Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2008 6:50:12 PM EDT
I've been carrying my commander sized Dan Wesson CBOB for about a year now. I use a C-TAC gun belt, with a MTAC IWB holster.  I've tried adjusting the angle on the holster, and the depth...and my position I carry it in.....but I just can't seem to find a comfortable position for it.  

I seem to bounce back and forth between the 3:00 position, and the 5:00 position....and everywhere in between.  

How do you guys carry your 1911?  I'm a pretty skinny guy, and I just can't seem to get the gun to "hug" tight to my body....it always feels like it's hanging off of me.  

Anyone have any good pics of them wearing their 1911?
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The sweet spot for a pistol like that for me is around 4:00.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Should I adjust the holster so less of the gun is in my waist ban.....or sink it down deeper so more is down in there? I think have of the problem is that the MTAC has so many adjustments, it's driving me crazy trying to find one that works.  

I currently have it canted forward all the way, and as deep down as I can get it. Maybe I should try to raise it up a little??

Link Posted: 12/17/2008 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Ditch that POS holster.  (Waiting to catch flak for that one, but I don't care.  Im not impressed by their holsters.)

I recommend a Sparks Versa Max II.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

+1 try moving the cant up a knoch and at 4:00 it might fell good there or even a little closer to the hip just passed 3:00
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#5]
MILT SPARKS Summer Special at 4 o'clock.

Get a SOLID belt.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ditch that POS holster.  (Waiting to catch flak for that one, but I don't care.  Im not impressed by their holsters.)

Can you explain why the Sparks Versa Max II is going to make carrying my gun better for me?  I don't have a problem investing in good equipment, but before I shell out a bunch of cash for a new holster....it would be nice to know what I'm going to gain from it.

To be honest, the Versa Max II doesn't look much different from my MTAC...except it's all leather, instead of the "hydbrid" type like the MTAC.

Link Posted: 12/17/2008 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
MILT SPARKS Summer Special at 4 o'clock.

Get a SOLID belt.

This is what I'm using now.....it's pretty solid.   1/4" thick, Kydex reinforced.

CTAC Belt

Link Posted: 12/17/2008 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Bah!

You crazy kids and your new fangled contraptions.  

Kramer #3 Horsehide IWB is THE holster of choice for Luddites.

I carry mine between 9 and 10 O'Clock.  (Left eye.  )
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you explain why the Sparks Versa Max II is going to make carrying my gun better for me?  I don't have a problem investing in good equipment, but before I shell out a bunch of cash for a new holster....it would be nice to know what I'm going to gain from it.

To be honest, the Versa Max II doesn't look much different from my MTAC...except it's all leather, instead of the "hydbrid" type like the MTAC.

Sure, you yourself said it has so many adjustments it's driving you nuts.  It also has extra material all over and belt clips that no matter how much they may give you the impression they are secure do NOT lock on a fitted belt like a loop.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bah!

You're entitiled to your opinion.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I seem to bounce back and forth between the 3:00 position, and the 5:00 position....and everywhere in between.  

I just can't seem to get the gun to "hug" tight to my body....it always feels like it's hanging off of me.  

That would be due to using a kydex holster with a leather mounting platform. While the leather hugs and conforms (making it comfortable) that hunk of kydex is HANGING out there.

A Milt Spaks VM II in horsehide is stiff enough to maintain it's shap yet supple enough in design to hug your body. You'll NEVER feel as if your gun is HANGING out there with the VMII.

Oh.............. I wear mine at 3 O'clock.

Good info....that makes perfect sense.  I'll have to think about getting one.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bah!

You're entitiled to your opinion.

If I ever break down and buy a CZ 85b, I'll probably give the VM dos a try.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2008 4:52:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Listen to Lumpy and SGB.

4:00 Maybe 4:15.
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 5:23:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I wear suspenders and belt.  3 o'clock
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 6:02:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

While I like Comp-Tac's paddle holsters a lot I've got to agree with you on the M-Tac.

I bought one for my BHP and quite frankly the money would have been better spent on a nice steak dinner.

Smart money says VMII.

ETA - Between 3 & 4 for me.

