Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 8:41:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't care for the billboard logo.

It's a little overpriced (but does include the $100 certificate to gunsite).

The ones I looked at (two of them in stainless) were well-executed for a factory gun.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Good kit, but you can do better for the money.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:52:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Says the kid with deep pockets and a taste for custom pistols.

Do a search for the pistol on www.1911forum.com for the Colt Gunsite pistol. You will find a lot of threads on it.

I chose a Springfield TRP over the Gunsite largely because it came with more features I wanted. That, and I found a very gently used TRP on the EE for a great price. I spoke with Giles Stock about the Gunsite pistol ~2 summers ago at a training class. Largely, nightsites and ambi safety were dropped to keep the price down. He is a Colt guy and likes the pistol very much.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I just bought a used one. I was well under the normal price for these guns. The only thing I dislike about the gun was one issue of sloppy quality control. The thumb safety when in the on position has a gap under the bottom edge. Either the frame hole is too big or the safety was dehorned too much, maybe a combination of maximum tolerances. Either way, if I had paid $1300 for a gun I'd be muy pissed. A blind man can see it, probably 1/8" gap. The gun shoots well and feeds everything. May send it back, may not, haven't decided yet though it does bother me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Says the kid with deep pockets and a taste for custom pistols.

The fact of the matter is I can buy a better pistol for $1400. I've shot them before, and they were nice. If Colt could sell them for more like $1,000 they would be a lot more appealing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Is the Gunsite all forged, or does it have some MIM parts?

Local store has one...

I'd expect for the price they're asking that it's all forged, but it can't hurt to ask
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Colt uses the LEAST Mim of any and they've not had the problems with thier MIM that others have had.

Sear
Disconnector
Plunger tube
Mag Catch

While it's true none of the 1911's that I've owned with MIM ever gave me problems, but I would still expect to find none in a $1,000 pistol named after Gunsite. The Colt just seems more than a little over priced to me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Colt Gunsite CCO (the one you are talking about)
It is a very nice gun, minus the trigger!
The trigger has lots of creep and is not very smooth at all!
Also, the front sight is just black...  No markings at all!

I am swapping out the trigger and sights then I will be much happier.

This is supposed to be build as a carry pistol and I think they would pay a little more attention to the sights and trigger.

If it is gettind dark out or you are aiming at something black thats in a dark area good luck finding the front sight.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While it's true none of the 1911's that I've owned with MIM ever gave me problems, but I would still expect to find none in a $1,000 pistol named after Gunsite. The Colt just seems more than a little over priced to me.

$1000 aint what she used to be I remember $29000 homes and $2600 cars NEW

Ain't that the truth.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#14]
OK, you're talking about the Gunsite CCO (Concealed Carry Officer's).

Commander slide on an alloy officer's frame.

Probably the perfect 1911 CCW gun.

I was impressed with the one I looked at.  Get it.

Some more info:
I am looking at it as a trade in (it is new) from a local FFL friend of mine. He needs some AR parts and wants to swap me. I would be into the sidearm for about $1050ish? (give or take a $100)

Just found out it is the blue 4.25" model with the alloy frame (anodized)
Might be a nice CCW piece . . . if we ever get it here in WI?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:28:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Colt uses the LEAST Mim of any and they've not had the problems with thier MIM that others have had.

Sear
Disconnector
Plunger tube
Mag Catch

Mag catch and plunger tube I could see...I mean, well, they're basically no-wear parts.

But the sear and disconnector? Bleh...

Though, well, it could be worse...could have MIM firing pin, pin stop, safety, etc..

Hrm, this bears investigation.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:19:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm almost certain the Gunsite pistol uses a non-MIM sear.  There are some parts differences between the GSP and the rest of the Colt line.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Page 18 of this thread shows a Colt Gunsite CCO

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=18559&page=18

In the full-size GSP, the sear is a MIM McCormick sear.  

I prefer forged parts, but I've worked on 4 Kimber sears (recut primary angle, cut secondary and polished both), and I've never had any problems with them.

Last year I broke a forged sear.  The upper 1/3 of it separated from the rest.  Not sure why.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Page 18 of this thread shows a Colt Gunsite CCO

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=18559&page=18

In the full-size GSP, the sear is a MIM McCormick sear.  

I prefer forged parts, but I've worked on 4 Kimber sears (recut primary angle, cut secondary and polished both), and I've never had any problems with them.

Last year I broke a forged sear.  The upper 1/3 of it separated from the rest.  Not sure why.

I stand corrected.  I wasn't aware the CMC sear was MIM.  That kinda settles one thing for me.  I had a CMC thumb safety that snapped before it was even installed.  I'm done with CMC parts for good.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I handled one of the first Gunsite CCOs to be delivered to Paulden. Very nice little pistol. While the fitting on it may not be the of same quality as on a custom gun, where else are you going to get a decent aluminum frame?Colt is the only one making one, limited runs of Caspians for YoBo and IIRC Tim Brian excepted.

Hell, for $1050 I would buy it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Keep it and hope that the CCW legislation passes

Or sell it to me at a loss
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top