Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2005 5:24:14 PM EDT
I purchased a handgun off the Equipment Exchange and the seller threw in a holster.  It's a Fobus GL 26 paddle holster and man, it holds the gun tight.  Too tight.  There's no way the gun will come out of the holster without using another hand to hold the holster down.  I know other holsters have adjustable tension, but this one does not appear to be adjustable.  Anyone have any experience with this or similar models?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#1]
throw it out.  Get a real holster.  You don't want to trust your life to a fobus
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#2]
or keep it for range use. Definately get a real holster
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1. Its sole beneficial use is for range use.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#4]
All of the Fobus holsters I've seen don't hold the gun tight enough.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:07:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Noted, but after you buy a good holster for carry purposes, why would you consider using your fobus at the range?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:57:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Noted, but after you buy a good holster for carry purposes, why would you consider using your fobus at the range?

why wear out the good one
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:12:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I like Fobus holsters.  If its too tight, make sure you are pulling out exactly straight up from the the bore axis.  If you pull  at any angle except 90 degrees, it will stick.  That is how the "retention" system works.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#10]
A good tug should get it out for ya. Better too tight than too loose as some of em I've seen.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:59:16 PM EDT
[#12]
im just gonna throw my opinion of FOBUS out there for everyone. Theyre TRASH! i cant stand the damned things! i have bought em but i wont make that mistake again. Buy safariland or Uncle Mikes or Side Armour or a good quality leather rig. There are a couple dozen companies out there that are ten times better than FOBUS.

hahahaha, ok, i think i got my point accross.

My .02
AA

p.s. hope i didnt offend anyone, thats all just based on my experience with my fobus holster

edit: oh, and i am not one to trash something without offering better replacements. If you would like i would happily make a list of good alternatives that i would vouch for. Let me know
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#13]
comp-tac, bladetech are also good.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Fobus Holsters are good for range use only
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Fobus holsters are fine.  Like any brand, some don't like them.  But overall they are quite comparable with many holsters, including those that are far more expensive.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow  

I was probably going to get a fobus this weekend.    

...maybe not.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Wow  

I was probably going to get a fobus this weekend.    

...maybe not.

Lucky you.  Didn't have to learn the hard way not to cheap out on gear.  Now maybe you won't have as many retired holsters sitting in a bin in your closet as the rest of us.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I've used one on my 26 for years (paddle). No problem EXCEPT I've had to trim it where the mag release button comes in contact with the holster. I've only broke one, sitting down on a couch and the holster got caught on the arm and I'm 220# (the holster lost).
Pistol has never come out of it when dropped, running, ect. I've never had to use two hands to draw.
YOU DO NEED A "SHARP" DRAW, it is tight like it should be.
You can spend more, and I'm sure get a better holster, but I'm satisfied.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I've only broke one, sitting down on a couch and the holster got caught on the arm and I'm 220# (the holster lost).

I had a 300lb cop trying to wrestle a blue gun out of a g-code paddle holster (which i consider mid-grade) and it did not break.  The problem was the entire holster cam out of the pants on occasion.  I learned my lesson about paddle holsters and went on.  the g-code is now in that afforementioned bin.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#21]
My Glock 27 is on my hip right now in a Fobus holster.  Nothing wrong with it.  It does require a good tug to get the gun out though.  When I find a paddle holster that goes on and stays on, but comes off easy I will buy it.  Other paddle holsters I've tried, I had to undo my pants to get them off or fight them to get them off.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#22]
the fobus holsters on me anyway don't conceal worth a damn.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I swore at Fobus just because I have a thing against platic. A good leather holster is what I love.

However, I bought on for my 220ST on a dare, and tried it just to prove my range partner wrong. Now, I wear it most of the time. It's light and unobtrusive. It helds even my heavy steel-framed Sig securely, even when I run or jump.