Link Posted: 12/18/2008 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Milt Sparks VM2 @ 4:00
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 7:17:26 AM EDT
[#18]
4:00 in a basic Galco IWB
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I carry just slightly behind the hip.  I position the gun so the rear sight is directly in line with the side seam of my pants.

I've got two VMIIs, and use neither anymore.  I've found the hybrid holsters, I use a Crossbreed Supertuck, are more comfortable, more concealable and hold the gun at least as stable, cost much less, the gun is more easily reholstered and the tension is easier to adjust to the level of your liking.  Personally, I've been carrying long enough that I have no problems adjusting a holster with cant and height settings, I know exactly where and how I like it.  Also, you can get one in a few weeks, instead of 18 months.

But a holster is a very personal thing, just because something works best for me doesn't mean it's for everyone.  The VMII is a damn nice holster, far better made and far better looking than something like the Crossbreed, it just doesn't work as well for me.

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 5:11:04 AM EDT
[#21]
I used to carry a Kimber. I eventually migrated from a VM II to a CTAC. Although the VM II is the absolute most comfortable and quality holster I’ve ever used, its average for retention, incredibly slow for presentation, and absolutely useless for adjustment (e.g., fore and aft rake angle). Based on your physique, it will dictate to you what position is best. I tried like hell to wear it at 3:00 and it insisted on shifting to 3:30+ as I went about my day. Once it found where it wanted to ride, it stayed. Unfortunately, it wasn’t my choice. Additionally, its forward rake angle didn’t really match my draw stroke ergonomics. With all that being said, it does ride very tight to the body, however the compromises were not worth it to me.

For my build, the CTAC has about 90% of the comfort of a VM II. I tuned it perfectly for the level of retention and forward rake I want. It rides exactly at 3:00 without shifting (no matter how many times a day I climb in and out of my truck), and draws like greased lightening. Another + for an all Kydex scabbard is that it doesn’t retain sweat. My VM II would never completely dry out during the summer. The sweat soaked leather was hell on my Kimber..

I have since moved to carrying a G23 (I know, I know… there goes my credibility) and have stayed with a CTAC. Great combination.

Both are great holsters. Both have their attributes, however, each comes with compromises.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 5:24:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I can carry my 5" Kimber Warrior in total comfort in a horsehide Sparks VMII.  The secret is to use a good belt made to support the weight of a pistol and to size the waistband of your pants up one size to allow for the extra girth of the pistol and holster.  I wear mine just behind the hip at about 3:30.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm totin' a Colt Lightweight Commander in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II, at approx. 4:00. Carried on a Beltman 1-1/2" belt.
I plan on using a Sparks VM II this summer, for the tuckable feature.
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Strong side(right) @ 4:00

Link Posted: 12/21/2008 9:09:24 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree with those who prefer the VMII. I did  modify all three of mine to reduce the cant. I prefer a more straight drop.
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#26]
My 1911 rides at about 3 o'clock.  I carry all day everyday and sometimes forget its there.

Link Posted: 12/22/2008 1:03:40 AM EDT
[#27]
I use the Safariland model 27 IWB holster with a rigger belt. I have no problem carrying a fullsize 1911.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 2:46:09 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a S&W 1911SC 4.5” with a Sparks 0.5” belt worn between 3:30 and 3:45 depending on the holster and the loops on what I am wearing. In the summer on the range I’ll just use an Uncle Mikes OWB, out on town I use a C-Tac since my VMII would draw in sweat and start eating away at my slide.

I did change out the front clip on the C-Tac for one of the clips that came with another holster and the extra plastic on the clips can be cut off once you find the best fit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 3:02:41 AM EDT
[#29]
UBG striker, by Nate.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#30]
3.5" 1911 in a MTAC at 3:30 - 4:00
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I carry an STI Ranger II (4.15" barrel) in a Hoffners IWB Hybrid holster. I have been working at getting it dialed in and I think I finally got it yesterday. Mine rides somewhat low and I have it canted pretty far forward. it seems that the 3 o clock is about right for me. I am only 5'4" and weigh 165 lbs. it took me a while to get it just right. I think the Kydex is going to be better for me in the south east Texas summers when i carry my 1911 IWB. However, I am looking to get a Glock 26 for summers.

The holster is close to this one:

http://www.hoffners.com/hy5.jpg
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This ^
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This.  I carry a full size.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top