holster except for when in use, or to be unloaded and take a bath. He has further been scolded to never play with his ammo balls, and to always be aware of where they are...and to NEVER let anyone touch his trigger unless safely pointing at something he wishes to throw his ammo balls at.

See!!!  Just more proof that Glocks are extremely dangerous!  Thank you for sharing your story of pure fact and truth omnisi.  I will sleep better at night.

Oh, and I started storing my Glock in its new specialty "safety container" that I got recently!

For those wondering, that's a solid cement block and I store my unloaded G19 inside of it.  That way, to access it I'll have to chisel away the solid cement surroundings to get to it and prevent it from loading itself and shooting me in the face from across the room without any form of interaction.
Link Posted: 2/9/2007 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Do you carry it IWB?
Link Posted: 2/9/2007 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#25]
My dad taught me basic gun safety when I was like 9years.  I have been around guns and shooting competetively my whole life!!  My Glock 22 and 17 have never failed me!!  The gun is always loaded.  Never point your gun at something you are not willing to DESTROY.  Know your target and what is beyond it.  Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target.

Pretty simple stuff?

Link Posted: 2/9/2007 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Do you carry it IWB?

My CSSC (Cement Specialty Safety Container)?  Yes.  It comes with a special harness to distribute the 40 lbs across my body and then I had to go buy all new pants.  Went from 32" waist to 48" but it was well worth it.  I do it for the kids!

Oh, and this is what I carry my magazine in for it.

I just drag it behind me.  It's not so bad.

EDIT:  Just wanted to add
Link Posted: 2/9/2007 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#27]
This just in......

Stupid still hurts and can result in injury or death.

Who write this shit?  The Brady campaign?  

Link Posted: 2/10/2007 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
My dad taught me basic gun safety when I was like 9years.  I have been around guns and shooting competetively my whole life!!  My Glock 22 and 17 have never failed me!!  The gun is always loaded.  Never point your gun at something you are not willing to DESTROY.  Know your target and what is beyond it.  Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target.

Pretty simple stuff?

+1
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#29]
i usually dont bother replying here... but i really dislike when people rant about shooting themselves... guns dont just... "shoot people" randomly. Theres a POINT behind the trigger, and you should never pull it, or have your finger on it unless you MEAN to shoot something. Any gun works like this, and a manual safety wont protect you from your own stupidity!

Unfortunatly, theres no cure for low IQ...
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I love my Glock.  

I don't see how it'll miss fire unless you pull the trigger.  I agree w/ everyone and think he was probably an idiot.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 1:13:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Another controversial point is you must pull the trigger to disassemble a Glock. If there's a bullet in the chamber, it will fire.

OMG! Really?

It seems to me that even non-gun owners would know this. This article was written by Liberals for Liberals. Someone needs to throw this reporter to the Gunny.
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#32]
This is my safety sir.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Love Glocks, Dept. took my G22 away in 2002 and told me I could pick a Sig, any Sig.  We deal with alot of wild fires and somebidy convinced the Sheriff the Glock would melt.  Yeah, he's not an elected official anymore.

Glock has some problems once in a while but think of the volumn of Glocks out there.  Anything else with that volumn would have more problems I believe.

My Sig 226 broke the trigger return spring second time at the range.
Sig's are good though, I just prefer Glocks.

Link Posted: 2/14/2007 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 2/14/2007 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I think my SUV might be dangerous. When I press the long pedal on the far right, it takes off!   Hell, one could run over things in such a dangerous vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I think my SUV might be dangerous. When I press the long pedal on the far right, it takes off!   Hell, one could run over things in such a dangerous vehicle.

There's should be some sort of safety on your SUV that keeps you from being able to put it in drive, then getting out and sticking your head under the front wheel.  In fact, you just shouldn't be able to drive.

BAN ALL AUTOMOBILES FOR THE CHILDREN!!!

Here's a source of just how dangerous your evil assault vehicle...err I mean SUV really is.  You should be ashamed owning a car!

2002 United States death statistics
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 7:22:08 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's should be some sort of safety on your SUV that keeps you from being able to put it in drive, then getting out and sticking your head under the front wheel.  In fact, you just shouldn't be able to drive.

BAN ALL AUTOMOBILES FOR THE CHILDREN!!!

Here's a source of just how dangerous your evil assault vehicle...err I mean SUV really is.  You should be ashamed owning a car!

2002 United States death statistics

Your SUV likely DOES have a 'safety' that prevents you from shifting out of Park without first pressing the brake petal.

I know my truck does.
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#38]

Can we bash someone elses handgun now. This is getting old.
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Glocks ARE dangerous.  That's why I carry chamber empty...

Link Posted: 2/16/2007 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#40]

I call this one Bullshit.
IF you have to pull the trigger to disassemble your glock.. You are doing it wrong.

1.Make sure that your firearm isn't loaded.
2.Point the pistol in a safe direction and pull the trigger.
3.Hold the firearm and hold the slide back 1/10 inch.
4.Simultaneously, pull down the slide lock on both sides of the weapon.
5.Push the slide forward until is is fully separated from the receiver.

If after doing this, and the slide does not go forward, and comes off. You brought the slide to far back. And yes you would have to pull the trigger to release the slide.
the key is #3
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Why would you pull any trigger without checking to see if the chamber is empty?  That's a pretty basic safety rule.  If you don't know some BASIC safety rules like:  Dont put your finger on the trigger unless you're ready to fire and take the mag out and empty the chamber before you do anything with your gun.  You shouldnt handle a gun, external safety or not.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

IF you have to pull the trigger to disassemble your glock.. You are doing it wrong.

If after doing this, and the slide does not go forward, and comes off. You brought the slide to far back. And yes you would have to pull the trigger to release the slide.
the key is #3

Dude, wtf are you talking about.  #2 on your list is to pull the trigger.  

You do have to pull the trigger on a Glock to take it apart at some point or another.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#43]
height=8
Quoted:

the key is #3

Huh?  I'm sure I'm not the only one confused by your post.  You do indeed have to pull the trigger on your Glock to clean it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#44]
I am sorry for the confusion. The First two steps, I am assuming that the gun was already loaded with a round chambered.

I should have said that.

If that is the case you would have to release the Mag from the gun, and unchamber the round.
Varify the gun is empty. Once the slide goes forward again, Yes you would have to pull the trigger.
And procede with feild stripping the gun.

However if the gun is not cocked, and no round is in the chamber and you want to field strip the gun.

The steps 3-5 apply and there is no reason to pull the trigger to further release the slide.
I brought this up because if the slide is brought back just a tad to far when pulling down the slide lock, the slide will not advance forward and seperate from the main body. A trigger pull is necessary at this time to continue the field stripping.
I am not trying to confuse anyone, I was pointing out a small detail in #3, And by doing it wrong, it could lead the user to believe he had to pull the trigger in order to get the slide off.

Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#45]
i suffer from glock leg
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
i suffer from glock leg

I suffer from glock face
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Glocks are only dangerous if you say the following....but say it in your head and not aloud or you may have a discharge..."I am the only one qualified enough here to handle a fi-boom-rearm"
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#48]
+1 finger off the trigger is the best safety and why would anybody have a holster that might hang on the trigger, 1 to 10 with ten being the dumbest about a 25.

Drifter,
NRA Life Member

anti-gunner
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i suffer from glock leg

I suffer from glock face

If a mugger tried to rob me or break into my house, they'd suffer from glock chest twice and glock head once.  Then my floor would suffer from mop surface.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Yup, that's why I bought the XD45 cause it's not dangerous at all.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top