Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2010 4:20:22 PM EDT
I'm looking at the G36. Looking for some feedback, good & bad. I want it as my ccw. Is there any other small gun I should at for it?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#1]
<Edit>
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Deleted - the post I was responding to has been removed.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Go away.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry a 36 with night sights. I carry a 6rnd mag in the gun and the other mags with 1 round ext.
Small and compact. Always goes boom. Good bit of kick tho.

BK:American
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I carry a 36 with night sights. I carry a 6rnd mag in the gun and the other mags with 1 round ext.
Small and compact. Always goes boom. Good bit of kick tho.

BK:American

Pretty much mirrors my sentiments. I don't find that it has any more kick than any of my other .45s. Be aware, mags can be pricey at shops. shop online for better deals.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:29:57 AM EDT
[#6]
First off, welcome to the site!

I very strongly considered a 36 for quite a while, but in the end I decided I would be better suited by a 26.  For me (i believe a 9mm is 'enough'... not looking to start a shit show about caliber selection though), the added capacity of the 26, and being a little smaller had me sold.  

But really though, if you can go shoot one, and you like it, then get one.  Some people have issues with limp-wristing and the mag pinching their pinky, so watch for that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:04:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought one used and carried it for a year or so. It was very concealable do to the thin grip. I loved it and only got rid of it because I wanted a snubby S&W. It was 100% reliable, but I also kept it stock. There were reports a few years ago with them being unreliable, but I think because people were adding extended slide releases and extended magazines.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#8]
great carry weapon for sure.

very stout recoil though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
great carry weapon for sure.

very stout recoil though.

^What he said^

I've been carrying one for a while now.  With a CrossBreed ST I can carry it nearly any time.  If you can't get it done with 7 rounds of 45, you've obviously made some seriously wrong choices that extend far beyond your choice in carry capacity.

As for the previous mention of limp-wristing, I've only found this to be an issue with cheap WWB range ammo.  PD rounds and any +P's all function perfectly.  Even the cheap stuff will run fine if you can hang on like your life depends on it. And hey, one day, it just might !!

And for WIW try the Pearce +0 grip ext.  Adds just enough to get a hold of with very little added real estate.  I've had my pinky pinched a time or two, but that was only with the factory mag floor plate.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I have recently gotten into the glock 36.  I have a low round count 36 from mid 1999.  I got it recently and have put 200 rounds of wwb and 100 of mfs without a single fault.   This gun is super accurate, or maybe not the gun, it just fires great in my hands, as all guns are accurate on their own. Real accuarcy is how you fire the gun.   I have other glocks 19, 26 and wanted a 45 glock.  I was skeptical after some research, and had buyers remorse before it even arrived.  All is well I think you can either shoot this thing right or not, I doubt glock would make a gun that really had as many problems as have been stated. To me if you like the glock 19 the 36 is a close feel with a bit more snap, and the glock 19 is such highly regarded, it just must be that bit more of snap that makes this gun a little finicky, just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#11]
<Edit>
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#12]
WOW, really? like what? If you don't like glocks why would you be looking in this area?  Are you a died in the wool 1911 guy? or what? Glock has changed the industry, move with it, or accept it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#13]
G36 is a great weapon.  I shot it a bit better than i did my G19.  I really liked the slimeline design and it was a great fit  in a kydex holster.  I plan on getting another one in the near future.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#14]
i too am looking into this handgun, for the fact i have smaller hands than most, but i like the 45 round.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#15]
unless you just like the slim, i'd go w/ the G30sf
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I tried most of the ccw's out there, i carry a g36 in a raven phantom and could not be any happier.  Got a nice amount of mags, including one with a +1 extension. Hasnt failed on me yet, despite the rumors. Could be the perfect carry gun with one or two slight mods (to be done very soon on mine!). As it is now, it is the best option out there imo.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
i too am looking into this handgun, for the fact i have smaller hands than most, but i like the 45 round.

thats exactly why i got it.
I like the 3953 grip alot, but the trigger was hard to really master.
the glock is damn similar to the smith size-wise.

Most people warned me not to get it as "the worst of all glocks", but the majority of actual g36 owners said those were just limp-wristers.  I have had ZERO failures in about 500 rounds.

It carries lighter than a 6+1 round 45 should,
recoil is far easier to manage than +p 9mm ammo out of the DAO 3953.

I searched for a while before settling on the g36 and I'm very very happy.

here are some pics.
I have smallish hands so let that be your scale.

size comparisons

in a raven with tuckable c-clips.

you can see here one of the two problems that need to be addressed - the hump:

the smith was redundant and is now gone, i either carry the G36 or the LCP.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:53:10 AM EDT
[#18]
thank you for the pics and review.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top