Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/12/2006 5:50:20 AM EST
I need helping deciding on which one to get. I really like 1911's however I want something lighter that I can beat around a little and take hiking. From everything I've heard glocks are very reliable, so can HK justify the 200+ price difference?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:01:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/12/2006 6:02:37 AM EST by pulpsmack]
that the HK is safer choice (manual safety on it) is one pro in my opinion. Adding one to a Glock aftermarket knocks off at least half of that savings alone. as for the other $100... how does it fit you? Which feels better in your hand? Which shoots better. In terms of popularity both are a dime a dozen and should be available for rent at any decently equipped range. I reccommend you try both.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:12:51 AM EST
Get the Springfield XD45acp. I would of bought a Glock 21 years ago, but the grip is just too damn wide for me. And I don't have small hands. The XD45acp fits my hands good. The accuracy is just as good as my Glock 22, maybe a tad better.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:20:40 AM EST
There is a good thread here about torture testing the G21. I believe it is by bigbore. IIRC, he also tested the HK and it didn't live up to the G21 on that particular torture test. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:50:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By DeuceG19:
There is a good thread here about torture testing the G21. I believe it is by bigbore. IIRC, he also tested the HK and it didn't live up to the G21 on that particular torture test. YMMV.

And in other torture tests, like the Larry Vickers test, the USP...and a lowly springfield mil-spec, wiped the floor with the Glock 21.

When are you people going to learn that one test doesn't mean anything, especially since it was a compact model that bigbore tested which is not even the firearm in question here. Bottom line is, every firearm will fail under the right circumstances. The difference is that HK and Glock do it alot less often than the others.

Anyhow...the HK takes the reliability of a Glock and the accuracy of a match grade 1911, and puts it in a package that has extreme durability, common grip angles, the ability to carry cocked and locked with a safety in the proper location, sights that are actually usable, and a good trigger (HK's SA pull is quite nice)

If those features are worth 200 dollars to you, then get the HK. If not, get the Glock. Both will serve you well.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:08:39 AM EST
When I purchased my first gun it was down to both these guns. I went with the HK for it felt better in my hand and I liked the saftey feature on it as well. There is something about not having a safety that makes ne a little nervous especially when I know I will be carrying it. Heck that's why I now carry the Kimber Ultra Carry II!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:18:58 AM EST
Both are good, but the HK fits my hand so much better. Try them both, for me it's HK.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:40:19 AM EST
alloy frame 1911?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:01:05 AM EST
Glock 21 all the way!!! H&K is just a bunch of marketing BS. No H&K will hold up to or still fire after you put it through a Glock Test.
I've had both but the H&K wouldn't keep up w/ the 21
A Brain, it's the last safety you'll ever need
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:07:15 AM EST

Originally Posted By MurdochsM4:

so can HK justify the 200+ price difference?

Can the homeless make a shoe stink??????
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:16:55 AM EST
the nice thing about the G-lock is you can get a ton of after market triger mods for it.
just don't shoot your eye out with it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:46:16 AM EST
I have both and the HK is a better handgun IMO.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:49:26 AM EST
i have both, for the $$$$s, the Glock is the better choice

h/w, the HK can be the best shooting hi-cap .45acp out there w/ an improved DA trigger pull and lower tang

same could be said about the glock's grip
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:48:28 PM EST
They're both good guns, how much do you want to spend? The aftermarket for HK is MUCH smaller than for Glock. Go price extra mags for an HK. How does $45+ each sound? G21 mags can be had for $14, and that's the high caps.

