Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 3:01:49 PM EST
I am going to buy a new handgun and really like the Glock 21sf but the XD45 tactical fits my hand just a bit better. In your opinion should I go with the glock or XD.

tell me what you think
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:18:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2007 3:19:24 PM EST by ougunnut]
XD hands down IMHO. I think XD's are way under rated. I must admit though that I consider them an excellent base to start from. I would not buy an XD planning on leaving it stock. The weakness in the XD is the long reset for the trigger making follow up shots kinda slow. You can buy replacement parts that alleviate this or send it to Canyon Creek, Springfield, or others for the job. Since Springfield arms will do this to now you know it is not something that affects the reliability of the gun. The end result is a polymer framed pistol with excellent ergonomics, grip angle similar to a 1911, trigger that can only be beaten by a 1911 in terms of speed and crispness, and reliability.

I personally would get the XD, some Heinie straight 8 night sights, and then send it to canyon creek to be worked over.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:31:48 PM EST
I looked at Glocks and they just plain felt awkward. So I bought an XD45 standard for 475 new , 60 bucks for a Springer sear to fix the long pretravel and could not be happier! Buy the tactical! I can just about guarantee that you will never regret it.

ABSOLUTELY believe they could have done a better job designing the grip and the way the trigger housing where the finger is. If I hold the XD and point it at the target while pointing my index finger forward for "standby", when I go to fire, I just curl my finger straight in and it goes straight to the trigger.
On the Glock, my finger is inline with the top of the trigger housing area. I have to move my finger down slightly and it doe not feel natural like the XD or a 1911.

But that is just me. Go to a shop where you can fondle both at the same time and buy which ever one is calling your name! You know what i am talking about One of these is calling your name and the other is riding the bandwagon of popularity!
I believe they are both quality firearms though, buy what fits
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:55:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/9/2007 5:55:59 AM EST by Hawkdriver]
I think the advantages of the Glock outweigh the advantages of the XP...

I was a fence sitter myself until I saw Bigbore's torture test and found out that I qualified for a $100 .mil discount.

It quickly became a no-brainer to get a Glock for me.

I replaced the factory sights and don't touch the trigger till I'm ready to put a hole in something...

Glocks are also far easier to completely disassemble.

Glocks appear to have a superior design when you compare how all the parts go together.

I wouldn't mind a frame mounted thumb safety ala 1911, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

Glocks don't rust...

Lots of cheap mags if you shop around.

Far more accessories.

After getting used to them, Glocks have become my favorite handguns...

Disclaimer: all of the above is my opinion...

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:13:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By Xcombatmp:
but the XD45 tactical fits my hand just a bit better.

tell me what you think

You don't need to hear what I think...

You answered your own question
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:23:25 AM EST
go w/ what suits you, your needs, requirements

i went w/ glock; sorry, but SA's parts policy SUCKS
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:28:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By Xcombatmp:
I am going to buy a new handgun and really like the Glock 21sf but the XD45 tactical fits my hand just a bit better. In your opinion should I go with the glock or XD.

tell me what you think

"In my opinion" buy the one you like, its your money and you have to live with it. Me? I would buy the Glock
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:35:08 AM EST
First, I am admitted Glock guy, but when the XD's hit the market I was interested.

However, after seeing one XD go tits up at a USPSA match and the shooter went to his back up XD, that soon failed as well, I will pass on the XD. (To add, both guns were stock, no mods what so ever.)

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:23:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By Hawkdriver:

Glocks appear to have a superior design when you compare how all the parts go together.

Glocks don't rust...

I know it is just your opinion but I just wanted to understand the first comment. Having parts that are easier to put together do not neccessarily mean a better design.

Also on the rust comment. XD's are now all finished in melonite (I don't know if that is spelled right). Tennifer and Melonite are trade names for firearm finishing processes that involve salt bath nitriding. They are essentially the same thing. There will be differences since it is not the same company but they are the same treatment. If you get an xd with the old finish that has rust issues you can send it to springfield and they will refinish it for free with melonite.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:38:05 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:47:45 AM EST
I like me XD, both of them in fact.. 9 and 45 shoot much better in my hands than the glock I tried. Hand comfort helps as well.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:59:08 AM EST
Go with what fits your hand and budget.....
Fire both if you can. Is there a range near by that has gun rentals ??
I am sure there are plenty of Arfcommers around your area
that will meet you at a range and let you shoot there XD's and Glocks.
I for one am biased and say glock....Original G21 60'000rnds..
Whish my Colt Combat Elite could hang but what a Sweet trigger and grip.
Glock customer service IMHO
Glocks are not 100% but close to it for reliability...Then again it could always
KABOOM on you

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:11:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/9/2007 8:13:17 AM EST by cnatra]
Glock is a more proven design IMHO

BUT I really like the XD's

I have three Glock 9mm's & one XD 9mm compact

I plan on buying two XD .45acp's soon (tactical & compact)

G21sf still too big for me , I will have a G20 someday though !!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:14:47 AM EST

Originally Posted By bigcraig:

However, after seeing one XD go tits up at a USPSA match and the shooter went to his back up XD, that soon failed as well, I will pass on the XD. (To add, both guns were stock, no mods what so ever.)

details on the broken XD's ??
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:17:41 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:44:48 AM EST

Originally Posted By bigcraig:
First, I am admitted Glock guy, but when the XD's hit the market I was interested.

One guys comp gun dies, then his backup?? Think about it .... I am willing to bet that it WAS NOT STOCK! Any idiot can start modifying a gun and get those same results. Sounds like he did the same mods to BOTH guns! A lot of guys are playing with teh XD's trigger bar and sear arrangement. If not done correctly, then the reset and other problems occur.

I would NEVER base my opinions on a firearm from watching others comp guns.

XD's have passed the same 20,000 round torture tests that Glocks have. The real info is out there!
While it is true that Springfields parts procurement sucks, this is just simply driving the aftermarket for the XD which is great.

I can get Barrels, triggers, trigger bars, sights, springs, different guide rods all aftermarket right now.

IN the end, like I have said before, buy what is calling your name!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:38:23 AM EST
cnatra, I didn't ask the owner of the XD what had caused the problem with his primary gun, it was the fullsize .40. His back up XD was the .45 tactical and I do remember the cause of the stoppage, it broke a guide rod.

toxic, the gentlemen in question was competing in production class, he use to compete in limted 10, but he was tired of tuning his franken1911. He specifically bought the XD's to compete in production class for the main purpose to not have to do anything to the guns. He liked the triggers on both guns, he just couldn't decide which caliber he wanted to stick with, thats why he bought both .40 and .45. The guns broke in late May or early June, he didn't get them back until around the middle of August and quickly traded them both in for a couple a S&W M&P's, a 9mm and a .40.

Truth be told, I like the feel of the XD but I have too much money, time, parts, mags and training with Glocks. However, everybody that I talk to that owns the new S&W M&P series guns, tells me that I would love them if I shot them.....well see.
Top Top