Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2015 10:39:11 AM EDT
I have not seen many but in my G19 Gen4 I have seen 1 failure to go into battery, and two failure of the slide to lock open on an empty mag. This is my first glock and its had about 300 rounds through it so far.

Anyone else seen anything like this?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Speaking to the slide lock not locking back on empty.  Be sure your thumbs are not interfering with the slide stop I do this myself on occasion.

On the failure to go into battery was this when you were loading the pistol and possibly rode the slide forward instead of letting the spring take it forward?  Or was this during cycling of the pistol?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I have not seen those particular failures on that particular gun. I have seen failure to eject on a g4 26.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Speaking to the slide lock not locking back on empty.  Be sure your thumbs are not interfering with the slide stop I do this myself on occasion.

On the failure to go into battery was this when you were loading the pistol and possibly rode the slide forward instead of letting the spring take it forward?  Or was this during cycling of the pistol?
View Quote

Cycling. It didnt happen to me, it happened to a friend of mine while he shot it. And from the best I could tell was a failure to go into battery. He ejected the round and it didnt have any more problems.

I could have possibly interfered with it, but i noticed something weird where i slapped a mag in and it dropped. Which was weird as well, but it hasnt happened since.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Cycling. It didnt happen to me, it happened to a friend of mine while he shot it. And from the best I could tell was a failure to go into battery. He ejected the round and it didnt have any more problems.

I could have possibly interfered with it, but i noticed something weird where i slapped a mag in and it dropped. Which was weird as well, but it hasnt happened since.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most malfunctions with my Glocks happen when other people are shooting them, too. The shooter's hands being a little grabby could cause both of those issues, in theory. Pay close attention to your hold and see if it repeats.

The slide dropping on an authoritative mag-seating slap happens. Not regularly enough to plan for but pretty commonly.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What cartridges were you shooting?  Unreliable reloads, Combloc, or Blazer Aluminum?  Did you have an FTFe caused by a limp wrist, or was it an actual FTRTB?  (FTRTB's are often difficult to detect because the distance involved can be very slight; and, from reading what you've said, I don't get that impression.)  One out of three hundred rounds is nothing to go by.  Your friend could have limp-wristed that Glock, too, and forced the slide to short stroke.  Personally, I doubt you've got a problem.  I think you've just got to get used to shooting a new plastic pistol.  

NOTE:  Oh, yeah, I don't think we're talking about the slide lock; we're talking about the slide stop, instead.  (What the GSSF shooters are now referring to as a, 'slide release'.)
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:19:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Only time my G19 Gen4 has "malfunctioned" was when my little sister shot it. I believe is was due to limp wristing. I could tell she didn't have a nice firm grip.  Maybe a round did not seat properly in the mag causing an awkward feed? Or the casing of the bullet could have been slightly warped. For the mag release issue, I believe Raven would be correct about watching where your support hand's thumb is placed. It is the little things that may cause an "issue"
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:51:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had one failure to feed with blazer aluminum ammo in a Gen4 19.  I've also had a couple failure to feeds in a Gen3 23 (can't remember the ammo).  I'm not too worried about it.  I just make sure to practice my failure drills.

If it happened every few magazines, then I'd be worried.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:56:42 AM EDT
[#8]
While I was regularly shooting my M31 I only had one failure.  A stove pipe jam when the ejecting case got stuck in the ejection port and hung the slide up.

Just once, never did it again.  By then it had several hundred rounds through it so it was well broken in.  Maybe not quite enough powder in it, or maybe just one of those odd/random things that happens sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Glocks are generally pretty good but here are a couple of thoughts .

New guns are pretty tight and I neither get too worried at minor hang ups or trust them 100% until I get some rounds through them .

What ammo? If you were using some discount stuff or reloads don't get too worried .

Whenever something funky happens with a semi auto mark the magazine so you can track future possible issues
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What cartridges were you shooting?  Unreliable reloads, Combloc, or Blazer Aluminum?  Did you have an FTFe caused by a limp wrist, or was it an actual FTRTB?  (FTRTB's are often difficult to detect because the distance involved can be very slight; and, from reading what you've said, I don't get that impression.)  One out of three hundred rounds is nothing to go by.  Your friend could have limp-wristed that Glock, too, and forced the slide to short stroke.  Personally, I doubt you've got a problem.  I think you've just got to get used to shooting a new plastic pistol.  

NOTE:  Oh, yeah, I don't think we're talking about the slide lock; we're talking about the slide stop, instead.  (What the GSSF shooters are now referring to as a, 'slide release'.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is probably the culprit.  Just be conscious where your thumbs are around the slide stop.  The slide falling after inserting a mag with some authority is not an issue my G21 will do it every time I insert a mag with any authority.   The BIL his Beretta 92 does it no matter what .... in my experience some pistols will do this, some will after they are well worn in, and some may never do it (1 of my 1911's will do it but the other 3 will not).
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#11]
My G23 malfunctions for my grandfather.  Limp wrist problems.

