Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/1/2017 8:12:40 PM EDT
This barrel is out of a Gen 5 17, with approximately 300 rounds through it.

The barrel looks as worn as my gen4 G17 with around 3-4,000 rounds through it.

I thought the new coating on these gen 5's was supposed to be tougher? Anyone seeing this kind of wear this early?

I'm  going to continue to run this pistol like before  and see what happens.

Link Posted: 10/1/2017 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine has about 300 and has the same wear. The only thing that hasn't impressed me. Have had 5000rnd G17s with way less than that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Gen5 19 with a little over 1K and it's wearing about like the Gen3 with the frying pan finish did.

I have a 43 with over 4K and almost no barrel wear.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Inconsequential. Run it a minimum of 50k and see what it looks like . Finish wear don’t mean jack
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#4]
This appears to be normal for the Gen 5 based on other reports.

These are my Gen 4s with 4000 rounds each on them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#5]
This is mine with 100 rounds. However, I could not possibly care less about finish wear.

Link Posted: 10/1/2017 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like actual perfection occurs around Gen 7...maybe 8.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 4:47:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...it's wearing about like the Gen3 with the frying pan finish did.
View Quote
This. Looks like they've gone back to something similar to the Gen3 method of finishing the barrels.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I don't the the apply the same finish to the barrels as the slide.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Curious if glock changed the diameter of the hole in the slide of the barrel to improve accuracy.  I know when the slide is locked into battery the barrel is held rigid by the hood and the hole in the slide at the muzzle.   Glock might have changed the demensions on the hole where there is more friction on the barrel as the slide cycles.   I don’t have a Gen 5 to compare to a Gen 4 or 3.   The finish wear on a barrel is a non issue to me but on previous model Glock pistols you could get an idea of useage by the amount of wear on the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine Too, Glock wanted to keep up with Sig.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#11]
The finish on my 5th G19 is showing the same wear as pictured after 500 plus rounds.  The wear seems to have stopped at this point.  I also have some slight wear on the bottom edge of the slide where the slide locks are located.

Overall the new finish seem to be resistant to normal abrasion wearing, such as holstering etc.  No wear at all on the slide from my ALS and Kydex Holsters.  The finish does however doesn't seem to hold up to impact, and heavy pressure abrasion such as the areas on the barrel and slide where mine have worn.  I still like the finish overall, but Glock still has some work to do as far as toughening up the finish.  

It does hols up to holster wear much better than my 4th gens.  They have marks on the slide from the ALS locking system after two days.  

TXPO
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:44:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Can any of you please explain to me why you care about aesthetic wear on a barrel?

You'd have shit yourselves if you ever bought a MK23.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Inconsequential. Run it a minimum of 50k and see what it looks like . Finish wear don’t mean jack
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I would consider that almost like new wear.  That is barely any wear at all but if it bothers you put some grease on the spots where it shows where to minimize it.  Inevitably it is going to happen more and more though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Can any of you please explain to me why you care about aesthetic wear on a barrel?

View Quote
Why is that?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Why is that?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don’t. I don’t even care about aesthetic wear on the slide. A GLOCK is not a $3,000 1911.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#18]
And that’s after about a box of ammo
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:01:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL.  The MK23 had the worst finish known to mankind.  Some 'maritime' SEAL stuff, so HK claimed!  The finish on the barrel peeled off like a bad sunburn!  

The pistol was so ridiculously big it was the first crew-served handgun.  I can't believe I bought into the hype and actually bought one of those monstrosities 15 years ago...
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

LOL.  The MK23 had the worst finish known to mankind.  Some 'maritime' SEAL stuff, so HK claimed!  The finish on the barrel peeled off like a bad sunburn!  

The pistol was so ridiculously big it was the first crew-served handgun.  I can't believe I bought into the hype and actually bought one of those monstrosities 15 years ago...
View Quote
It’s ok. I did too.  

Still appreciate them but they’re still ridiculous.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Probably because it's not common on previous generations. It's not like a SIG and their shit finishes that owners have become accustomed to.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Probably because it's not common on previous generations. It's not like a SIG and their shit finishes that owners have become accustomed to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Came back to answer this question.  The wear seemed accelerated compared to my six other Glocks from previous generations.  I thank everyone for the input, it's appreciated. I will continue to flog this bitch and see how she does.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Just shot my new gen 5 19 today and found that pretty interesting when I was cleaning. My gen 4 has way less wear with about 6000 rounds through it.

I'm not worried about it though just found it weird
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Interesting the Gen 3 I had had that exact same wear I heard its called the Glock smile. The Gen 4 I have on the other hand does not have that wear.

Regardless its not harmful so run it till the wheels fall off.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Interesting the Gen 3 I had had that exact same wear I heard its called the Glock smile. The Gen 4 I have on the other hand does not have that wear.

