Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2013 9:47:33 AM EDT
I think I'm going to be carrying my M9 concealed for the winter months.  I was doing around the house yesterday and I think I figured out how to do it.  Plus, it was actually very comfortable.    Even though it's so big.

The one thing I'd like to learn is how some of you rack your slides for malfunction clearances.  Or manipulation of the safety decocker in general.  

I'll be honest, after handling lots of other weapons. I find I shoot the M9 very well and I love how it fits my hands and blah blah blah, but I DO see why people say they HATE slide mounted controls.  I have engaged it at times racking the slide.  I think more so when sling shotting.  And disengaging with my right thumb is kind of a weird thing.  I don't know if it's the shape of my hands or what, but it's a very awkward thing.  If I do it with my right hand, I have to use the first knuckle of the thumb.  Bent thumb push up and forward.  

It got me to thinking that I wonder if anyone typically uses their left hand to swipe the safety up after racking.  Or double check.  I would think if your left hand is up there overhanding, it doesn't take a heck of a lot longer to make sure the safety is up with the left hand.  

Or, what do you guys do?  Even when drawing it's kind of an issue.  I know I like the idea of just decocking and keeping the safety off.  I feel it is completely safe.  However, I think it's possible for the safety to engage, and if you don't train to swipe it off regardless, it might surprise you.  I had this happen to me once when I was practicing carrying concealed.  

So.........  what techniques do you guys employ?  

I have to say this again though, last night I was making supper and carrying my M9 and there were a few times it didn't even feel like it was there.  I don't know if it was just wishful thinking or what.  But there's no sharp corners and all that.  It might be fat, but it's smooth.  LOL.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm right handed, with big enough hands I've never had an issue manipulating the safety/decocker with my right thimb.  That said...

To rack the slide whether it's loading, an immediate action dril, whatever, I rotate the pistol on it's bore axis slightly inboard and slingshot the slide.  This keeps you from accidently putting it on safe as you would if you overhand the slide.  The key is not overhanding the slide, grasp it  between your thumb and forefinger only.  This was the preferred method to mitigate that problem when transitioning folks who were accustomed to SIGs or Glocks to the Beretta on a job I worked overseas several years ago.  Failure rate was minimal, especially with proper practice.  

Keeping it decocked and off safe ("lever down, lever up, reholster" was our mantra) is great in theory, but only if you use a holster that covers the safety/decocker, because in practice my observation has been the it wll be swiped on, off, and not where you left it, by clothing, gear, seat belts, etc.  As a result, I just got  in the habit of flipping the safety off as part of my draw stroke just like I would with a 1911.  

Again, I never had a problem using my thumb to do this.  BUT, others did, and we taught them to use their left hand thumb to manipulate the safety/decocker once a firing grip was established as opposed to a single handed grip and manpulating the safety/decocker like it's a switch on a dashboard.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm right handed, with big enough hands I've never had an issue manipulating the safety/decocker with my right thimb.  That said...

To rack the slide whether it's loading, an immediate action dril, whatever, I rotate the pistol on it's bore axis slightly inboard and slingshot the slide.  This keeps you from accidently putting it on safe as you would if you overhand the slide.  The key is not overhanding the slide, grasp it  between your thumb and forefinger only.  This was the preferred method to mitigate that problem when transitioning folks who were accustomed to SIGs or Glocks to the Beretta on a job I worked overseas several years ago.  Failure rate was minimal, especially with proper practice. I'm assuming you mean that the thumb and forefinger grab the slide behind the the safety decocker, eh?  Because if not, I don't see how slingshotting would be any different than overhanding while manipulating.  The problem is, that the mechanism is right where you don't really want it to be. LOL.  ETA: no, there isn't enough room behind the decocker.  I guess you're saying using less fingers, you're less likely to engage it.  Hmmm......

Keeping it decocked and off safe ("lever down, lever up, reholster" was our mantra) is great in theory, but only if you use a holster that covers the safety/decocker, because in practice my observation has been the it wll be swiped on, off, and not where you left it, by clothing, gear, seat belts, etc.  As a result, I just got  in the habit of flipping the safety off as part of my draw stroke just like I would with a 1911.  Yeah, that's what I've experienced also. And that was not even carrying that much.

Again, I never had a problem using my thumb to do this.  BUT, others did, and we taught them to use their left hand thumb to manipulate the safety/decocker once a firing grip was established as opposed to a single handed grip and manpulating the safety/decocker like it's a switch on a dashboard.
View Quote

Thanks a lot for you post!!  It really is spot on with what I'm trying to figure out.  I'll have a go with some of these practices and see how it works.  I'm glad I'm not the only one with these thoughts.  But I think with practice I'll be comfortable with it.  

One thing that I've done before but probably shouldn't is I've grabbed the slide at the front in an overhand manipulation.   But I don't think this is the best way to deal with this because it easy for your palm to actually be a bit over the muzzle, if the pistol is all the way or I would imagine nearly all the way in battery..  But it keeps your hand well away from the decocker.  I'm figuring this is probably an unsafe way to do it, or is it a viable practice?
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#3]
And that's why I prefer the PT92AF. Doesn't have a decocker (mine is older), but I really dislike the slide mounted safety.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 11:57:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm assuming you mean that the thumb and forefinger grab the slide behind the the safety decocker, eh?  Because if not, I don't see how slingshotting would be any different than overhanding while manipulating.  The problem is, that the mechanism is right where you don't really want it to be. LOL.  ETA: no, there isn't enough room behind the decocker.  I guess you're saying using less fingers, you're less likely to engage it.  Hmmm......

