Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2003 8:39:03 AM EDT
I have a Glock 19 S/N FGZnnn. The weapon came with a fired shell case dated March 2003, so it's of recent manufacture. I have three magazines with "2183-1" molded into the follower and "3206" molded into the base plate.

My problem is that if I:
 -load a single JHP cartridge into the magazine
 -pull the slide back and lock it
 -insert the magazine into the pistol
 -push down the slide release

The nose of the JHP dives into the base of the feed ramp EVERY TIME.

I went to the range with Winchester 115gr JHP and the last round in each magazine did this.

The followers have a bump offset to the back left so that the last round slides to the right to start the stagger in the magazine. The bump is pyramid shaped and only supports the rear of the cartridge just forward of the extractor groove. The top of follower's pyramid shape has a flat spot about 1/8" square which contacts the cartridge. This point of contact means that once the round moves forward about 1/4" the cartridge pitches forward. When a cartridge is riding on the back of another cartridge, its angle remains constant until it has cleared the lips of the magazine.

The Winchester JHP is the only one that I've taken to the range so far -last round stoppage every time. I have done the manual loading stoppage with Remington+P and Federal Classic JHP's and Winchester white box JHP's. All 115gr bullets.

Has anyone else seen or heard about this problem?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#1]
You should replace your 10 round mag followers with either the 9mm1 or 9mm3 followers.  The 9mm3 followers are $4.00 each from www.glockmeister.com, but I'd call Glock Inc too even though they've quit making them.  Also try pulling the slide to chamber a round instead of the slide lock, this may make it work in the meantime.  I have three of the 9mm1 followers that you can have it you want them.  The 9mm1 and 9mm3 followers are the same ones used in the standard capacity mags.  The newest ones are different however.  I had a Glock 19 and a few 10 rounders and had the same problems, I bought some pre bans and it worked fine then I replaced the 9mm1s with the 9mm3s, I never had any problems with the 9mm1 followers though, I just wanted the latest followers in my mags.  They don't in anyway increase capacity of the 10 rounds, but they do make the 10th round easier to get in.

Email me your address and I'll send you these three 9mm1 followers.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#2]
SocomCen is right on the money. I have the same problem with the 10 rounders that came with my g19. I only use my pre-ban full capacity mags so I have not changed out my followers. Based on the number of threads I have read about this on Glocktalk, it is a problem experienced by many model 19s.

drew
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys.

I have pulled the slide to the rear to chamber a round and it works better. Whipping the shooting hand forward when letting the slide go seems to help, otherwise it jams.

I'll give Glock a call. If they can't supply a follower then I'll bug SocomCen for parts.

I'm amazed that this problem hasen't been obvious to Glock before now.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Problem solved. I called Glock today and they're sending 9mm-1 followers at no charge for all my magazines.

Thanks again for the advice guys!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Other thoughts:

If the spring is older and possibly weak, replace it with a Wolf Spring.  Maybe just do it anyway.  Also, look at the mag release slot in the mag and also the mag release inside the frame.  If they are worn, the mag may be lower in the frame and cause the problem.  This sort of wear is accelerated by using aftermarket metal mags in your glock.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top