Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2010 5:29:36 PM EDT
Hi guys, I'm hoping to get my pistol permit here in New York in a few months (just waiting for paper work to go through) but I want my first pistol to be a Glock.  My dad has a Colt Trooper (.357) and I love that gun! He also has a Ruger Mark 3 (.22lr) its great fun! His buddy has the first Glock that i ever shot, its a 17. I love the way it felt so I thinking for getting a 17 but I want to become an officer so I was talking to a few people and they told me just to get a Glock 21. So i guess my question is what is the difference in the M-21-C, M-21-SF, and the M-21-SF NS? I have no idea what the letters mean.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Don't put an M in front of the model numbers, they're not Walthers or something.  "Glock 19" for example would be ideal.
2. C means compensated.  Basically, "it's got the holes in the barrel and fire shoots out the top!"
3. SF is Short Frame, it's an option available for the 10mm and 45 guns wherein the backstrap is slightly slimmer.  It's usually preferable for people with non-huge hands.
4. NS is Night Sights, presumably.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

but I want to become an officer so I was talking to a few people and they told me just to get a Glock 21.

Get a 22 or 23.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
but I want to become an officer so I was talking to a few people and they told me just to get a Glock 21.

Get a 22 or 23.

Wouldn't they issue you anything you'd need?

Skip on the expensive calibers to shoot (to start out with ). Get a 19 for your first gun.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a 22 or 23.

Wouldn't they issue you anything you'd need?

Many departments require you to provide your own weapon. He did mention becoming an LEO and almost every LE entity in the country approves the 22 and 23.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are serious about becoming a police officer, I would look at getting either a 22 or 23, and also buying a 9mm bbl for it. Most agencies have gone with the 40S&W models. This way you have a gun that shoots 40, but also have the ability to swap bbls and save a little money on ammo.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If you are serious about becoming a police officer, I would look at getting either a 22 or 23, and also buying a 9mm conversion bbl and G17 or 19 mags for it. Most agencies have gone with the 40S&W models. This way you have a gun that shoots 40, but also have the ability to swap bbls and save a little money on ammo.

Fixed it for ya.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:37:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you are serious about becoming a police officer, I would look at getting either a 22 or 23, and also buying a 9mm bbl for it. Most agencies have gone with the 40S&W models. This way you have a gun that shoots 40, but also have the ability to swap bbls and save a little money on ammo.

This. I carry the Glock 22 even as a concealed and I'm a small guy. Galco Leather makes GREAT CCW holsters. Get the Gen4 though unless you have big hands. They shoot so smooth compared to anything else I've shot off.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
1. Don't put an M in front of the model numbers, they're not Walthers or something.  "Glock 19" for example would be ideal.
2. C means compensated.  Basically, "it's got the holes in the barrel and fire shoots out the top!"
3. SF is Short Frame, it's an option available for the 10mm and 45 guns wherein the backstrap is slightly slimmer.  It's usually preferable for people with non-huge hands.

Doesn't SF also have the picatinny rail?

SF vs regular.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

SF vs regular.
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/5553/glock2117compix8.jpg

Some do, some don't.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

SF vs regular.

i believe SF models with the picatinny rail and ambi mag release were discontinued... the 21SF is a real winner in my book!

eta: as mentioned above the SF stands for "short frame." basically, material was removed from the backstrap to reduce the trigger reach by a little less than 3mm... i know, it doesn't sound like much, but you almost have to handle/compare a 21 and 21SF side-by-side to notice the difference, but even with my very large hands i find the SF model to be more comfortable for me - so everyone can benefit from the SF variant, not just people with smaller hands.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#11]
glock 22 with a 9mm conversion barrel is a good option. Remember as a civilian in NY you are limited to 10 round or "pre-ban" glock magazines which are easiest to find in 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the input guys! I was talking to my dad and I'm still leaning heavily on the 21.  I just think its a better choice so I can get use to the recoil and not be afraid of it when they hand me a 45 at the academy.  Most, if not all police officers and troopers in New York are carrying a 45 cal, the Troopers are using the 45 GAP, but that round is just stupid to in my opinion its just an 1/8" shorter than a 45acp and a quarter more of the money.  I understand that they are more expensive to shoot but I think the $$ difference would be well worth its price in experience for a 45 acp.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#13]
You might as well.  The 21SF is a fine weapon.  BTW the recoil of 45 ACP is pleasant but the 45 GAP is sharp (to me).
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you think its because of the shorter action on the GAP that causes that? I think that is why the Troopers here went to the GAP verses the ACP, because theoretically the GAP should cycle quicker because of the shorter OAL.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#15]
troopers went for the gap because the overall size of the gun was the same as the glock 17 they had been carrying. I know of many more agencies using the 40 cal. the only difference you'll see is the fatter grip in the 21 which makes it tough for small hands- which is exactly why the troopers went to the gap.
some small agenices do issue/authorize the glock 21 BUT you are  MUCH more likely to work for an agency that issues the 40 cal.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#16]
The snappier recoil of the 45GAP vs 45ACP rounds is due to the fact that the 45GAP is a higher pressure round.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I was told once that the conversion barrels from 40 to 9mm were only made by inferior "not top tier" companies and seriously degrade performance and accuracy... particularly if coupled with a suppressor...?

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

SF vs regular.

Not necessarily

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Thanks for the input guys! I was talking to my dad and I'm still leaning heavily on the 21.  I just think its a better choice so I can get use to the recoil and not be afraid of it when they hand me a 45 at the academy.  Most, if not all police officers and troopers in New York are carrying a 45 cal, the Troopers are using the 45 GAP, but that round is just stupid to in my opinion its just an 1/8" shorter than a 45acp and a quarter more of the money.  I understand that they are more expensive to shoot but I think the $$ difference would be well worth its price in experience for a 45 acp.

Well CDNN has G21 10 round mags for $17 right now.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/gl214510magn.html

If you want to stock up on mags first.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#20]
And, remember, occasionaly you need to clean it by swishing it around in a mud puddle.

Have several, and love the 22C, my favorite.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Well CDNN has G21 10 round mags for $17 right now.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/gl214510magn.html

If you want to stock up on mags first.

That's it $17? That's not as bad as I was thinking they would be.  For the price of the gun i was thinking $25ish. I'm grateful that there cheaper.  Is that their normal price or a sale that is happening right now?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Does a Glock 21 mag fit in a Glock 30?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Does a Glock 21 mag fit in a Glock 30?

yes but not a 36 because they are single stack. (To my knowledge)

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank you for the input DKing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top