The failure to go into battery could have been an ammo issue just as easily as a problem with the gun or limp wristing.  The failure to lock open was probably the shooter riding the slide stop with the support thumb (assuming we're talking about someone right handed).
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#12]
The ammo was Winchester white box. Nothing too cheap.

The slide didnt lock back on a full mag for me. I did notice something weird on one of my mags, when it was loaded i could hear something rattling around. I emptied it out and reloaded it and it was fine.

I'll just keep shooting it and see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The ammo was Winchester white box. Nothing too cheap.

The slide didnt lock back on a full mag for me. I did notice something weird on one of my mags, when it was loaded i could hear something rattling around. I emptied it out and reloaded it and it was fine.

View Quote

WWB can have a bullet seated weird or an out of spec piece of brass just like anyone else.

Rounds rattling in the mags is normal.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:The ammo was Winchester white box. Nothing too cheap.

View Quote

The  rattling you hear is the floorplate insert.  It is common and nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Take the mag and slap the flat backside against your palm or leg to seat all the rounds to the rear and the rattle will go away.  My Sig mags do this like crazy until I slap them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:10:08 AM EDT
[#16]
i had all kinds of problems with my gen 4 glock 26. I would get failures to eject at least once out of every mag. I was using PMC bronze which has been flawless through my other 9mm's as well as perfecta which was incredibly underpowered so I will blame that on the ammo. the finish felt un even and rough. I was soo pissed that my new $600 plastic "perfection" pistol was having these issues I pulled the slide off the frame and packed it full of fine sand/gravel. Put the pistol back together and preceded to fire 100 rounds of federal 115gr fmj without any issues I detail stripped it that night and cleaned out everything. The next time I went to the range I fired 300 rounds of various 115gr fmj and had zero issues with the pistol. now I am close to 600 rounds trouble free and carry it every day.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:01:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Winchester White box is loaded alittle on the "Light" side. I have had failure to feed the last round on acouple of my 1911's.
Glocks love hot ammo. Europen 9mm ammo is usually loaded to almost +P speed.
Try something along the lines of Magtech or Federal ball ammo. Then go 9mm+P for carry use.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is probably the culprit.  Just be conscious where your thumbs are around the slide stop.  The slide falling after inserting a mag with some authority is not an issue my G21 will do it every time I insert a mag with any authority.   The BIL his Beretta 92 does it no matter what .... in my experience some pistols will do this, some will after they are well worn in, and some may never do it (1 of my 1911's will do it but the other 3 will not).
View Quote

I actually practice to cause my Glock slides to snap shut whenever I insert a magazine.  I've now got it down to a science!  True, it's NOT an intended design criterion of the Glock; but it's also a real time and movement saver when you need to be quick.  I believe in this, 'Glock anomaly'; and use it whenever I can.  I've tried shaving the top edge off a Glock slide stop.  It's a real, 'balancing act'.  Take a little too much, and the stop is ruined.  Take too little, and you'll change almost nothing at all.  

What works better is to learn how to forcefully bring BOTH of your hands together while the Glock's muzzle is held upwards at a 45° angle.  Here's exactly how to do it:  First tilt the muzzle up at about a 45° angle. Then BRING BOTH OF YOUR HANDS TOGETHER in a quick slapping action. Finally remember to TILT THE MUZZLE SLIGHTLY DOWNWARD at the exact moment the magazine seats in the pistol.  Do this and a Glock's slide should suddenly let go most, if not all, of the time.  THIS technique works, for me, better than 90% of the time; and I frequently use it!  

(Don't do this at home.  It's strictly a firing range technique; and the muzzle should always be pointed downrange and/or towards the target, as well.  OK!)  
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Over the years and thousands of rounds I've had two malfs. Both were within minutes of each other and since it was during a steel plate match I cleared as fast as possible both times and couldn't investigate the reason. There was one other time, but blaming a 9mm for not chambering a .40 isn't really fair.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#20]
19.4 has only had issues are (since its new and cerakoted) it won't pass the RSA test if I ride the slide slowly unless it has a TON of lube on it; also, when I had a HUGE "sure-touch" mag-release (that now sits in a box), and once when a friend gave me ammo that had been soaked and sat out for a year--it was Win Ranger.  About 3/4ths worked, the other 1/4 wouldn't ignite primers even with 5-6 hits in 2 guns.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:30:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Clean, lube, shoot, repeat.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks guys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top