Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2009 2:58:39 PM EDT
OK it's gonna sound like a dumb question but am I able to carry while visiting Gettysburgh. I am new to the whole thing and my family and I will be taking a trip there in April to visit. Any help would be great.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 3:13:45 PM EDT
I assume you mean the National Park. Correct?

If so, the new NPS regulation allows concealed carry in National Parks, as long as you are in compliance with state law. I believe you need a carry permit for concealed carry in PA.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 3:36:03 PM EDT
Yes I have a PA LTCF so I am gtg. Any chance you know where I can find this info out about the National Parks
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 10:55:32 PM EDT
Here is the updated regulation: 36 CFR 2.4(h)

Title 36 Chpt. 1 Part 2 § 2.4 Weapons traps and nets.
(h) Notwithstanding any other provision in this Chapter, a person may possess, carry, and transport concealed, loaded, and operable firearms within a national park area in accordance with the laws of the state in which the national park area, or that portion there of, is located, except as otherwise prohibited by applicable federal law.

I can't find any online links for you, as it seems they have yet to be updated. The new regulation went into effect back in January.
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 11:38:51 AM EDT
Sounds good to me so I guess I'm packin when I go to Gettysburg
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 12:36:01 PM EDT
"carry your fu*king gun"

best words advised to me
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 12:50:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ALPHAGHOST:
"carry your fu*king gun"

best words advised to me

+1 Besides, the "concealed" part should alleviate any potential issue (unless it falls out).

Link Posted: 3/16/2009 4:01:59 PM EDT
The best place to ask this is probably the Hometown section, click on the state and ask there. You will get better advice than people who dont live in that state. They could also help you with advice on where to get good grub and places to stay. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 3:37:57 AM EDT
If you have a Concealed Carry permit from a state that has reciprocity with Pennsylvania, you will be legal. You also have to abide by Pennsylvania carry regulations while you are there.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 4:11:28 AM EDT
Buy the CD and do the car tour...no worries ans its great!
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 4:33:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JLREED:
If you have a Concealed Carry permit from a state that has reciprocity with Pennsylvania, you will be legal. You also have to abide by Pennsylvania carry regulations while you are there.

I believe that you just have to have your home state permit, not a permit from the state in which the park is locatrd.
You do have to abide by the carry laws in that state, though. Reciprocity is not required.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 5:14:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/17/2009 7:26:19 AM EDT by JLREED]

Pensylvania has to recognise the state permit. There is a list of states available, through your local home state .gov (State Police listing, usually) online that will say which states recognise your concealed carry permit from your home state.

For instance, if you have a New Hampshire CC permit, Pensylvania has reciprocity with New Hampshire, and honors the NH state CC permit. If you have a Massachusetts CCW permit, Pennsylvania does *not* have reciprocity with Massachusetts, and so does not recognize the Mass permit, and you cannot legally carry concealed in Pennsylvania with a Mass permit.

Now, this is because Massachusetts refuses to honor out-of state CCW permits, so therefore nobody recognizes theirs.

Not the same thing as applying for a Pennsylvania carry permit, which is what I think you think I was saying.

Link Posted: 3/17/2009 9:22:02 AM EDT
You will want to check this to be sure, but I believe you are NOT allowed to carry concealed in any NPS buildings.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 3:36:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dirksterG30:
You will want to check this to be sure, but I believe you are NOT allowed to carry concealed in any NPS buildings.

I think I did see something about that beging like a Federal building
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 2:32:26 PM EDT
Well, hold off before you carry in National Parks.

Judge Blocks Bush Rule Allowing Concealed Weapons in National Parks

By Del Quentin Wilber
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, March 19, 2009; 5:35 PM

A federal judge today blocked a last-minute rule enacted by President Bush allowing visitors to national parks to carry concealed weapons.

U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly issued a preliminary injunction in a lawsuit brought by gun-control advocates and environmental groups. The Justice Department had sought to block the injunction against the controversial rule.

The three groups that brought the suit –– the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the National Parks Conservation Association and the Coalition of National Park Service Retires –– argued the Bush Administration violated several laws in issuing the rule.

In her ruling, Kollar-Kotelly agreed that the government's process had been "astoundingly flawed."

The regulation took effect Jan. 9 and allowed visitors to carry loaded concealed guns into national parks and wildlife refuges. In the past, they had been allowed in such areas only if they were unloaded, stored or dismantled.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/19/AR2009031902801_pf.html
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 6:35:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Reservoir_Dog:

By Del Quentin Wilber

A federal judge today blocked a last-minute rule enacted by President Bush allowing visitors to national parks to carry concealed weapons.

U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly issued a preliminary injunction in a lawsuit brought by gun-control advocates and environmental groups. The Justice Department had sought to block the injunction against the controversial rule.

The three groups that brought the suit –– the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the National Parks Conservation Association and the Coalition of National Park Service Retires –– argued the Bush Administration violated several laws in issuing the rule.

In her ruling, Kollar-Kotelly agreed that the government's process had been "astoundingly flawed."

The regulation took effect Jan. 9 and allowed visitors to carry loaded concealed guns into national parks and wildlife refuges. In the past, they had been allowed in such areas only if they were unloaded, stored or dismantled.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/19/AR2009031902801_pf.html

Well it's a damn good thing I haven't left yet OK so now what are everyones thought on this
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 8:17:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ebrasse:

By Del Quentin Wilber

Well it's a damn good thing I haven't left yet OK so now what are everyones thought on this

Just carry it in your trunk, in a locked box with the ammo seperate during your tour through the park proper - carry as normal in town. Depending on when your trip is scheduled, this libtard judge may have already been overturned, then you only have to worry about Federal buildings.

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 8:34:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ebrasse:

By Del Quentin Wilber

Just carry it in your trunk, in a locked box with the ammo seperate during your tour through the park proper - carry as normal in town. Depending on when your trip is scheduled, this libtard judge may have already been overturned, then you only have to worry about Federal buildings.

So the town itself is ok Its does not fall into the National Parks cool. I am sorry for all the dumb questions but I am new to this. This will also be my first time carrying. What a way to start off huh right in the midst of a National Park

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 11:51:46 AM EDT
Not that anyone here would ever tell you anything incorrect puposely but this demonstrates a very good point... verify what is legal or not yourself. It is your ass going to jail if an infraction happens. We will all still be sitting at our keyboards while you bear the penalty.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 7:07:02 AM EDT
OK the trip was great the weather could have been better on Thursday but Friday was nice. Kids loved it wife loved it the Wyndham Gettysburg was just the best damn hotel ever. The pool was too cold. There were no events that took place so that was a good thing foe my first time CCW. Thanks to all who gave me great info. Next trip is to Badlands SD in July.
Top Top