I'm not trying to convert anyone, and I don't think it's the end-all-be-all, but don't discount it completely.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I carrry my 19 in a Fobus paddle all the time and i love it, draws easy and conceals great. My .02 cents
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Every holster has a balance between too tight and too loose.  Fobus holsters are not adjustible so it depends on the individual holster and gun you have.  I have a fobus paddle and like it.  I am used to triple-retention Safariland holsters so in comparison the Fobus draws smooth.  Remember, it's not the gear that's important, it's your skill.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:49:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:21:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I purchased a handgun off the Equipment Exchange and the seller threw in a holster.  It's a Fobus GL 26 paddle holster and man, it holds the gun tight.  Too tight.  There's no way the gun will come out of the holster without using another hand to hold the holster down.  I know other holsters have adjustable tension, but this one does not appear to be adjustable.  Anyone have any experience with this or similar models?

I had the same problem with a fobus holster for my P14.45.  Mine would sometimes work okay and sometimes i'd give myself a wedgie trying to draw from it.  I won't even use it for range use anymore.  If you want a cheap kydex that works try the uncle mikes line, if you want a good kydex get a bladetech or a F.I.S.T.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:23:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I like Fobus holsters.  If its too tight, make sure you are pulling out exactly straight up from the the bore axis.  If you pull  at any angle except 90 degrees, it will stick.  That is how the "retention" system works.

Yeah that might work well if your sure that you will be upright and able to execute a perfect drawstroke when you need to.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:48:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Get a Blackhawk CQC, there about twice the of a fobus, and about 20 times better.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:57:53 AM EDT
[#30]
pre-dbl tap  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah that might work well if your sure that you will be upright and able to execute a perfect drawstroke when you need to.

+1

A valid point that requires consideration before purchase!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

A valid point that requires consideration before purchase!

Something i've brought up with cops who carry a retention holster that requires them to rock the gun back to draw.  What if you're on your back?  Lot of guys switched to the Safariland 6280 after that revelation.  Of course, those are some serious retention holsters.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:28:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:45:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I think the Fobus Paddles are the best thing yet for my situation. Alway carry, not alway legal, I like the paddle because the entire holster/gun combo can be taken off and disposed of without removing the jacket or belt when needed.

I think they would not be good in a LE role where one has to wrestle with a perp and keep the gun holstered, but in my non LE roll I do not intend to get close enough to be wrestling for a gun.

I think it is just as likely that we may have to fight from in close as well since we are typically operating from a reactive posture, i mean we never intend to allow the BG to close in but typically the situation would be just that unless we are justified in shooting someone from across the street.

I do agree with the paddle concept especially for us CCW holders as it allows us to remove our weapon when we must, i just don't think that the FOBUS is the right holster.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
A good tug should get it out for ya.

Yep.  Fobus holster have a different draw stroke than you are used to.  With a Fobus you use an abrupt yank to break freee from the internal retention.

People dislike fobus holsters mostly becuase they are inexpensive.  I have a rubbermade bin full of holsters from Kramer, Mitch rosen, Blade-tech, Bianchi, Uncle Mikes, Side-Armor, Safariland, Blackhawk, ect.

I also have four Fobus holsters; Glock 23, Glock 26, Glock 21 & 1911.  The Fobus paddle holster for the Glock 26 is great. Best part is you can pick them up on sale for $7.95 pretty regularly from Keislers, Botach, CTD.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've only broke one, sitting down on a couch and the holster got caught on the arm and I'm 220# (the holster lost).

I had a 300lb cop trying to wrestle a blue gun out of a g-code paddle holster (which i consider mid-grade) and it did not break.  The problem was the entire holster cam out of the pants on occasion.  I learned my lesson about paddle holsters and went on.  the g-code is now in that afforementioned bin.

That's a tough test of any holster.  It's also something I'm not at all concerned about for off duty or CCW use. Nobody will know the gun/holster are there until about 3/10's of a second before they have 3 new body openings.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:50:02 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Get a Blackhawk CQC, there about twice the of a fobus, and about 20 times better.

I bought a Blackhawk CQC with the Serpa retintion system to replace my Fobus Safety Holster that I've been using for about 2 years yo carry my G-17/26.

I LOVE my Fobus. Don't care for the Blackhawk at all I wish Fobus still made the Safety Holster.

Anyone know of another holster maker that manufactures a holster with the same type of active retention system as the Blackhawk Serpa or the Fobus Safety Holster?

echo6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top