Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/16/2012 1:05:30 AM EST
So I have been trying to read everything I can about the g20 and the spring change recommendations. So far I thought if it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't shoot super hot underwood ammo often if ever. BUT I added a trijicon rmr and 6" barrel. Shot about 100 rds with no trouble. I did notice the spent cases only fall about a foot or 2 from me. Then yesterday shooting Hornady 180gr critical defense on the second round from the mag I had a failure to go into battery. Just slightly. I had to drop the mag then rack slide. I put the bullet back in the mag and shot around 10 more without any issue.
Do u think this was a fluke? Or is it a sign I'm not aware of that something should be changed? I didn't think the rmr would add enough weight to hurt anything but thought I should ask about that too just to be safe.
Oh and after deer season the stock barrel will go back in.
Thanks for your time!
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 3:32:40 AM EST
If you're not using a factory Glock 6" barrel, then the fit of the barrel might be a little tight, slowing up the unlock/slide speed. I use at least 20# recoil springs on my G20, and it throws brass 6-8', shooting my moderate-velocity reloads.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 10:20:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/16/2012 10:21:24 AM EST by Swat_dude]
Are you running the stock spring? With the added weight of the 6 inch and the RMR, you would NOT want to go to a higher pound spring with "standard" loads.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 3:11:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/16/2012 3:12:19 PM EST by grabagear]
Yes it is the stock spring. Only cheanged barrel for deer season and added the rmr. So far only ever fired store bought target ammo and then the critical defense 180gr. 200 rds roughly through the gun total 50 of that from the stock barrel. Just tonight I got some hand loads from my buddy but no time to test so I have to use the Hornady store bought 180gr. After deer hunt though I will be using the stock barrel and the rmr. Probably switch to my buddies hand loads if they shoot good and have decent numbers. I get other caliber ammo from him often and is quality work from what I can tell.
Oh and he will be loading them similar to the Hornady critical defense specs. Which I don't believe are all that hot right?
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:55:11 PM EST
Originally Posted By grabagear:
Yes it is the stock spring. Only cheanged barrel for deer season and added the rmr. So far only ever fired store bought target ammo and then the critical defense 180gr. 200 rds roughly through the gun total 50 of that from the stock barrel. Just tonight I got some hand loads from my buddy but no time to test so I have to use the Hornady store bought 180gr. After deer hunt though I will be using the stock barrel and the rmr. Probably switch to my buddies hand loads if they shoot good and have decent numbers. I get other caliber ammo from him often and is quality work from what I can tell.
Oh and he will be loading them similar to the Hornady critical defense specs. Which I don't believe are all that hot right?

Critical defense is not hot at all. The typical hot 10mm loads are Underwood Ammo (my personal fave the 200 gr Horn XTP), Buffalo Bore Ammo, and DoubleTap.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 1:09:24 AM EST
Thanks for the tips. So I should be good leaving it stock then except for the rmr right? The occasional box of underwood would ok then too I figure?
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:20:01 AM EST
a single malfunction is pretty much never a reason to be concerned especially with a modified gun - a pattern of malfunctions is. In my glocks I have maybe had a malfunction rate of 2 in every 1000 rounds fired. No mechanical device is perfect
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:01:17 AM EST
I'm having the same issue with my G20 and 6" Stormlake barrel only it's more frequent (every couple rounds) and also quite frequent just when dropping the slide. I was wondering if a different spring would help also? I'm using the stock spring and only shooting store bought loads (Winchester 175gr silver tips, American Eagle 180gr FMJ for hunting, and some Corbon 155gr DPX) for now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:03:24 AM EST
I'm no. Sure what to tell ya on that. Maybe barrel is too tight? I haven't had a failure since the one. But haven't shot too many rinds either since then. Maybe this weekend I can shoot her some more
Top Top