Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2009 7:29:37 PM EDT
Unconfirmed, but it seems worthy of posting...

"GT Distributers reported that they found out earlier today at the National Association of Police Equipment Distributers (NAPED) conference that Glock announced they will bring out the adjustable grip models later this year, or early next year."

link

If anyone has a contact to verify the validity of this, plenty of guys are gonna want to know.  I have been hearing this complaint for a long time.  It seems unlikely to me.  Doesn't make any sense that Glock would announce adjustable grips when they just introduced the SF "Short Frame" or "Still Fat" :) models.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope it's real, sure is overdue.  I for one want to see the new RTF pattern with adjustable backstraps.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]
i hope it is new.  time to change, even if your behind the pack
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Can I trade my G19 in for the new one?

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Grip angle seems to be one of the most common complaints from the haters.  This ought to shut some of them up.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Pretty cool, especially for my tiny hands. If I am correct glock doesn't charge much to upgrade your glock to a newer generation, so I wonder what they would charge for this new frame?
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll never by one, if they are in fact coming out with one.  I'll sit back and wait to see an official report though.

If they do offer this, it'll probably be an option, like the RTF frames or the SF frames.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I would jump on one in a heartbeat. I would love to shoot a Glock 17 in USPSA Production, but I can't because I only shoot Glocks modified for a 1911 grip angle. Gaston needs to wake up and smell the coffee on this one.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#8]
If I want an adjustable grip Glock I would buy an M&P. At least S&W made the trigger guard big enough that the tip of my finger does not drag on the bottom of it.

I have had way too much to drink tonight so move on, nothing to see here.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:01:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I would like to try one out since I have small hands.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:39:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Could be interesting. Waiting to see...
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:37:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll believe it when I see it but this is a change that is LONG over due IMO.

I would love to see it but am not looking forward to replacing all of my Glock (which I will do if this is true and they do it right). I would love to see these come with the RTF2 texture and original style slide serrations! Ideally I would love to see Glock offer these as frame upgrade but I know that's not likely
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:00:11 AM EDT
[#12]
If Glock is to redesign / dick with their frames, I think their efforts would be better spent rectifying the situation with the .40 cal Glocks and and weapon mounted lights as I see this as a much bigger issue than not having a "comfy" grip.

Even though I wouldn't mind the backstrap being reduced on my full size Glocks, I see the change as another modification / potential point of failure to an already proven design. I believe the Glock should be comforting, not comfortable.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Loooooong overdue, if true.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 6:13:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I am happy with all my Glocks as they are... If I needed an adjustable grip I would have bought an M&P or XDm but i bought the Glock because I like the way it felt as it is.  But I am open to try it and not shoot it down before it comes out.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If Glock is to redesign / dick with their frames, I think their efforts would be better spent rectifying the situation with the .40 cal Glocks and and weapon mounted lights as I see this as a much bigger issue than not having a "comfy" grip.

All depends on your priorities I guess. I personally couldn't give 2 shits about the .40 cal Glocks so I could care less if they have problems or not. Being able to configure the grip to fit MY hand however is something that does affect ME so you will understand why I am more open to this idea then some others
Quoted:
Even though I wouldn't mind the backstrap being reduced on my full size Glocks, I see the change as another modification / potential point of failure to an already proven design. I believe the Glock should be comforting, not comfortable.

It amazes me how narrow minded some people are about this? There are a ton of polymer framed guns already out there that have replaceable grips straps and I have yet to here of even one story from anybody that has had an issue with it on any of the different variants out there. If S&W, Sig and HK can figure out how to incorporate that feature into their design without effecting function or reliability then I'm sure Glock can to. You guys really need to give Glock more credit. While they haven't been very innovative or creative for a while now, they have shown that can do some pretty cool shit when they put their minds to it
Quoted:
I am happy with all my Glocks as they are... If I needed an adjustable grip I would have bought an M&P or XDm

Yea because the only difference between the Glock and the M&P is the grip right?
Quoted:
...i bought the Glock because I like the way it felt as it is.

You bought a gun based solely on how it felt in your hand?

Look the thing is, replaceable grip inserts doesn't mean that the standard Glock grip has to change. It just means that for those of us who don't find the factory grip "perfect", we will be able to do something about it rather then permanently modifying with "grip mods". I wish people would start seeing this as a win-win that it is. There should be no downside here people.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#16]
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Errm - it IS broke. The Glock grip sucks for a lot of people, which automatically shuts off access to that segment of the population for Glock. It amazes me it took them this long to address this issue.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Errm - it IS broke. The Glock grip sucks for a lot of people, which automatically shuts off access to that segment of the population for Glock. It amazes me it took them this long to address this issue.

+1

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+1000.  It IS broke, even if fanboys don't want to admit it.  The shortcomings of the Glock grip are something that you CAN train through, but shouldn't have to.  There are some people who the glock grip seem to be tailor made for... but they seem to be the minority.  

