Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2005 6:54:58 AM EDT
Any idea what it might cost to have a good smith make an aluminum frame 3" kimber more reliable by replacing critical MIM parts and doing other required relaibility work?  I have one that doesn't inspire much confidence as it has failed to function many times, and broken twice in 3,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup, I've been going through the list over the last few days.  I guess I asked the wrong question.  What I meant to ask was, what parts do I need to have replaced and what work do I need to have done to make my Kimber reliable?

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#3]
What is breaking?
Lemme guess, slide stop?
Replace the slide stop with one of these:
Wilson Bullet Proof
Easy, you can do it yourself.
Get some of these:
Wilson Mags
Load 'em up and shoot.
I'd do the above before sending it to a 'smith, unless you want a trigger job too.
Reliability should not be a problem with a good slide stop and good magazines.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Slide stop hasn't broken yet.  So far, the ejector and the mag release have been the culprits.  I swapped out to Wolff magazine springs to see if that would improve the feeding problems, but I don't have enough time on the new springs to know if they made a difference.  

I've heard good things about the WIlson mags, I'll give a couple a try.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:36:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I didn't realize that Kimber had gone to all MIM parts.
Basically, for whatever you paid you got a frame and slide, barrel and sights.
Replace everything else with quality aftermarket, Ed Brown, Chip McCormick, Wilson etc.
Then you'll have a gun.
Make sure to thank Kimber for the low prices...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#6]
CT Brian is the Master of the 3" 1911. That is the man for the job.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#8]
C.T. Brian Custom 1911

Incredible work...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:46:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup, CT Brian does beautiful work.  

Uh, anyone but me noticed his work is a bit on the pricy side?  I don't doubt for a moment that it's worth every penny, I just don't have that many pennies....
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#10]
CT Brian is good with the small ones. Otherwise I would send the gun back to Kimber for a slide stretch.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Check out Marc Morganti at geminicustoms.com.  He does some of the best custom 1911 work on the planet.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a Kimber Satinless Ultra Carry (Officers model) with about 10k rounds thru it.  No real problems to speak of.  I did tune the extractor and polished the feed ramp to ensure reliability and put a new trigger in.  No problems now.  I shoot it in IDPA matches from time to time.

Most of the work on the 1911 is easy enough to do on your own.  If you are having feeding problems, polish the feed ramp and use good quality mags (wilson), not just new springs.

D
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Most of the work on the 1911 is easy enough to do on your own.  If you are having feeding problems, polish the feed ramp and use good quality mags (wilson), not just new springs.

D

That's an appealing idea.  I just happen to have a really cheap 1911 that is also having some feed problems, and I'd love to try my hand at polishing the feed ramp on it.  Any idea where to go to get specific instruction on what to do?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I was haveing FTF issues with my recently aquired Para Warthog. I ended up replaceing the mag springs with ones from Wolff and it made all the difference. I then decided to polish the feedramp and it made it even more reliable. My feed ramp now looks like a mirror. I used some super fine paper to start it and then used the dremel , a 1/2" felt polishing pad and some jewlers paste and it now shines.  Put a few rounds thru her today and she runs like a top...
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Wilson mags are tops. A little pricy but you're paying for reliability.
In other mags, the followers are often the problem, not the springs.
I've got two Springfields(Full size and compact) and neither will feed the extra capacity C. McCormick mags reliabily but I replaced the followers with some out of some old Springfield mags I had. I can't get the extra round in the mags now but they cycle without a glitch.
I don't remember ever having a problem with the extra cap Wilson mags.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top