Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2004 3:52:41 AM EDT
I like glocks and own 4.  I was looking at the 36 for a new home defense gun.  I have the 30 and 21 and like them a lot and just wanted some thing a little smaller for the home defense gun as my wife doesn't like the rem 870 left out of the safe.  Also I wanted an excuse to own all the 45 glocks before getting all the 9mm glocks.  My question is I read on another board that the 36 had some problems feeding and wasn't as reliable as the others due to its single stack design.  Internet BS or the single stack is a finiky eater?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:13:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Some have problems.  The one I had would jam 2-3 times per mag, it wouldn't stovepipe.  But it wouldn't eject the empty which would get hung up horizontally between the slide and barrel.  Sometimes it would fail to feed with the loaded round at a real bad angle stuck between the slide and barrel about 1/2 chambered. It went back to the factory which replaced everything but the slide, barrel and frame.  When I got it back it would only cycle 165gr and 185gr rounds reliably, anything in 230gr and it would still jam.  I later traded someone locally for a G30 and haven't looked back.  I did tell the guy about what it would jam on and he carried 185gr so it didn't bother him.

Out of 11 Glocks since 1986 thats the only one I've ever had problems with and it was one of the few Glocks that I had purchased new.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd say get it, try it out. If it's reliable use it. If you find it's lacking, hey you have a range/fun pistol and can then say you own all the Glocks in .45 Auto!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:34:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.  My range amo is usually blazer nonbrass.  But some times winchester or some other brand goes on sale and I can get my hands on a bunch.  My defense amo is hydrashocks. Both have worked really well with my 21 and 30 and I didn't wan't to stock special 45 amo for the 36.  I keep my pistol amo simple, only 9mm and 45acp, if the weapon can't keep my kiss philiosphy it becames a safe queen.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:55:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:25:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Iv'e been considering replacing my 27 with the 36 , how does it compare.  love my 27 so i hope it's good, how many rounds will the magazine hold?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:30:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:59:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info.  My range amo is usually blazer nonbrass.  But some times winchester or some other brand goes on sale and I can get my hands on a bunch.  My defense amo is hydrashocks. Both have worked really well with my 21 and 30 and I didn't wan't to stock special 45 amo for the 36.  I keep my pistol amo simple, only 9mm and 45acp, if the weapon can't keep my kiss philiosphy it becames a safe queen.  

There can sometimes be issues with some pistols and Blazer aluminum cased ammo. I have seen maybe 25-35 different pistols of various makes and models over a period of several years that just were not reliable with it, including several...but not all...Sig 220s in .45. It almost never runs right in subguns either. Should you have a problem using this ammo I would try some good brass cased stuff before pointing a finger at the gun.

I have zero experience with the G36 so cannot comment on it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Stick with the G30.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Stick with the G30.
www.hunt101.com/img/168661.jpg

Today at a gunshow I saw and held a G30. It didn't feel at all right in my hand. Different strokes for different folks. Just because you feel the G30 is the be all and end all, doesn't mean the rest of us will. I surely do not like the G30. However it may be the best thing since sliced bread for you. To each their own.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I have put about 1000 rounds through my 36 without a single problem.  Most of the ammo was CCI blazer, some old duty ammo, speer gold dot, 200 gr +P, but the majority (500 rounds) was wolf 230 gr JHP.  The 36 is just slightly larger than a 27, and slightly thiner in the grip.  The only negative I have found is the grip fits a little hard in the palm of my hand, and because the grip is so short , after about 100 to 150 rounds the pinky finger on my gun hand gets a little sore.  The gun does have some muzzle rise to it, and if you dont use a good grip and shooting position one could have problems with either a stove pipe or a FTF.  best advise is consentrate and keep the weapon on target.  I have shot many, many different models of Glocks, and from a combat standpoint; one can not beat the Glock triggers- they are excellant for double taps.
MB
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I am waiting for Glock to release a fullsize singlestack 45!! The 45GAP is good but I want a single stack 45ACP with the Glock trigger & reliability in a fullsize!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#13]
my buddy has a g36 as his carry gun.  I shot a few mags with it.  I was impressed.  Shot very well for me.  I personally carry the g23.  I am a 40 cal guy.  I would say go to the gun store and hold it first.  If you can, fire it also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top