Thanks a lot for you post!!  It really is spot on with what I'm trying to figure out.  I'll have a go with some of these practices and see how it works.  I'm glad I'm not the only one with these thoughts.  But I think with practice I'll be comfortable with it.  

One thing that I've done before but probably shouldn't is I've grabbed the slide at the front in an overhand manipulation.   But I don't think this is the best way to deal with this because it easy for your palm to actually be a bit over the muzzle, if the pistol is all the way or I would imagine nearly all the way in battery..  But it keeps your hand well away from the decocker.  I'm figuring this is probably an unsafe way to do it, or is it a viable practice?
View Quote

Nope, grasp it forward of the safety/decocker, the angle and slingshotting it straight to the rear prevents the lever from rotating onto safe.  Again, rotating the pistol inboard along it's bore axis is part of the equation as well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#5]
This is one of the benefits of the G model Beretta's. At worst,  you'll decock the weapon when manipulating the slide.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is one of the benefits of the G model Beretta's. At worst,  you'll decock the weapon when manipulating the slide.
View Quote

Yes, but I don't own one of those.  But you're right.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I've wanted a 92G for a long time for the same reason, and picked up a spare slide for my 92FS that I'm going to send to Alleghany Gun Works next time I'm home and have him do the G conversion on it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't really see a reason for it not to be a G model.  They should all just be that way.  I guess the standard decocker/safety might be "safer" in some people's eyes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#9]
A manual safety was a requirement for the M9 selection I'm sure.

But, I agree, a decocked double action works fine for me.  USAF Security Police used to carry the M9 decocked but off safe in the old Bianchi military flap holsters.  Don't know if that's still SOP or not, or if it changed with whatever holster they issue as duty gear now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 8:22:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I carry an M9 daily, as my ccw weapon.  I carry it with a round in the chamber, decocked with the safety off.  With the d spring upgrade and elite hammer, the DA trigger is quite nice.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I carry an M9 daily, as my ccw weapon.  I carry it with a round in the chamber, decocked with the safety off.  With the d spring upgrade and elite hammer, the DA trigger is quite nice.
View Quote

What kind of holster do you carry it in?  How do you perform malfunction clearance drills and do you ever accidentally engage the safety?  Just curious.  I think it only happened to me once, but it was enough to get me thinking about it.  Plus I don't do alot of malf clearance drills.  I should do more.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I did it again at the range the other day.  Overhanded and the safety was engaged.  It's the one aspect I don't like about the pistol.  However, it was a joy to shoot and very accurate as always.  

Ooops, I forgot to try Chase's idea.  I find overhand to be much more natural for me.  I'm not adverse to using the slide stop when loading.  But I was charging the slide with a mag in the gun already.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Overhand only feels natural b/c that's the learned behaviour you've developed from time spent doing it.  It's also what we all do when we administratively clear a weapon to catch the chambered cartrdige.  Until you force yourself to use the other method enough (and I'd recommend doing it with your other pistols in addition to the Beretta if you do intend to carry the Beretta), you'll continue to naturally revert to the overhand.  Do the slingshot enough, consistently, and it'll become your natural default though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:02:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What kind of holster do you carry it in?  How do you perform malfunction clearance drills and do you ever accidentally engage the safety?  Just curious.  I think it only happened to me once, but it was enough to get me thinking about it.  Plus I don't do alot of malf clearance drills.  I should do more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am currently using a desantis thumb break holster, owb.  I cant it and wear it at about 4 o clock.  It is very comfortable to me.

I have never once accidentally engaged the safety.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I am currently using a desantis thumb break holster, owb.  I cant it and wear it at about 4 o clock.  It is very comfortable to me.

View Quote

Like this one?  Lots of protection covering the safety.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 2:57:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I carry my 92A1 OWB in the winter. I use a leather Desantis holster.

Stop racking the slide overhand and train yourself to do it the correct way. Racking the slide over hand puts your hand unnecessarily closer to the muzzle (especially on smaller pistols), makes it harder to view the chamber, risk getting your palm bitten by the slide and can lead to problems with slide mounted safeties. I don't understand why anyone uses it. I've never had any issues with my 92, 90-two or any military M9's safety.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:09:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the one that I use, only in tan.

I did take the tension screw out though.  Don't need it with the thumb break.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#18]
It's funny.  Some people teach overhand others teach slingshot.  And everybody is right.    LOL.  

In this case, obviously the overhand is part of the problem.  I'm not sure slingshotting will help.  But I'll give it a try.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I only had my m9 for a few months now but I grip the top of the safety and pull it back with my index and thumb. I tell myself its harder to switch to safety cause im basically grabbing the pin that goes through the slide. if that makes any sense to you guys.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Beretta sells an iwb kydex holster for the 92 series.  I have one for my 92 a1 and can ccw under a t shirt.  I like it. A lot
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#21]
as much as i love my m9's, i cc a shield or 642
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top