Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 1:36:14 PM EDT
My first post... so hello:)

Anybody ever run into this issue?  I purchased a new Glock 27 4 days ago.  I've had it to the range 3 of those 4 days since.  For the first 150 rounds, I used to stock magazine floor plates and experienced 1 jam.  To be precise, it was a failure to feed.  The round wedged face first into the feed ramp and held the slide back.  I was using Winchester 40s 180 grain fmj (the white box).  For the next 100 rounds, I was using one Scherer +1 and one Pearce +1 extension on my mags.  I experienced 8-9 jams.  WAY too many.  

My guess is that the lowered floor plate with the magazine extensions has decreased the spring tension just enough to slow the round from rising into its highest position before being pulled forward.  

I've searched through a few Glock forums but haven't found anybody else experiencing this issue.  I ordered +10% tension springs from Wolff Springs to hopefully correct the issue.  Glock has offered to swap the magazines for me but I'm not sure that would fix the issue.  Opinions?      
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never experianced that with those floorplates. Are you sure you put the spring back on the follower the correct way? If you reversed it (not sure its possible, not looking at a mag now) it could make the follower not move correctly or possible tilt wrong.

Go back to the stock base plate and make sure its running. There is no breakin period, so make sure the gun runs correct before changing the mag plates.

Check Glockmeister for some insight.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have never experianced that with those floorplates. Are you sure you put the spring back on the follower the correct way? If you reversed it (not sure its possible, not looking at a mag now) it could make the follower not move correctly or possible tilt wrong.

Go back to the stock base plate and make sure its running. There is no breakin period, so make sure the gun runs correct before changing the mag plates.

Check Glockmeister for some insight.

I checked out Glockmeister earlier and emailed the addy for advice.  Hopefully I'll hear back soon.  I called Glock and the gentleman I spoke with wasn't at all worried about the 1st jam with the stock floor plates.  He said it has been known to happen with a new gun (not sure if true or not, but that's what he said).  

The springs were installed correctly so I'm not really sure what was going on.  I've since put the stock floor plates back on but haven't been to the range.  Maybe I'll try it out tomorrow.  Anybody else?  Or any other insights?  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are running the +1 or +2 extensions you should have swapped out the springs as well. They might have even come with new springs...I see the kits that glockmeister sells have new springs with them.

I would go back to the OEM base plates until you can eliminate the mags as the cause. I would also get 500-1000 through it before you start carrying it. My G19 required no break in and has been 100% for well over 4500 rounds now but my G17 did have two FTEs early on. Once I put a case through it she settled down and has been perfect for over 3000 rounds now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#4]
ditch the scherer mag and the extensioins shoot OEM mags and you shouldnt have any more problems.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you are running the +1 or +2 extensions you should have swapped out the springs as well. They might have even come with new springs...I see the kits that glockmeister sells have new springs with them.

Unfortunately I didn't get a kit as I probably should have.  I got just the extension.  However, I've got springs on the way.  That should help it sounds like.  Until then, I'll be shooting original equipment.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#6]
With the stock mag, I'll guess excessive muzzle flip, meaning your limp wristing.  Pearce Grip extensions shoud not need the new spring.  Again, I'll go with limpwristing as long as the follower is moving on the right axis meaning you didn't bend the spring. I had a Glock 27 with pearce extensions and it ran as perfect as my glock 22.  But I shoot with a locked wrist.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
With the stock mag, I'll guess excessive muzzle flip, meaning your limp wristing.  Pearce Grip extensions shoud not need the new spring.  Again, I'll go with limpwristing as long as the follower is moving on the right axis meaning you didn't bend the spring. I had a Glock 27 with pearce extensions and it ran as perfect as my glock 22.  But I shoot with a locked wrist.  

He said the round wedged into the feedramp and that sounds like an under sprung mag not limp wristing. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't limp wristing induce failures to eject and stove piping?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He said the round wedged into the feedramp and that sounds like an under sprung mag not limp wristing. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't limp wristing induce failures to eject and stove piping?

Usually yes.  But if you have a REALLY limp wrist with a small gun sometimes, it'll throw the nose up.  Rare but it happens.  Thinking about it has made me lean towards the mag though.  Still something aint right.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Usually yes.  But if you have a REALLY limp wrist with a small gun sometimes, it'll throw the nose up.  Rare but it happens.  Thinking about it has made me lean towards the mag though.  Still something aint right.

Ummmmm. Learn something new every day I guess.

Regardless, his first order of business and the usual suspect should be the mags.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ummmmm. Learn something new every day I guess.

Regardless, his first order of business and the usual suspect should be the mags.

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the thoughts gentlemen.  I'll put those new springs in next week when they arrive and get back to you all.  I'll also work on my technique so I can definitely rule out limp wristing.  Right now, I'm not sure.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:14:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like your mags or your limp wristing, or just could be a mechanical defect in your 27, i never had it with my 27 and all three mags had + 1 extensions
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sounds like your mags or your limp wristing, or just could be a mechanical defect in your 27, i never had it with my 27 and all three mags had + 1 extensions hr

hydroshok, did you use stock springs or stiffer springs?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I used stock springs with both the stock mags and the Pearce extensions on my G27 and never had an issue.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I can say that the issue is almost definitely a spring issue.  I just put 100 rounds through it of the same ammo just now using the stock floorplates and had NO jams.  

However, I also paid more attention to keeping a stiffer wrist... so I suppose I can't say for sure.  The springs will be here midweek and I'll report back.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#16]
LOL I went back so make that 200 rounds with no jams:)
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#17]
The only time my G27 ever had a FTF was when I had the Scherer +1 extensions on with the stock magazine spring.  Nothing but stock parts and never a problem!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:55:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Well my Glock Armorers manual states the following problems that can contribute to a FTF:

Underpowered Ammo
Weak Mag Spring
Tight Extractor
Deformed Mag
Weak recoil spring
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Got a glock 23 with shcerer +2's using stock springs and have never had a problem shooting lots of wolf.  It is really hard to rack the slide on first round though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#20]
jfrank

I have a Glock 27 and replaced the OEM 9 round magazine floor plates with "Pearce Grip" +1 extension.  I did not replace the OEM spring.  After reading this post I thought I'd best see if I now have a spring tension / compression problem.

I took the 27 with the two modified mags out yesterday for the first time.  No problems.  However, I shot only 20 rounds from each mag and was satisfied with that.

Incidently I shot Win Silver tips HPs, Rem FMJ, Fiocci FMJ and Speer HPs through the mags.  I guess I could have shot more, but wanted to move on to the AK.  

Good luck with your 27.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#21]
My question for everyone :
Why have a compact or sub-compact Glock and make modifications
that increase the size of the weapon?  If you want a larger handgun with
more magazine capacity, then by a full size Glock.  The smaller Glocks are
designed for conceal carry and as secondary weapons.  It has been my experience
that most of the time when someone adds oversized slide releases, mag extensions and
other pointless modifications, they create their own problems.  I am sure the Glock engineers
designed each model to perform just as they are.  Just a thought...what do you
guys think?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I find with most things, it's best to stick with the factory. No interest in using G23 mags?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I agree.  My G27 came with on flat base mag and one extended.  I carry it with the falt one but have the extended one as back up.  If it is a small gun KEEP IT SMALL!!!

If it's big gun make it bigger
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top