Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 6:41:47 PM EST
Hi,

Just got our new G34. My son is going to start out in IPSC with it.
First time to shoot it and had a few failures to feed from time to time.
I assumed due to everything being tight.

Had trouble getting last round to load in the 10 rnd mags it came with.
With the slide locked back after the last round fired, when we inserted a loaded mag and seated
it firmly with the palm of our hand the slide would go forward and load the first round.
My old Glock 22 never did this, is it normal?

I am going to get some high cap mags for the 34 as soon as I can find some after the ban or might
get some pre-bans. My first impression is that the 10 round Glock mags suck.
Never has any problems like this with my old Glock 22 and the hi-caps. Is it just me?

Thanks,

EMSflyer
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:02:43 PM EST
lots of glocks do that
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:49:25 PM EST
EMSflyer,

I disagree with the previous post and I would not consider this normal. The most common cause of the slide locking back is when the shooter accidentaly pushes the slide lock lever up with their thumb. This is fairly common with the extended slide stop levers they you will find on the G34. There could also be a problem with the slide lock lever spring. I have seen some faulty ones come from the factory in my department. I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:51:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 4:52:10 PM EST by VA-gunnut]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:15:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/4/2004 11:16:35 AM EST by netwt12]
all of my 7 glocks have allways done this. my usp also does it. it occurs when a mag is slammed into the mag well. i thought it was normal and i like it.

edited for spelling:
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:19:35 AM EST

Originally Posted By K9Reserve:
EMSflyer,

I disagree with the previous post and I would not consider this normal. The most common cause of the slide locking back is when the shooter accidentaly pushes the slide lock lever up with their thumb. This is fairly common with the extended slide stop levers they you will find on the G34. There could also be a problem with the slide lock lever spring. I have seen some faulty ones come from the factory in my department. I hope this helps.

Reading is Fundamental.

He said the slide, when locked back, some of the time goes forward when a fresh magazine is inserted.

He didn't say anything near what you are talking about.

It is somewhat normal, when a magazine is seated with some force.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:00:38 PM EST
Thanks for all the comments.

Flyer...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:12:27 PM EST
Oh, and yes the reduced cap mags are harder to load than the full cap mags.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:21:35 PM EST
When seating the mag it will sometimes jar the slide enough that the catch will fall.

Nothing wrong with it.

The ten round mags do suck especially when there is a full 10 rounds in them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:26:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/4/2004 12:28:36 PM EST by pbrstreetgang]
have this prob with my new g21. no probs with my 10 yr old g19. it seems the follower does not get the slide release all the way into the notch in time for the slide to begin it's return to battery. i believe the solution to lie in extra power magazine springs and/ or break-in of the new slide release lever spring. (actually works against the mag springs.) i will try when i return home. the limited capacity mags are indeed an abomination.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:45:09 PM EST
I've done that with six of my pistols (H&K, Taurus, Beretta, Sig, Glock, and Ruger). Slap the mag in just hard enough while holding the grip firmly and the slide will close and chamber a round.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:37:34 PM EST
Pretty much any and all high capacity and many single stack autos will do this if you slam the mag in hard. the Glock and a couple more have a bit less slide engagement when locked back than some others. Some individual pistols may have more tendency to this than others, but it is not the least unusual.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:55:23 PM EST
Wow, this is a wierd phenomenon. I have had three Glocks and none of them did this thing that you all are describing. Of course, I wasn't "slamming" the mags in as I don't shoot competition, yet, or have any other "tactical" situations I have been in where speedreloading with adrenaline is needed. I am going to try it though!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:35:13 PM EST
Had the same thing happen with a Glock 35 when the barrel was held high but when held level it did not seem to occure. Something about action and reaction. No big deal.
Top Top