Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 5/11/2002 11:02:52 AM EDT
I spent a few hours at the range this morning firing the HK USP 9, Sig Pro (9mm), and a 9mm Glock, and found that I liked the HK the best, but I still wanted to try a Baretta 92 and a 1911 type handgun.  Any other suggestions for handguns to try, or do y'all think I have things covered?
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you pretty much sold on the 9mm?

I've got a Kimber 1911 and an HK USP Tactical, so you've already got my choices sort of covered. Have you seen or considered the Walther P99? That's a very nice platform in 9mm, if that's the way you want to go.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Have to agree with Jarhead. The Walther is nice too. Beretta's are very nice shooting as well. My only two problems with them are that they are a bit slower cycling than what I am used to, and the way my trigger finger is shaped, the trigger bar on Beretta's eat it alive. The new Vertec is definitely cool.

I'll give my usual response here. As much as I like H&K's and Sigs, I always say, get whichever gun you can shoot the best and feel the most comfortable with. It should feel like it belongs in your hand.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input folks.  I think it's love at first shot with the HK, but I'll be trying out some more guns next weekend just in case.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I had some spare time this afternoon and shot a box of ammo on the USP40, and I suppose I've changed my mind on buying a 9mm.  Difference in recoil is pretty small, and for some reason I feel a little better with the larger round.  I'll try the 1911 out this weekend, since all the local firers have only good things to say about it, but the USP is still my first choice, with the Sig Pro being a close second.  I'm glad I'm not married or it'd take some explaining for the money I'm spending this week .
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 1:21:40 AM EDT
[#5]
IMHO, although you've got the "best" covered, might you want to try a Browning High Power or a CZ-75?  Jarhead, is the weakness of the P99 trigger overcome by some more attractive features?  Convince me, because the looks of the pistol sure are "cool".
As always, it comes down to why you are buying your first handgun.  Although it sounds weak, a .22 may not be an unreasonable choice.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top