Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2005 9:29:40 AM EDT
Well, I took out the new P99 Sunday and put 50 rnds through it, just to try it our. Very informal, no actual paper targets set up...just shooting at cinder block chunks and a large gong.

Shot at about 30 yards...accurate and nice as hell. I was shooting consistently low, so will have to get out with paper and try it, and swap front sight inserts. However once I got the holdover, I was deadly accurate, and on the large gong (about 2ft wide or so...) 100% hits when aiming center of mass.

Trigger was very nice, I liked it. Pull seemed fairly light and short in single action mode. I liked the "set" trigger feel in DA (first shot). Felt excellent in the hand, very ergonomic for me. I like it even better than my USP (gasp!)

One question however, when cleaning it I noticed the recoil spring guide rod is a polymer material. I also noticed that when replacing it in the slide, it actually bends the tension...is this normal? Does it pose any problems? Anyone have the sucker snap? Just something I never saw before, and was wondering if it is a concern.....
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#1]
It's normal and it's not a problem. The only time the rod is under any kind of load at all is when it's out of the gun. The spring tension against the slide keeps it from putting load on the rod. In fact even with the slide all the way forward, you can wiggle the end of the guide rod easily. They make an aftermarket one in stainless but it's highly recomended to not mess with it. The recoil system is the heart and soul of a semi-auto pistol. BTW, after the first 300 rounds you'll be amazed at how much smoother the gun is.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It's normal and it's not a problem.

+1

I wouldn't swap front sight blades until I had tried different ammo brands & weights. 115gr will usually hit higher than 124gr in my experience.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought the polymer rod sucked also so I got a sprinco stainless "recoil reducer".I think they made them with +p in mind, I now keep the poly one in the box. it does stay arched when its in the gun, it only has one contact point on the bottom of the barrel and the frame does not come close enough to straighten it out. that and the "smith and wesson " roll marks are the only things I dont like.Its a nice pistol but not better than my USP45f
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:13:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I BTW, after the first 300 rounds you'll be amazed at how much smoother the gun is.

+1. After 500 rounds, my trigger was damn near perfect.  That was about 3,000 rounds ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top