Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 9/19/2004 5:46:32 PM EST
WTF!

The damn thing looks like it was glued on! Any recommendations on a decent set of after market sights?

Other than the sights falling off, the gun performed well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:57:03 PM EST
If you're willing to pay to have the slide machined to accept a dovetail, I think Heinie Slant Pro sights are the best fixed sight out there. You can just send in the slide to have them mounted.

You're not the first person to have this problem with the Officers Model.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:27:04 PM EST
Or you can simply get another front sight from Colt...who will most likely send it to you for free...and have it staked on correctly by a competant gunsmith. Call 'em...they really are responsive...or used to be at least...to their customers. (Not to be confused with their "could give a shit" attitude about homeland defense rifle sales)

www.colt.com/CMCI/custserv.asp
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:34:08 PM EST
mine is doing the same thing - its loose but hasn't fallen off....yet.

you can get most good sights put on fairly easy - you can do it yourself - just go slow. Brownells has the front sight staking tool but smoothing the sucker out inside the slide can be a pain.

have a gunsmith put a set of trijicons (i think they make a stake on front sight) on it. it doesn't take too long to have it done. i just don't shoot the officers model enough right now to screw with it.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:41:03 PM EST
Panzersgt.- my Colt Combat Commander had the rear sight slide out of its dovetail and the white dot pop out of the front sight. The guy at Colt said, "It's not supposed to do that!" No S---! He added, "Send it in and we'll fix it for you." No, Thanks.

I ordered some Novak low profiles for it & spent the money to have new dovetails cut in the slide. It was a perfect job except for the slight nick the gunsmith put in the rear dovetail when he started to cut it at the wrong angle. Oh, well, live and learn; it doesn't affect the function.

I'm not too hip on staked on front sights, I'd rather have a dovetail cut for a front sight.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:55:17 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:17:50 PM EST
I second having the dovetails cut and some novak sights put on, you won't regret it

Tom
Page Handguns » Colt
Top Top