Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2005 10:45:24 AM EDT
sigforum.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/759102622
The verdict was overcharged ammo from S&B but two things about this one stick out to me.
One, I don't recall seeing a 17 KB before, other models yes, but not a 17.
Two,  I don't think I've seen one KB this bad before either.  Usually the frame splits or something similar, but not blown apart.
Has anyone seen one this bad before ?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#1]
no

looks like it got mauled by a chainsaw
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow, thats amazing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#4]
That is the worst KB I've seen yet.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like someone actually shot the pistol as a target.......if that is a KB that must have been one SUBSTANTIAL overcharge to blow the frame apart but leave the barrel mostly intact.....

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#6]
It's been said before and I'll say it here, any gun can Kaboom with an over charged round. I've seen picks of kaboomed 1911's too. I will agree this is the first G17 I've heard about it happening to which says lot considering how many people have been drooling for a chance to talk about one doing so.

Maybe this may help dispel one myth, that a shooter will loose his hand if a Glock kabooms on them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Glock 17 Kaboom !!

Now there's a big surprise

I keep hearing about how any handgun can KB, yet 90% of the KB images I see are GLOCKS.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I keep hearing about how any handgun can KB, yet 90% of the KB images I see are GLOCKS.

Probably because Glocks are the most common gun in use right now
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I call he  How would that of happened?  Especially since the magazine looks perfectly fine.  I think someone ran this over with a car/truck.

I say BS on this not as a Glock fan (I only own and shoot 1911s) so I hold no vested interest in it but come on guys, look at that thing.  The slide is fine, the magazine is fine and the shooter was fine?

but...but...I read it on the internet so it has to be true, right?

Quoted:

It depends what your definition of kaboom is.  Are you talking about a double charge?  Overcharge?  Obstruted bore?  Case failure?  What?

I've personally experienced a double charge and several case failures in my 1911s.  I've had significant damage and had to replace a barrel, an extractor, magazines and even a slide.  All of my failures or kabooms as you refer to them as have been directly related to poor reloads.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Doesn't look like a Kb to me looks like someone ran over it with something.  How does the slide stay intact near the breach yet the front of the slide was damaged as well as the barrel?   Kbs typically tear up one area of the gun, or the entire barrel and slide.  
I call  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Doesn't look like a Kb to me looks like someone ran over it with something.  How does the slide stay intact near the breach yet the front of the slide was damaged as well as the barrel?   Kbs typically tear up one area of the gun, or the entire barrel and slide.  
I call   hr

I agree gotm4.  Also, how did the base of the magwell get damaged while the magazine is perfectly fine?  Anyone can look at the damage to the magwell and see it was crushed.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Based on the pic of the bbl, it looks like one side of the chamber gave out.  Based on the other damage, it must have been the bottom of the chamber that gave out, preserving the slide and trashing the frame.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#13]
fizassist - I could buy that theory if it wasn't for the damage done to the base of the magwell.  How would your theory explain that?  And if the frame was ripped apart like that how would you explain the fact that the shooter was fine?  His finger would have been on the trigger which is obviously gone now.  I would bet a force great enough to do that kind of damage would have certainly burnt and shredded a finger or two.

Like I said, I think it is BS but if we are just here to bash Glocks then by all means, carry on!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
fizassist - I could buy that theory if it wasn't for the damage done to the base of the magwell.  How would your theory explain that?  And if the frame was ripped apart like that how would you explain the fact that the shooter was fine?  His finger would have been on the trigger which is obviously gone now.  I would bet a force great enough to do that kind of damage would have certainly burnt and shredded a finger or two.

Like I said, I think it is BS but if we are just here to bash Glocks then by all means, carry on!

So you're saying it kaboomed THEN was run over by a truck ?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm saying that I call BS on the whole story.  If someone can give me a reasonable explanation as to why the bottom of the magwell/grip area is splintered apart while the magazine appears to be fine and if someone can explain why the entire trigger group/area is missing and destroyed yet the shooter suffered no damage to his fingers then maybe I would rethink my opinion.  But going by the pictures and reading the story (fitting term isn't it) I call BS.

I don't own any plastic pistols so I don't know their limitations but this looks very suspicious to me.

Believe what you like.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm saying that I call BS on the whole story.  If someone can give me a reasonable explanation as to why the bottom of the magwell/grip area is splintered apart while the magazine appears to be fine and if someone can explain why the entire trigger group/area is missing and destroyed yet the shooter suffered no damage to his fingers then maybe I would rethink my opinion.  But going by the pictures and reading the story (fitting term isn't it) I call BS.

I don't own any plastic pistols so I don't know their limitations but this looks very suspicious to me.

Believe what you like.

Well, the original post is at SIGforum and the person who this happened to is in Sweden if I read it correctly, so why not ask him your questions.
I posted it because it was something I hadn't seen before and thought I would share.
Knock yourselves out.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm sorry if you intended to have everyone agree with you when you posted this.  I thought these boards were to share ideas, experiences and opinions.  You posted something that seems fishy to me so I replied.  Are we not suppose to offer a different view or opinion or raise questions?

My opinions were not directed at you but to the original story.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'm a big Glock fan; I carry a 19 and/or 26.  But if you were (for example) to cram the chamber full of C4 and set it off, I bet it would KB.  I don't believe a 9mm Glock would KB with factory ammo that wasn't totally screwed up, but who knows what was in the case (or if the owner had 2 or 3 squib rounds before this one).

I have no explanation for the splintering at the bottom of the grip. but notice that

(1) The front of the trigger guard is still intact.  I'm guessing that most of the force was directed down and to the side, snapping the part of the frame containing the metal insert off.  It's not like the event destroyed everything in front of the magwell

(2) The chamber is severely distorted.  I don't care how many times you drive over a Glock, that's not going to happen.  It requires explosive force.  One way of the other, it "kaboomed".
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably because Glocks are the most common gun in use right now

Fair enough.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm sorry if you intended to have everyone agree with you when you posted this.  I thought these boards were to share ideas, experiences and opinions.  You posted something that seems fishy to me so I replied.  Are we not suppose to offer a different view or opinion or raise questions?

My opinions were not directed at you but to the original story.

I wasn't looking for cheerleaders and all opinions are welcome.
As I said, I posted it only because it was out of the ordinary.
The story is on SIGforum and it said it was S&B ammo that was overcharged that caused the KB.
He wasn't blaming the Glock.
No worries
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top