Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/1/2006 2:18:27 PM EDT
I picked up my first pistol (P2000) the other day and have been to the range twice. Needless to say I stunk, badly. I have shot pistols in the past but never at a target to know how bad I really am. I am a decent shot w/ my rifles and shotgun but terrible on the handgun. Training is inevidable but it won't be for a while. In the mean time can anyone point me to some good info and drills that will help me improve? I picked up snap caps today, and will be dry firing alot, but would like to be practicing correctly.

My local range has a indoor 50ft range open 3 days a week. I did OK, considering, indoors. It also has an outdoor range open 8a-8p 7 days a week but the outdoor range is 25 and 50 yards, nothing shorter. Out of about 40 shots, I hit the target 4 times at 25 yards.

Please help.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:19:18 PM EDT
Start at 7 yards and move back as you get proficient ...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:37:43 PM EDT
That's what I wanted to do, but I'm limited to 50ft or 25 yards. I guess I could go to the next range but this one is 5 min. away the other is 35 min. away.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:26:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By COLT6721A3:

+1

close in, work your way back--thats how i started to improve...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:09:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By COLT6721A3:

+2

And read this, it is a decent primer on pistol marksmanship. http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

Maybe find a range with shorter distances? Best to start off on the right foot so that you don't develop bad habits.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:14:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dreemweaver:
I picked up my first pistol (P2000) the other day and have been to the range twice. Needless to say I stunk, badly. I have shot pistols in the past but never at a target to know how bad I really am. I am a decent shot w/ my rifles and shotgun but terrible on the handgun. Training is inevidable but it won't be for a while. In the mean time can anyone point me to some good info and drills that will help me improve? I picked up snap caps today, and will be dry firing alot, but would like to be practicing correctly.

My local range has a indoor 50ft range open 3 days a week. I did OK, considering, indoors. It also has an outdoor range open 8a-8p 7 days a week but the outdoor range is 25 and 50 yards, nothing shorter. Out of about 40 shots, I hit the target 4 times at 25 yards.

Please help.

Thanks

How big of a target were you using at 25? I woudl say use a bigger target.

If you have real size silhouettes, you should be able to at least put them into there. A smaller target at 25 is definitely hard when you haven't shot that much. But like they said. Start close then back up. Make sure your pistol is shooting where it's supposed to, basically get it zero'd at closer range. Then you can back up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:23:30 PM EDT
Start shooting off the bench to elliminate some of the variables. When you can hit off the bench then try standing.

Kent
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:44:34 PM EDT
Find another range if you can.
Top Top