Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/21/2005 12:56:37 PM EDT

I'm probably going to have one of my 1911's refinished...and I've been trying to decide if it should get Duracoated (Which I can have a local person do) or if I should have it Black-T'd (Which would require me to send it off to Mr. Birdsong).

I know Birdsong's Black-T is pretty much "it" when it comes to nearly impervious non-reactive finishes. How well does Duracoat compare? I know Duracoat has a lot more color flavors...

My Emerson Commander came with a Black-T finish, and while there's a fair bit of wear, it's held up a lot better than I could have ever expected it to, which is one of the reasons I'm seriously considering Black-T...

Any thoughts? Anyone have any experiences, positive and/or negative, with either type of finish?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:17:55 PM EDT
I'm thinking about Black-T for my P220, but I'm not familiar with Duracoat.
Is Duracoat similar to parkerization or blueing?
I had my 1911 redone in Hard Chrome by Tripp Research. Quick turnaround and I'm very happy with it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:46:58 AM EDT
Duracoat by Lauer is from what I'm hearing much like Black-T...if you see the guns Brasspile has done up, he uses Duracoat. Lots of color combinations, etc...all the stuff that comes from DSArms with the funky paint/camo on them? That's all Duracoat...

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:03:09 PM EDT
I duracoated a rossi 877, rem870, and a model 94 winchester. I love this stuff and it is very easy to prep and apply.
They sell alot of colors that you can do to your gun.

Top Top