Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2009 5:11:37 PM EDT
I am new to Glock handguns. Does the gun have a conventional safety? If not, how does the safety work?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure what you mean by a conventional safety.

What kind of safety does a revolver have? If you don't want it to go off, you don't pull the trigger. If you do, you pull the trigger. Same with a Glock (assuming there's a round in the chamber).

There are three kinds of safeties built into the Glock to prevent firing not caused by an intentional pull of the trigger.

1) The trigger safety. Prevents the trigger from moving rearward unless pressure is applied to the front center of the trigger.

2) Firing Pin safety. Prevents the firing pin from striking the primer unless the trigger has been pulled. This would prevent a discharge if a mechanical failure caused the firing pin to release from the trigger bar.

3) Drop safety. Helps keep the FP from jarring loose from the trigger bar due to the dropping of the pistol.

If you are asking if there is an external, shooter activated switch to make the pistol "safe," the answer is no. Just like a revolver.

Learn the basic safety rules that apply to shooting *any* firearm; learn the ins and outs of your Glock by reading the manual; get plenty of practice or training as needed. If you are like most owners, you will *love* your Glock.

K
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm not sure what you mean by a conventional safety.

What kind of safety does a revolver have? If you don't want it to go off, you don't pull the trigger. If you do, you pull the trigger. Same with a Glock (assuming there's a round in the chamber).

There are three kinds of safeties built into the Glock to prevent firing not caused by an intentional pull of the trigger.

1) The trigger safety. Prevents the trigger from moving rearward unless pressure is applied to the front center of the trigger.

2) Firing Pin safety. Prevents the firing pin from striking the primer unless the trigger has been pulled. This would prevent a discharge if a mechanical failure caused the firing pin to release from the trigger bar.

3) Drop safety. Helps keep the FP from jarring loose from the trigger bar due to the dropping of the pistol.

If you are asking if there is an external, shooter activated switch to make the pistol "safe," the answer is no. Just like a revolver.

Learn the basic safety rules that apply to shooting *any* firearm; learn the ins and outs of your Glock by reading the manual; get plenty of practice or training as needed. If you are like most owners, you will *love* your Glock.

K

That there is correct.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info. I am looking at a model 19.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Very well put kentak.  Save me some typin'!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Glock function anumation

I still think this is the best all around educator of how the glock functions.  It will usually answer any questions.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#6]
mechanically speaking, all glock safeties are passive and disengaged when THE TRIGGER IS PROPPERLY PRESSED; there is no "conventional safety", or external/manually operated safety leavers

h/w, the PRIMARY safety ON ALL FIREARMS, esp and even on glocks, is the user's brain and trigger finger––know your gun handling rules
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top