Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/20/2012 4:59:52 PM EST
I am a long time Glock lover. I haven't had a 9mm Glock malfunction for a decade until today.

I was using one of the new Hornady ammos, but I am not sure if it was Duty or Defense. I was using new mags. The gun is a former Basic Law Enforcement Training trade in.

The day got off to a rough start when some Wolf steel case failed to eject and feed. After that, things went perfectly with some Blazer brass. Before leaving the range, I decided to try some of the Hornady I had in one of the mags I brought with me. I had numerous failures to feed while firing from retention. The Blazer functioned perfectly doing these same drills.

I feel certain that I had a good grip. I am a CMP service pistol shooter with 10s of thousands of rounds of hardball ammo downrange.

I guess I will clean and lube the gun, try tested mags, and run the ammo through again to see if it happens again.

Ever hear of problems with the Glock 17 and the new Hornady ammo?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:46:44 AM EST

Nope
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:03:21 AM EST
Hornady Critical Duty and Critical Defense has a reputation for not working in the PM9.

Hornady Critical Defense was designed to fail IWBA specs.

Speer Gold Dots and Federal HST is great ammo.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:18:11 PM EST
Originally Posted By TexasRifleman:
Hornady Critical Duty and Critical Defense has a reputation for not working in the PM9.

I've seen a few pistols choke on the stuff, I'm with TexasRifleman on the Gold Dots or HST.

Just bite the proverbial bullet, spend $400-500 and get a case of 124 gr. standard pressure Gold dots or HST, use 300 or so rounds to test your go to handguns, and you now have self defense ammo for the next decade or two, I've yet to find a decent gun that won't work with either type.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:31:51 PM EST
My gen g19 worked with critical defense, but did not like flat nose fmj 147 grains from american eagle on the last round. I run gold dots and hst only now.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:33:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By anesvick:

I've seen a few pistols choke on the stuff, I'm with TexasRifleman on the Gold Dots or HST.

Just bite the proverbial bullet, spend $400-500 and get a case of 124 gr. standard pressure Gold dots or HST, use 300 or so rounds to test your go to handguns, and you now have self defense ammo for the next decade or two, I've yet to find a decent gun that won't work with either type.

A decade or two if you dont load and unload all the time, cause i do and i toss the rounds that show bullet setback. 50 round box will last me like 7 months.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:43:24 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:56:10 AM EST

I have a PM9 that will disagree with you on that. It is 100% with either the +P load or the non +P load.
Accuracy is comparable with any other good SD loading.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:56:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/22/2012 8:41:41 AM EST by TexasRifleman]
Someone gave me some Critical Defense years ago, when it was new and exciting. I explained to him the promblems with the bullet design, and how it purposely failed the IWBA tests, and the importance of the IWBA specs. He wisely ditched that ammo and took some of my Gold Dots and went to buy more.

I was then the proud owner of 12 Critical Defense cartridges. I fired five from my G17 with no issue, and five from my PM9, but it failed to feed twice. The Kahr has had reliability work done to it, and I've never had an issue with it using Speer Gold Dot 124 SB, Winchester PDX 127, Speer GD 147, or Federal HST 147. I have had a single stovepipe using Tula, but no issues other than that with FMJ.

From this thread on PM9 ammo:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_35/128276_What_defense_ammo_do_you_use_in_your_PM9_.html

Originally Posted By OiRogers:
Originally Posted By Strider47:
124gr Gold Dot. Tried the Critical Defense and it choked in every magazine.

I am not impressed with Critical Defense or Critical Duty.
Both work fine in my weapons when at ambient temperature... I left a few boxes sit in the sun as I shot other stuff... Then both the Critical rounds choked my guns like I couldn't believe.

All I could guess was the polymer tips either became more tacky or expanded slightly in the heat and as a result hung up on feed ramps (not only limited to Kahr weapons). As of right now, I will not use a polymer tipped JHP pistol round.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:48:48 AM EST
Originally Posted By MAP:
Since the gun was a trade in maybe it's time for new springs.

Mike

Top Top