I've shot both, I compete with the Glock because of cost of components and mags. Both are good guns, I just don't go glassy eyed and drool on the altar of HK at the sight of a USP.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:56:27 PM EST
To me I am happy with my G-21. I have owned Kimber, Wilson and have a Colt Combat Elite I had customized. For the money give me a G-21.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:05:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By usmc5593:
Glock 21 all the way!!! H&K is just a bunch of marketing BS. No H&K will hold up to or still fire after you put it through a Glock Test.
I've had both but the H&K wouldn't keep up w/ the 21
A Brain, it's the last safety you'll ever need

Ok.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:10:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By Marksman14:

And in other torture tests, like the Larry Vickers test, the USP...and a lowly springfield mil-spec, wiped the floor with the Glock 21.

When are you people going to learn that one test doesn't mean anything, especially since it was a compact model that bigbore tested which is not even the firearm in question here. Bottom line is, every firearm will fail under the right circumstances. The difference is that HK and Glock do it alot less often than the others.

Anyhow...the HK takes the reliability of a Glock and the accuracy of a match grade 1911, and puts it in a package that has extreme durability, common grip angles, the ability to carry cocked and locked with a safety in the proper location, sights that are actually usable, and a good trigger (HK's SA pull is quite nice)

If those features are worth 200 dollars to you, then get the HK. If not, get the Glock. Both will serve you well.

If you would be so kind to reread my post, you will see phrases such as "on that particular torture test" and "YMMV".

Thank you for your consideration.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:13:11 PM EST
the bitterness of less quality lasts long after the sweetness of lower price.. Glock = Good Gun.. HK = Great Gun..
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:32:31 PM EST

If you would be so kind to reread my post, you will see phrases such as "on that particular torture test" and "YMMV".

Thank you for your consideration.

You're still only telling half the story. So until people start posting the whole story, I'll be right behind you.

If it makes you feel better, I do the same thing to HK owners that use the Vickers test to promote their agenda.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:55:05 PM EST
I have an H&K tactical and bought it after shooting the Glock 21. The glock didn't impress me as much as the HK did and its MUCH more accurate than the glock too.

HK without a doubt. I opted for the tactical model, even thought the USP worked as well for me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:15:29 PM EST

You're still only telling half the story. So until people start posting the whole story, I'll be right behind you.

If it makes you feel better, I do the same thing to HK owners that use the Vickers test to promote their agenda.

Good deal. I didn't know about the other torture test. I only knew about the test that I posted about....since I found it here on arfcom.

Hence the "on that particular torture test" and "YMMV" phrases in my initial quote.

I don't even have a dog in this hunt. I don't even own a G21.

Jeesh.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:01:05 PM EST
Anyone have a link to the Vickers torture test? Bigbore's was pretty harsh. I can't imagine one that was worse.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:50:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/13/2006 8:57:21 AM EST by RSF45]
Glock 21
Had it almost 10 years now.
The only problem i've had is when HK people shoot it better, then try to sell me their USP.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:02:21 AM EST
Had both, preferred the HK by a LONG shot. If you are a 1911 shooter I think you will feel the same way.

Go to a rental range and try both, then buy.

And one more thing--by the time you load it, its as heavy as a 1911 anyway.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:12:54 AM EST
If you like the 1911, the HK should suit you better than the Glock. I don't know the actual dimensions, but the USP .45 always seemed narrower. Plus, you can carry it cocked and locked. If you look carefully, you can find them used in the $500 range.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:20:23 AM EST
These are some factors that I looked at when deciding between the 2

Glock:
A little smaller
I believe the capacity is 13+1
Cheaper
Wierd grip angle
Cheaper magazines
No "real" safety

HK:
More expensive
12+1 capacity
safety with many variants that can easily be switched by the user even to left handed (can be safety/decock, safety only, decock only by simply switching a plate)(the left-handed thing was a big plus for me)
Expensive magazines

I've never actually shot a G21 so I can't compare accuracy, but my USP is more accurate than I am. With all that said, the decision is up to you.

oh and by the way, wasn't the HK in BigBore's test a USP compact?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:33:19 AM EST
Here is some more inputs from the Glock forum:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=13&t=29022

For me the Glock 21 was too wide for my hands so I went with the .40 Glock 35 and HK USP Tactical, and added a USP 45 Fullsize.

