Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2009 5:51:43 PM EDT
I've been cursed with cross dominance –– I'm right handed, but left eye dominant.  Currently I shoot a pistol right handed and a rifle left handed, which makes little tactical sense.

I'm getting ready to bite the bullet and start shooting a pistol left handed.  

Anyone have suggestions on how to make a Glock more lefty friendly?  How do you manipulate mag changes?

Does anyone know if some of the aftermarket ambi-mag releases are any good? (http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=CS328)

I've got a 17, 21(NOT SF) and a 30.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I am ambidextrous myself and I never have problems shooting any of my Glocks left handed.  You just have to come up with the best technic that works for you.  I myself have never go into an ambi mag release but you should try shooting left handed and see if you can adapt to the pistol.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#2]
i'm a lefty and i don't have any problems with my duty (G22) or off duty (G23)pistols. just practice.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#3]
It needs nothing.

I'm totally "ambi" with my pistols, and have no problems using Glocks with the left hand, in anyway.  As others have said, it just takes practice.

I would not trust an aftermarket gimmick ambi Mag Release.  Just use the Index or Middle finger to hit the release.

Slide release can also be hit with the Index finger, or you can rack that slide when you reload, overhand style.  Works just fine.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:17:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I release the mag with my left index finger and slingshot the slide forward.  Works great.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a lefty and use my left index finger to activate the mag release(even when using other pistols like the S&W M&P with an ambi mag release). One of the advantages of this method is that you don't have to shift your palm and grip on the gun to otherwise release an ambi-mag release with your thumb.  With enough practice it will become part of your muscle memory and be quick and natural.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#6]
You do realize that you actually have an advantage on mag changes, right correct? You will be able to use your index finger to activate the release, and you won't have to shift your grip. Practice enough, and you will not have any problems by shooting the Glock lefty.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I release the mag with my left index finger and slingshot the slide forward.  Works great.

When you do this fast enough, you get to thinking that glocks were designed for lefties.  Another southpaw here.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you do this fast enough, you get to thinking that glocks were designed for lefties.  Another southpaw here.

I'll agree with that 100 %. Save your money and buy more ammo or mags, leave the aftermarket stuff off of it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#9]
i shoot both of my glocks left handed stock out of the box other than the extended slide release, it's alot easier to grab with yoru index finger than the factory release, you dont need a ambi mag release, again, use your index finger
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Chiming in, I shoot pistol RH and rifle LH, but I've never had any issue shooting my Glock LH,
which I do from time to time to mix it up a bit and make sure there are body
memories in case something happens to my RH.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree with most lefties...I am left handed, right eye dominant...rifle right handed, handgun left handed....Glock does seem very left hand freindly....my 1911 w/ ambi-safety not nearly so....
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I agree with most lefties...I am left handed, right eye dominant...rifle right handed, handgun left handed....Glock does seem very left hand freindly....my 1911 w/ ambi-safety not nearly so....

I am exactly the same as you, left hand pistol, right hand rifle and right eye dominant and have no problem shooting Glocks, I actually prefer using my index finger to release mags.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, this. I've been magreleasing with the index my whole shooting life, works great, probably better than a thumb, becasue the index can ALWAYS reach it.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This man speaks the truth.  Lefty here too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top