Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 8:57:27 AM EDT
Greetings; I looked for a pistol forum to post this but was not able to find one.  I realize that alot of AR users will also have a quality sidearm, so my question is this,

Will a Glock 17 3rd Gen with different frame numbers from the barrel and slide be worth significantly less for resale?.. I bought it used (but unfired and really in new condition, w/box and papers).. I was concerned about the different numbers but did not notice the difference and the dealer did not mention it.  I called Glock to inquire and the tech advised that there should be no problem with different numbers as far as reliability and functionality, but had no input on resale..  I did find out that the frame is originally from a G 22, and the original G17 frame is OD color.. any opinions?  

Thanks for your input..

New to Glocks
Bob
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#1]
you missed the correct forum, try the handguns forum...
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Greetings; I looked for a pistol forum to post this but was not able to find one.  I realize that alot of AR users will also have a quality sidearm, so my question is this,

Will a Glock 17 3rd Gen with different frame numbers from the barrel and slide be worth significantly less for resale?.. I bought it used (but unfired and really in new condition, w/box and papers).. I was concerned about the different numbers but did not notice the difference and the dealer did not mention it.  I called Glock to inquire and the tech advised that there should be no problem with different numbers as far as reliability and functionality, but had no input on resale..  I did find out that the frame is originally from a G 22, and the original G17 frame is OD color.. any opinions?  

Thanks for your input..

New to Glocks
Bob

Try posting this on glocktalk.com
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you buy it to shoot or as an investment?  I would not pay as much for it as a #'s matching  gun, but if the price was right I would not hesitate to buy it!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Post your question there. You'll get better answers.

GLOCK Section on AR15.COM

Miami JBT
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:55:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Glock? Quality side arm?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a cool fraken-glock. I bet your resale is slightly off normal, but dont worry, it wont be much.
I switch slides often just to see how well stuff fits. Right now I shoot my G22 with storm lake G17 barrel and G17 mag.

I tell you what, send it to me, I will shoot it for a year or so and let you if I will give you full market value for it ok???

happy_gopher
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sounds like a cool fraken-glock. I bet your resale is slightly off normal, but dont worry, it wont be much.
I switch slides often just to see how well stuff fits. Right now I shoot my G22 with storm lake G17 barrel and G17 mag.

I tell you what, send it to me, I will shoot it for a year or so and let you if I will give you full market value for it ok???

happy_gopher

Thanks for the info, happy-gopher, I got a pretty good deal, traded an older Rossi .357 and $247.00.  listed price was $450.00 it is basically a new gun...Coltman1985:  I did buy it as a shooter and well you know; get one now while you can thing....   thanks
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#8]
A Glock 17 is indeed an excellent sidearm. I have one that has had 5,000 rounds through it without one single failure.  I have seen other Glocks that have over 20,000 round counts and they are still functioning perfectly.  To answer your original question, I don't think having mixed numbers will adversely affect the value of your gun. It will likely still bring between $350-400.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A Glock 17 is indeed an excellent sidearm. I have one that has had 5,000 rounds through it without one single failure.  I have seen other Glocks that have over 20,000 round counts and they are still functioning perfectly.  To answer your original question, I don't think having mixed numbers will adversely affect the value of your gun. It will likely still bring between $350-400.

Good info,  thanks Old_Town.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#10]
My pleasure.  I came to Glocks a little late. I was a 1911 man for a long time. I fired my first Glock in 1991 and was impressed with the accuracy and reliability but I could not come to like the striker fired design and lack of a grip and external safeties. I bought my 1st Glock  in 2000 and I have never looked back. I shoot better with the Glock and they are much more reliable than any 1911 I ever owned.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#11]
no, it probably will not help resell value; h/w, it will not affect function either

run with it and be happy
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for your input..

New to Glocks
Bob

Try posting this on glocktalk.com

that site is just about as helpful as 1000lb weights while swimming

naw, its an ok site...damn server pisses me off b/c it will never log me in half the time
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

naw, its an ok site...damn server pisses me off b/c it will never log me in half the time

that's funny 'cuz it won't let me log off everytime.  lol    

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#14]
It may have had the replacements at the factory.

Don't worry about it, just shoot it and enjoy.

FWIW The slide is the registered part in Europe and not the frame.  IIRC the barrel requires the S/N too.

Hence 3 serial numbers on the gun.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks to everyone for their time to reply (the positive and helpful responses anyway).
I am just going to shoot it and not worry about it, it's unfired so far but maybe next week i'll get to the range.    I have a P3AT Kel Tec that I really like with the belt clip, so I got a Clipdraw for my Glock.... other than that I'll change the ejector and then I'm good to go..  This is my second Glock, used to have a model 23 but sold it 15 years ago, I always felt the grip was a little too small, the 17 feels just right..

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top