The Glock 21 is a fine gun, but the HK fits me better and is DA/SA.

Also, HKs are not that spendy. I bought the USP 45 full size with 5 mags and night sites for $525 used. You just have to shop around.

chris
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:41:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By MurdochsM4:
I need helping deciding on which one to get. I really like 1911's however I want something lighter that I can beat around a little and take hiking. From everything I've heard glocks are very reliable, so can HK justify the 200+ price difference?

You can always justify the price if you have options people want and are willing to pay for it. I know some people want an external hammer and manual saftey and want an "HK" so they are willing to pay the money because that is what they want. My USP was a reliable pistol and so is my Glock and at least in my case accuracy was about equal as with my XDS. The $200 extra is not worth it to me but I certainly can recomend the USP if you do not mind spending the extra money. So far my XD .45 is my favorite polymer pistol. However if you are in an area that has large animals and all you are taking hiking is a semi-auto handgun a Glock 10mm may be worth looking into. Just a couple cents from me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:40:17 PM EST
I have owned 2 USP's, a 9mm compact and a full size .45. I loved the 9mm but the .45 was the biggest piece of overpriced shit i have ever owned. After many years and many diffrent calibers and makes i carry a G19 daily, i have owned a 26,two 27,s, a 19, and a 23 and never a problem with any of them. Even with the cheapest ammo money can buy and some reloads never a malfuntion.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:52:51 AM EST
Isn't the HK 45 supposed to be out soon? If so, you might wait and and get one of the USPs cheap.

96Ag
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:00:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By 96Ag:
Isn't the HK 45 supposed to be out soon? If so, you might wait and and get one of the USPs cheap.

96Ag

Supposed to me. Then again, so is the Shrike.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:11:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/15/2006 11:12:29 AM EST by MST2]
Get the Glock.

Built better, cheaper magazines, up to 17 round capacity in .45acp, just an overall better weapon.

HK is overated and overpriced piece of shit.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:31:35 AM EST
You really can't go wrong with either one.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:50:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By MST2:
Get the Glock.

Built better, cheaper magazines, up to 17 round capacity in .45acp, just an overall better weapon.

Care you explain your position, or are you just going to make faceless claims?

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:53:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/15/2006 11:53:15 AM EST by MST2]

Get the Glock.

No, I will just act like the HK guys do when they bash Glocks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:05:09 PM EST
GLOCK21!!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:07:27 PM EST
Get the OD Green G21. I wish I had one, but i am un willing to sell my black one.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:11:31 PM EST

Get the Glock.

Ok.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:25:42 PM EST

Get the Glock.

Ok.

+1
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:38:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:

Get the Glock.

Ok.

+1

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=455456
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:44:13 PM EST
GLOCK 21!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:46:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/15/2006 2:46:36 PM EST by BSheppard]

Get the Glock.

Ok.

+1

+1
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:58:39 PM EST

Originally Posted By BSheppard:

Get the Glock.

Ok.

+1

+1

+1
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:41:00 PM EST
Springfield XD45 Tactical. My is a tack driver. Next in line, the G21 and after that would be a ParaOrd for hi-cappers.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:57:28 PM EST
I was gonna buy an HK 45. Friend who had both strongly recommended I get the Glock. I scoffed at him because of the superiority of the HK (by God, I read about it - so it had to be true). He let me shoot both side by side. Didn't like the HK at all. More muzzle flip, grip was uncomfortable, trigger was not very good - and I don't carry cocked and locked on duty anyway. I guess if you're askin' which is closer to the 1911, then the HK is the one. I don't see that as an advantage. I bought into all the 1911 stuff cause I read it when I was younger. Ended up buying and selling 3 - cause none were reliable (but that's a different story).

