Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 9:57:01 PM EDT
I was in a rush from home to my current out-of-state residence and grabbed my .45 for plinking.  I've shot it, gave it a quick boresnaking, and left it be ever since I got it.  It is a Colt 1991A1... got it dirt cheap and it is a great beater.

It is still practically spotless inside since I only put a few rounds through it.  The one thing that always nagged me was the fact that it had a full length guide rod that needed replacing (I see no need for it).

Lo and behold, I'm now well away from home and forgot my barrel bushing wrench.  Is there some trick or magic spell that will get this thing that the Gods clearly never intended to exist off my gun?  I wanted to give it the old take-down/fondling before I head to the range but if I can't get it taken down, she ain't going anywhere.  

Any ideas?  After I get the slide off, I can't seem to push in that rod enough to twist the bushing.  Curses...

- BG
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:46:43 AM EDT
[#1]
You lost me,

If you have the slide off the frame, then you just need to pull the guide rod out out towards the breach, push the rod button in, and turn the barrel bushing.

On the other hand, I have all my bushing set up beyond tight in my pistols, so even if they did run standard guides, you would still need a bushing wench to turn them even after the button was out of the way(read when my bushing get loose enough to turn by hand, I replace them)
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:59:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a fine mess you got yerself into.

Standard guide and plug: NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT 'EM!!!  Din't Karl Malden teach you a damn thing????  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You lost me,

If you have the slide off the frame, then you just need to pull the guide rod out out towards the breach, push the rod button in, and turn the barrel bushing.

On the other hand, I have all my bushing set up beyond tight in my pistols, so even if they did run standard guides, you would still need a bushing wench to turn them even after the button was out of the way(read when my bushing get loose enough to turn by hand, I replace them)

I tried that... I just cant get the damn bushing to turn.

Curses... when is the next gun show... i need standard parts.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#4]
No, you need to throw a bushing wrench in your shooting bag.

Again, my thoughts are if the bushing will turn by hand, it has just way too much movent in the slide and is worn out.  On the other hand, if you like parts that rattle in you pistol, it's your call.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Carefully remove the slide stop the normal way but maintain holding the slide in place.
Place hand over the dust cover area as you release the spring tension because things may fly...but it's apart.
I'm not sure if you made it that far...if so disregard.
Safety glasses are in order...be careful.

Yep, made it that far... but want to get the spring and guide rod out for future deep cleaning.

I see a bushing wrench in my future...

- BG
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Corey,

I have a bushing wrench.  I'm off tomorrow, although I'll be fishing in the AM.  IM me, I could drop it off tonight or tomorrow sometime.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Kimber CC1, and have used the wrench only once to see how it worked.

I don't take the slide off first, though.

I'd type it all out if you're interested...otherwise it's too much typing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top