Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 1:37:16 AM EST
Recently I got a Charger as my new duty car. In the car they have a built in Console, which to begin with is a real pain in the ass....now my problem is that this morning when I got home and took my gun from the holster I noticed there were scratches and wearing on my Glocks grip. What's happening is this new crappy center console is scraping against my gun every time I shift, and it's wearing down the grip, and this noticeable damage happened in the matter of a week or so. I plan to put something to try and smooth the console edges but my question is this. Is there anything along the lines of a grip guard or anything like that to put over the original grip to help in protecting it?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:56:15 AM EST
The only thing I can think of is one of those rubber slip on grips from Houge.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:44:48 AM EST
Go to the fabric section at Wal-Mart and get a square foot of felt or other soft fabric. Also get and some two sided tape or glue. Then attach the fabric on the console where your pistol makes contact. That should only cost $2-3 and wont leave any permanent marks on the console. Try that before altering your gun.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:41:03 AM EST
go back to the Crown.......

all kidding aside...I have the same problem in the Durango. I just have a hand towel glued to my center console. it works but it looks like crap. I would try the nicer cloth method mentioned.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:47:10 AM EST
maybe try that skate board like tape that is pre cut to the pistols grip dimensions, I don't remember what it is called but I think you can find it at places like Lone Wolf Dist, Glockmeister etc.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:22:36 AM EST
Originally Posted By langston302:
go back to the Crown.......

all kidding aside...I have the same problem in the Durango. I just have a hand towel glued to my center console. it works but it looks like crap. I would try the nicer cloth method mentioned.

Trust me I think at this point I would if I could. I'm making a trip to Wal-Mart today to see what I can find.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:51:18 AM EST
I would say modify what's causing the problem before modifying the gun itself.

If they'll let you, put a couple of sheets of moleskin on the side of this console, where it might contact your pistol. That would definitely keep it from scratching the pistol.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:39:49 PM EST
Cut a piece of leather and rivet it to the cars console, or melt the cars console with a heat gun and "reform it" or both.

Or sawzall that whole edge off the console and close it up with a sheet of leather or plastic or sheetmetal riveted in place.

Its just a console, its not as hard as it seems to hack it up and rebuild it without it looking too hokey. I do enjoy taking grinders to .gov property.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:01:46 PM EST
Ah, a sheet of leather is a good idea too.

The reason I suggested the moleskin, is because it's self-adhesive. It can be taken off if need be, and the adhesive cleaned off, with no damage to that .gov property.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:45:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 7:45:46 PM EST by Po-Po-5-0]
Think I'll go find some mole skin...but I would still like to find some kind of grip protection, just to be on the safe side. I never want to see my Glock in such pain again!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:47:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 9:49:03 PM EST by McGap]
Try a Qwik Grip slip-on cover. I like Hogue, but these are pretty good too, and don't add much girth to the grip if that's a concern.

A good outfit to deal with can be found here.

Just search "grip" in the search box.

Good luck!

Top Top