Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 10:22:30 PM EDT
With my full size (stock) Glock I get a two inch hole in the target, but to the left and above of bullseye.  The 'US Army Marksmanship Team' target says that I'm pushing or not following through.  However, with a compact Glock (also stock) I don't have this problem.  The grouping is noticeably not as tight, but center nevertheless.

I really want to believe that it's my fault and not the pistol's, but I'm starting to doubt that.  Could it be that the factory sights are off?  What are your thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

ETA:  I have thought about letting someone else try it, but when I go to the range, I never see anyone who, judging by looking at their targets, are better shots than I am.  I am not saying, by any means, that I'm an expert; I just don't see any decent shooters when I go to the range.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:26:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Since you are having difficulty locating a better shooter than yourself, why not get some women into the game? Many women seem to be natural shots...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:57:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How much left and high? I think I would try adjusting the rear over to the right a bit and see what I got then. Elevation could just as easily be the ammo you are using if you are at 15yd. or beyond. At closer ranges that may not be the issue. If you are shooting at 7yd. or less, then the problem is almost certainly you.

At 7 yards, I hit about 2" to the left and above bullseye, right between 10 and 11 o'clock.  At 25, I have the same problem, though I haven't measured how much off.  I would guess about 7".  What I don't understand is why it doesn't happen with a compact Glock, or other pistols.  A full size is not too big for my hands.
As far as adjusting the rear sight, they're stock sights.  Can that be done?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#4]
What range are you using?  Pops?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Pops and Atterbury.  You volunteering?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:42:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:22:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Not necessarily, as you may very well be a better shot then me.  

However, you can shoot my G17 if you like.  I usually shoot rapidly at seven yards and while my groups are not small they are centered over whatever it is that I am aiming at.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:56:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the offer, Mike.  I'm gonna try to go to Pop's either tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday afternoon.  Let me know if that's good for ya.  The next time after that will be in the first or second week of October.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I might be able to stop by wednesday afternoon.  I don't ever know what I am doing until about 10 minutes  before I do it.

ETA:  Wednesday.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I have two G19s. Both have Heinie sights. Shooting the same ammunition, one required an extra-tall front sight to adjust POI down, the other shoots to POI with the standard height sight.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:42:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I went to the range last night with MikeG23 (thanks again, bro), and the pistol is G2G.  He didn't have the problem I do.  I was still hitting to the left, but toward the end I got closer to POA by following through.  I will keep practicing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#12]
It was nice to meet you abnk, though it was kind of loud to actually have a conversation.  I wish I knew enough to actually help you with your grip or what ever, but unfortunately I am a novice myself.  When you get your POI shifted closer to the center, your groups are plenty tight enough.

I didn't notice, but how did you do with the G23?  You were hitting where you wanted to with it weren't you?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:27:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I didn't notice, but how did you do with the G23?  You were hitting where you wanted to with it weren't you?

Yes, with the G23 I was hitting where I was aiming.  Groups were not as tight, but still center.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Just picked up my 870 tactical there. Man is that a LE hangout or what?.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know man, most of the time when I'm there I have the range to myself.  Maybe I smell bad or something.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:55:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I don't know man, most of the time when I'm there I have the range to myself.  Maybe I smell bad or something.

Yeah, I meant to talk to you about the smell.

ms329, a lot of LEOs hang out there, but I don't see a problem with that.  Do you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top