Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2003 8:45:09 AM EDT
As a new G17C owner, I have to ask what the difference is between the "drop free" and "non drop free" magazines.  Mine came with two 10rd mags that drop freely from the gun when I press the mag release button.  Therefore, I can only suppose that the "non drop free" mags do not do this when the mag release button is pressed.  Is this what is meant by "drop free" and "non drop free" magazines?  If so, why did anyone make "non drop free" magazines?  Can they be modified to make them drop freely?  Is there a benefit to NDF mags?  Are they difficult to get out?

Sorry if I am way off, and thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#1]
The "Original" Glock 17, bought back '85-86 came with NDF mags. These put simply did not have the metal lining that the "drop free" mags of today have, so mag sides swelled, due to rounds loaded in it and became NDF.

FWIW, most of my original NDF G-17  and G-21 mags, would after being emptied from shooting drop clear after round pressure was removed.
Believe this issued came up as more and more PDs began using Glocks and issue of "tactical reloads" came up....., a NDF mags (not empty) would not drop, resulting in manual extraction.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I prefer the Non-Drop Free mags for conceiled carry.  When I carry my Glock 22 I only carry one mag.  (Hey if 15 rnds of 40 S&W won't get the job done you probably need to start running.)  OK the ND free mag won't accidently get ejected from the gun as easy.  If you're carrying inside the waist band as you move about there's a chance of having accidental mag ejection with the drop free mags.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#4]
To be honest I think drop free mags have the most benifit to a competition shooter. I shoot USPSA/IPSC matches and need drop free mags.

In a real life defensive shooting you'll most likely shoot to slide lock (empty the mag) before you do a mag change. The reason being you got other things to think about besides counting your rounds.

In a pistol match when you examine a stage you do count your rounds and plan you mag changes. I figure out where I can mag a mag change without losing time on the stage. Usually it is running between 2 different arrays of targets. Often I drop the mag with several rounds still in it. If it were a non drop free mag I would have to pull the mag out with my weak hand. Thus losing a split second on that stage. I need that mag to drop free the second I hit that mag release even if I only fired one round out of that mag.

Not all FML mags actually drop free and you may have to tune them until they do.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#5]
One other point concerns those of us who are left handed.  The mag release buton is right near my index finger.  

I shoot only drop free mags in competition, but only carry non drop free mags "in real life".

Don
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top