Regardless its not harmful so run it till the wheels fall off.
View Quote
That's not glock smile lol. I have glock smile on my gen 4. This kind of wear needs a new name lol
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:27:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I clicked on this thread thinking the BORE was wearing.

Seems people will complain about anything. The wear is probably from the barrel and slide having a tighter fit.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Might have something to do with the harder slide finish 
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#28]
my guess is tighter barrel to slide fit causing the wear.

all of my gen 5s are doing it but as long as it doesnt rust i dont care.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
You guys don't remember the Gen2 days.  

The Gen2s had the rough, dull phosphate finish on the slide that showed wear like crazy and what appeared to be a blued finish on the barrel that showed wear really fast.   They called it barrel smilies, same as with Sig.  

Glock has had several different finishes through the years.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Gen3/early Gen4 frying pan is best.

A little slick but unstoppable
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:12:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Gen3/early Gen4 frying pan is best.

A little slick but unstoppable
View Quote
favorite lgs has a gen 3 frying pan g17 that they got in a trade. theyre only asking $349 for it, i might have to go back up there tomorrow and liberate it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:58:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You guys don't remember the Gen2 days.  

The Gen2s had the rough, dull phosphate finish on the slide that showed wear like crazy and what appeared to be a blued finish on the barrel that showed wear really fast.   They called it barrel smilies, same as with Sig.  

Glock has had several different finishes through the years.
View Quote
Oh I do, and the sexy wear patterns they would get from use.  

TXPO
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
my guess is tighter barrel to slide fit causing the wear.

all of my gen 5s are doing it but as long as it doesnt rust i dont care.
View Quote
Yeah, possibly a tighter barrel to slide hole fit but most certainly not a tighter barrel lug to locking block fit!  Pushing down on the barrel hood of the gen 5 Glocks I've handled have as much give as the older gen 2 and 3s!  Some of the newer gen 3s and 4s are much tighter in that aspect.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Guess I'll post up pics of my Gen 2 19 later as well... Was my ccw for years, had it over 14 years.

Also, there's  THIS.

Edit, checked the lock up on my G17.5 and it is tighter than any of my gen 4s, but that isn't saying alot.  This weekend I might mic some barrels and whatnot...
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I've been paying attention to this thread as my 19 gen 5 is exhibiting even worse barrel wear.

I did a little more research, and this guy sent his into Glock, and they determined that there was some type of "slide molding issue" (i.e., it is not just cosmetic):

Gen 5 Taking a Beating

This is really annoying as I love the gun and don't want to have to send it in.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This appears to be normal for the Gen 5 based on other reports.

These are my Gen 4s with 4000 rounds each on them.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2261/IMG_2897-322577.JPG
View Quote
Do you ever shoot from a holster?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've been paying attention to this thread as my 19 gen 5 is exhibiting even worse barrel wear.

I did a little more research, and this guy sent his into Glock, and they determined that there was some type of "slide molding issue" (i.e., it is not just cosmetic):

Gen 5 Taking a Beating

This is really annoying as I love the gun and don't want to have to send it in.
View Quote
That post is discussing metal wear, not just cosmetic wear which is another thing entirely.

How does YOUR gun perform? Is it reliable? Accurate? Any metal peening?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Do you ever shoot from a holster?
View Quote
I carry in and draw from this one. The bottom one in my pic above more than the other as I've had it longer. There's virtually no wear on the barrels. One is at 5000 now and the other is at 4400. It may have to do with the fact that the Raven is finished very well inside and out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This barrel is out of a Gen 5 17, with approximately 300 rounds through it.

The barrel looks as worn as my gen4 G17 with around 3-4,000 rounds through it.

I thought the new coating on these gen 5's was supposed to be tougher? Anyone seeing this kind of wear this early?

I'm  going to continue to run this pistol like before  and see what happens.

https://i.imgur.com/49PnQSI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4jZ6tos.jpg
View Quote

Ha!
I just looked, mine looks just like it.
I'm just going to shoot the shit out it.
Seems to be more accurate than my Gen 4's.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Mine after 200 rounds in a g19

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#42]
mine does it also.  not very impressive at all
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#43]
My M gun has a couple of thousand rounds through it. It shot well enough at Nationals to get me some distinguished points. I recently ran it through a Vogel class too.

Despite any finish wear, it still shoots as accurately as can be expected.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Seems really shiny...

Did they change the nitride process?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
It’s lube.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 1:45:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My M gun has a couple of thousand rounds through it. It shot well enough at Nationals to get me some distinguished points. I recently ran it through a Vogel class too.