Bought the Glock, and have thanked that friend for years. Best pistol I ever had. Very soft recoil comparatively. Have yet to have a single problem or malfunction with it. Feeds everything you stuff in it. The HK might be more accurate - but I can put a whole mag into the head of a B-27 target at 50 yards. Good enough for me - and anyone I might have cause to shoot at methinks.

Grip angle is different at first - but then (like everything else) you get used to it. Weird thing is, no grip angle is "natural" no matter what anyone tells you - unless you were born with a pistol in your hand. I'm bettin' against it. You learn on a gun, and that feels right to you. It's a training issue.

If you wanna be Gucci, get the HK. Betcha it does nothin the Glock doesn't do as far as shootin' and hittin'. If you want a dead reliable pistol with a tank-armor tough finish, the same good trigger pull every time, that costs much less, get the Glock. And make no apologies about it.

Either will get it done if you do your part.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:20:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/15/2006 10:21:14 PM EST by MST2]

Originally Posted By DigDug:

That thread is a prime example of HK snobbishness. Thanks DigDug. Glock is the better pistol, I know it, you know it, they know it, and the rest of the world knows it, why in the hell do you think they sell so damn many of them, it aint becuase they are pieces of shit or go kaboom.

It's just like the AK47, it is the most popular rifle design in the world, and for a very damn good reason.

If I had to choose two weapons to go into combat with, it would be a Glock and an AK47. If you don't get it, too bad for you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:23:29 PM EST

That thread is a prime example of HK snobbishness. Thanks DigDug. GlockHK is the better pistol, I know it, you know it, they know it, and the rest of the world knows it, why in the hell do you think they sell so damn many of them, it aint becuase they are pieces of shit or go kaboom.

It's just like the AK47, it is the most popular rifle design in the world, and for a very damn good reason.

If I had to choose two weapons to go into combat with, it would be a Glock and an AK47. If you don't get it, too bad for you.then you are actually capable of rational thought

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:20:38 AM EST

That thread is a prime example of HK snobbishness. Thanks DigDug. GlockHK is the better pistol, I know it, you know it, they know it, and the rest of the world knows it, why in the hell do you think they sell so damn many of them, it aint becuase they are pieces of shit or go kaboom.

If I had to choose two weapons to go into combat with, it would be a Glock and an AK47. If you don't get it, too bad for you.then you are actually capable of rational thought

Guess that's why the HK pistol has swept both the police and military market, right?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:42:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/16/2006 9:48:19 AM EST by BSheppard]
posted by:SPDSNYPR

Guess that's why the HK pistol has swept both the police and military market, right?

The Glock has not "swept" the military market. Both are great handguns but IMO the glock has done a great job of giving (almost) police departments pistols. A new Glock 22 can be had for about $400.0 if you have a friend that has a badge. The HK will cost almost twice that much. They both have there advantages and the Glock is definitely an option. But if you can't see that there is a market and some advantage to the HK, then you have not been thinking vary hard. The HK IMO is what the military is looking for in its new .45. Look at there requirement, it matches them perfect. Because I shoot 1911 every week, my requirements look similar. There are advantages to having a exposed hammer, slide saftey and DA/SA.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:45:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By SPDSNYPR:

If you wanna be Gucci, get the HK. Betcha it does nothin the Glock doesn't do as far as shootin' and hittin'.

Yet there are many in here who have owned both (as I did) & sold the Glock in favor of the H&K. Nothing "Gucci" about owning a quality brand, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:53:03 AM EST
I think "take camping" is an operative phrase here. I'd go for the Glock since you won't mind beating it up, easy to take apart and clean if it gets filled with crud and just generally a better field gun. I take my G29. Very compact and can't beat the 10mm power in a package that size. Fits in smallish belt pouch on my hip belt, very discreet too. I'd feel confident taking the thing apart, swishing it around in a stream to clean it if it got really dirty, drying it off with the trusty bandanna and putting back together again. Just a real no-fuss field pistol and who cares how ugly it gets, it was ugly in the first place.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top