Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2005 7:18:35 PM EDT
I am about to buy a Glock 19. I haven't owned a glock for ten years.

I have a choice from the factory between the Glock night sights and Trijicon night sights. The Trijicons are $22 more expensive.

What's the difference, and what do you recommend?
Thanks.....Chad
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I have Trijicon on my G23 and love them.
Plus
Trijicon for an extra $22 ?
If you want them later they will cost alot more.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Try the Meprolight night sights.  They are cheaper, brighter, and slightly bigger than the Trijicon.  Trijicon is a bit overrated for pistol sights.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:53:42 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for Meprolights.  I have them on all of my glocks and love them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Heinies.

Or Yost-Bonitz retro sights, if ya need to rack it one handed they ought to help.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Trijicon,  only the best of the best sir.

TG
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Trijicon

None better!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm with you on this one.  I'll be getting some adjustables for the G19 I'll be suppressing
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Slight hijack...

Anyone got a set of Novaks on there Glock? Do they require any machine work or do they use the existing slots?

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Slight hijack...

Anyone got a set of Novaks on there Glock? Do they require any machine work or do they use the existing slots?

AFAIK, Novak sights for the Glock are all a "drop-in" fit; nowhere have I found any indication that the dovetail has to have any cutting done to it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I am about to buy a Glock 19. I haven't owned a glock for ten years.

I have a choice from the factory between the Glock night sights and Trijicon night sights. The Trijicons are $22 more expensive.

What's the difference, and what do you recommend?
Thanks.....Chad

Get Tijicon.  I have them on all five of my Glocks.  I wouldn't have anything else.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:58:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I have Ameriglo Smooth Operators.
They're basically Novak rear sights with a 0.155" wide notch, no white outlines, and it uses Trijicon tritium vials. The front sight is an "Operator" which is 0.125" wide and standard height, uses a trijicon vial and has a white ring around the vial. $81 shipped.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:18:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

+3
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I have Meps on my 36 and prefer them over the Trijicons. However, I will soon be purchasing a 19 or 23 and it will be outfitted with Heinie Straight-Eights. I shot very well with these sites on a 32 owned by a friend of mine.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:06:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Trijicon.  12 year warranty - how could you go wrong?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Since you asked about getting them from the factory, i say trijicons. i have nothing against trijicon, after all, they handle most of the inserts for the entire market.

BUT

HEINIES!!!! IMHO they are the best sight fit for glock pistols. i love mine, and if i ever buy another glock, ill buy the exact same sights all over again.

There is one flaw to the heinies and thats that they make it very hard to run the gun one handed - but thats the only one i have ever come into contact with.

Good luck, Let us know what you buy and if you like them. im sure youll be happy if you get the Trijicons

AA
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Considering you asked between factory night sights and Trijicons.  I would get the Trijicons all day long.  With the Trijicons, you are going to get a sharper appearance of the tritium tubes, a good sight picture, especially compared to Glock or Meprologht night sights, and the front sight is going to be screwed in, instead of staked on like the Glock sights are.

In my opinion, Mepro's are the ones that are overrated.  They simply got a good name because they are almost comparable to Trijicons, and lately the Ameriglo's, for people that are willing to accept  just  a little bit less to save some money.  But, the fact of the matter is, if you do some shopping, you can get Trijicons for the same price as Mepro's.  They may be a year or or two old, but with Mepro's you never know how old of a sight you are getting anyway because they are not dated anywhere.  Not on the sight itself and not on the package.  You might be buying five year old sights and not even know it.    

I also feel that the Mepro's rear sight might have a greater chance of accidently being knocked or pushed off.  When installing the first of three sets of Mepro's that I have on some of my Glocks, they slid on so easily I thought I had been sold a used set that had been crushed into a dovetail before.  After doing the second and third sets, it occurred to me that the Mepro's just have a poor interference fit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Considering you asked between factory night sights and Trijicons.  I would get the Trijicons all day long.  With the Trijicons, you are going to get a sharper appearance of the tritium tubes, a good sight picture, especially compared to Glock or Meprologht night sights, and the front sight is going to be screwed in, instead of staked on like the Glock sights are.

In my opinion, Mepro's are the ones that are overrated.  They simply got a good name because they are almost comparable to Trijicons, and lately the Ameriglo's, for people that are willing to accept  just  a little bit less to save some money.  But, the fact of the matter is, if you do some shopping, you can get Trijicons for the same price as Mepro's.  They may be a year or or two old, but with Mepro's you never know how old of a sight you are getting anyway because they are not dated anywhere.  Not on the sight itself and not on the package.  You might be buying five year old sights and not even know it.    

I also feel that the Mepro's rear sight might have a greater chance of accidently being knocked or pushed off.  When installing the first of three sets of Mepro's that I have on some of my Glocks, they slid on so easily I thought I had been sold a used set that had been crushed into a dovetail before.  After doing the second and third sets, it occurred to me that the Mepro's just have a poor interference fit.

Another nice thing about the Trijicons is when they become dim in the first 12 years they will replace them at only the cost of you shipping the slide to them, right now turn around is 10 days. What they do is they have some sort of device that measures the output of the lamps and that measurement is compaired to what it should be for lamps of a certain age. If there not up to snuff you get a new set for about $10 if they are dim in your opinion but still up to Trijicons standards they will replace the set of 3 for IIRC $56 shipped back to you, This only applies to green and I think orange sights, if you have yellow the warrenty is only 6 years IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:02:33 AM EDT
[#20]
mepros
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:22:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I've never seen the Glock factory tritiums before. Who makes them?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I've never seen the Glock factory tritiums before. Who makes them?

Glock does.  From my understanding they are Glock sights with Meprolight tritium viles.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#23]
The factory golck (front) night sight is swaged in and not screwed.   I've gone through two of them on my glock 27. (Back up gun)    Broken vials and horrible loose fit.   Meps or trigicon are both good proven choices.

I've run both and my preference is for the Meps.   More blocky and coarse.  Big ol dot.  Again it's all personal preference.   You won't go wrong with either choice.

You are asking the people to give you an opinion like what's the best bird dog?   Pointer's or Shorthairs?   Heck they both find birds.    
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#24]
If you get a screw-on frontsight, be sure to use Loctite on the screw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top