Despite any finish wear, it still shoots as accurately as can be expected.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/55995/IMG_0259-342008.JPG
View Quote
You shot your Glock in bullseye matches?
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:28:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You shot your Glock in bullseye matches?
View Quote
The NRA Distinguished Revolver/Pistol Program was designed to recognize excellence in Police Combat competition. It is similar to the Distinguished Program of the Department of the Army's National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice.The Distinguished match is fired during NRA PPC Regional tournaments and during the NRA National Police Shooting Championships. It is a service revolver/pistol type match and the equipment requirements are more stringent than in normal NRA sanctioned combat competition.Since there is no standard service gun for police, as there is for the military, specific regulations for the firearm and ammunition are necessary. While substantial alterations of the police firearm and it's ammunition is allowed in other matches, the regulations for this match are more stringent. The intent of the regulations is to provide a competition with minimum variations to firearms and no variation in ammunition, so equipment will not be a major factor in determining the best shooter. The firearm and ammunition regulations are strictly enforced. (Please refer to the NRA Police Pistol Combat Rules book for the exact rules and regulations.)The Distinguished badge will be awarded to those police officers who earn a total of 30 points through unassisted individual competition in NRA Police Distinguished matches. Credit points will be awarded to the highest scoring ten percent of all "non-Distinguished" competitors firing in the match ranked in order of merit. Fractions of .5 and over will be resolved to the next higher whole number. Smaller fractions will not be considered. The winning ten percent as described above will be further broken down and credit points awarded as follows:
to the highest scoring 1/610 pts.
to the next highest scoring 1/38 pts.
to the remaining competitors authorized credit points6 pts.DistRevMedal2.gif The first time an officer qualifies, he/she will receive the "Excellence in Competition" medal and a letter indicating the number of credit points earned.Each time an officer qualifies for additional points, he/she will be sent a letter to update his/her point total. No other medals will be issued by the NRA until the 30 points have been earned. At that time, either the Revolver or the Semi-Automatic Distinguished Badge will be awarded as well as a certificate indicating same.Applications are available here to conduct an NRA Police Revolver and Police Semi-Automatic Distinguished Matches. You may complete the form as it appears on your computer prior to printing it out and faxing/mailing back to NRA headquarters.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#47]
I will say that this barrel is clearly more accurate. Shooting B8’s at 25 yards yields consistently better scores compared to gen 3’s and 4’s imo. I don’t know if they made a tighter chamber, better fit or what, but whatever they did works.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I will say that this barrel is clearly more accurate. Shooting B8’s at 25 yards yields consistently better scores compared to gen 3’s and 4’s imo. I don’t know if they made a tighter chamber, better fit or what, but whatever they did works.
View Quote
I agree. Our pistol team has had great results with 115g Atlanta Arms, 115g Precision Delta, 147g G2, and surprisingly 115g Speer "Lawman" ball ammo.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The NRA Distinguished Revolver/Pistol Program was designed to recognize excellence in Police Combat competition. It is similar to the Distinguished Program of the Department of the Army's National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice.The Distinguished match is fired during NRA PPC Regional tournaments and during the NRA National Police Shooting Championships. It is a service revolver/pistol type match and the equipment requirements are more stringent than in normal NRA sanctioned combat competition.Since there is no standard service gun for police, as there is for the military, specific regulations for the firearm and ammunition are necessary. While substantial alterations of the police firearm and it's ammunition is allowed in other matches, the regulations for this match are more stringent. The intent of the regulations is to provide a competition with minimum variations to firearms and no variation in ammunition, so equipment will not be a major factor in determining the best shooter. The firearm and ammunition regulations are strictly enforced. (Please refer to the NRA Police Pistol Combat Rules book for the exact rules and regulations.)The Distinguished badge will be awarded to those police officers who earn a total of 30 points through unassisted individual competition in NRA Police Distinguished matches. Credit points will be awarded to the highest scoring ten percent of all "non-Distinguished" competitors firing in the match ranked in order of merit. Fractions of .5 and over will be resolved to the next higher whole number. Smaller fractions will not be considered. The winning ten percent as described above will be further broken down and credit points awarded as follows:
to the highest scoring 1/610 pts.
to the next highest scoring 1/38 pts.
to the remaining competitors authorized credit points6 pts.DistRevMedal2.gif The first time an officer qualifies, he/she will receive the "Excellence in Competition" medal and a letter indicating the number of credit points earned.Each time an officer qualifies for additional points, he/she will be sent a letter to update his/her point total. No other medals will be issued by the NRA until the 30 points have been earned. At that time, either the Revolver or the Semi-Automatic Distinguished Badge will be awarded as well as a certificate indicating same.Applications are available here to conduct an NRA Police Revolver and Police Semi-Automatic Distinguished Matches. You may complete the form as it appears on your computer prior to printing it out and faxing/mailing back to NRA headquarters.
View Quote
Does this mean I need to start working towards another police distinguished badge?  When did they start this program?
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Does this mean I need to start working towards another police distinguished badge?  When did they start this program?
View Quote
Until recently, there was a distinguished program for auto and revolver. Earlier this year, the NRA added production distinguished. It's the 60 round "Match 5" course, fired with a production gun.

The State Championship is this Saturday. It'll be your last chance until next year.

Production List
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top