I love the Glock- its a great design mechanically.  Adding an additional non moving plastic part to the grip will NOT adversely effect its reliability.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#21]
This is the shape I want from Glock - fits my hand like a glove:

I had to pull out my Dremel and a tub of Bondo to get mine this way - I would rather it came from the factory like this, and would buy a new Glock tomorrow if it would come this way.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet, oddly enough they continue to sell thousand of units.  So much demand, they're backordered.  

The debate is academic, really, until we actually see this "new frame" announced.

And really, if it appeals to more people, great.  Some of us are traditionalists regarding interchangeable backstraps.  Not "kool-aid drinkers", mind you, just like them the way they are.

I myself would not want one, but I certainly wouldn' begrudge someone who did.  To each his own.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet, oddly enough they continue to sell thousand of units.  So much demand, they're backordered.  

The debate is academic, really, until we actually see this "new frame" announced.

And really, if it appeals to more people, great.  Some of us are traditionalists regarding interchangeable backstraps. Not "kool-aid drinkers", mind you, just like them the way they are.

I myself would not want one, but I certainly wouldn' begrudge someone who did.  To each his own.

If Glock is doing as well as you say then they shouldn't "need" to keep up with the times and offer an adjustable backstrap.  However, I feel Glock deciding to update their weapon is in direct response to the recent loss of sales they're facing due to many large agencies  moving to the M&P (N.M. State Police for example).  Granted, some of these other makers offer sweet deals to agencies, but were I to choose an issued handgun for my agency, it would be one that offered the ability to conform the weapon to fit the user's hand and right now, Glock doesn't offer that.  Glock rode the "Perfection" and popularity ride for a long time but due to makers such as Springfield, S&W, HK, SigSauer, FN, Ruger, etc offering user conformed handguns that don't require melting or smithing to make a fit, I think Glock is starting to feel the pinch in the pocketbook, thus, the update.

BTW, in regards to being a "traditionalist" when it comes to backstrap changes, have you seen the 1911?  
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, I've seen a 1911.  Carried one for years.  Worked on them.  I know it has the "original" interchangeable backstrap.  It's also an integral part of the weapon, held firmly in place...............not some plastic piece that's easy to remove.  Big deal.  Old argument.

Glock is obviously just trying to offer more to it's customers.  Good on 'em for doing that.

I'm thinking they sat back and waited to see if the whole interchangeable backstrap thing would be a passing fad, or would catch on with other manufacturers and increased sales.  They've got their answer now, so it looks like they might just start putting them out.

It will at least be interesting, from a technical standpoint, to see what the new frames look like.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yeah, I've seen a 1911.  Carried one for years.  Worked on them.  I know it has the "original" interchangeable backstrap.  It's also an integral part of the weapon, held firmly in place...............not some plastic piece that's easy to remove.  Big deal.  Old argument.

Glock is obviously just trying to offer more to it's customers.  Good on 'em for doing that.

I'm thinking they sat back and waited to see if the whole interchangeable backstrap thing would be a passing fad, or would catch on with other manufacturers and increased sales.  They've got their answer now, so it looks like they might just start putting them out.

It will at least be interesting, from a technical standpoint, to see what the new frames look like.

What sells a glock isn't its ergonomics.  I love mine, but it's not the most comfortable in my hand - i'll admit to that.  What makes people buy glock is their reputation for reliability, price & size.  Anything else they do is simply "optional" imo.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
... What makes people buy glock is their reputation for reliability, price & size...

+1 (and don't forget to add durability, weight, ergonomics, simplicity, etc.)

What's funny is that Glock is quite possibly the top selling brand of semi-auto pistols of the last 20 years and some people here act as though there is no chance this idea (adjustable grip) will have success just b/c they're a couple of years behind some other brands.  Now that Glock is addressing the biggest issue that most people had about their pistols, they will once again widen their lead against the competition with the introduction of this new feature.  My guess that Glock is going to do it even better than their competition since they've had the chance to see what works and what doesn't.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:42:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Hopfully they also heard our cries for a Glock version of the Kahr PM9 and P380.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's still no Walther P99, but so long as it does away with the awkward finger grooves it's a step in the right direction.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#29]
The other nice thing about this kind of grip is that 3rd parties like Lone Wolf can very easily make their own drop in part if the grips from the factory are lacking.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#30]
if you dont like the grip angle then buy a friggin M&P or XD.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
if you dont like the grip angle then buy a friggin M&P or XD.

Because the only difference between Glock and the other poly pistols is the grip shape ?

I bought a Glock over the others because of parts availability, top tier customer service, the benchmark of quality and reliability, and the size(there isn't a M&P or XD equivalent to the Glock 19).  Even with all of these positives I STILL made the choice reluctantly because of the ergonomics of the pistol.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's still no Walther P99, but so long as it does away with the awkward finger grooves it's a step in the right direction.

SUCH HERESY!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top