Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/9/2005 7:34:37 AM EDT
What's your favorite finish for a 1911 in the following categories?

1) Appearance

2) Longevity/Wear resistance

3) Rust resistance

4) Overall
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:03:39 AM EDT
1) Appearance: Master Blue (high polish)

2) Longevity/Wear resistance: Hard Chrome

3) Rust resistance: Stainless steel, hard chrome, Black-T, Armor-Tuff (Wilson)

4) Overall: Master blued slide, hard chrome frame with polished flats and matte rounds or flats and rounds both polished.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:28:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DocGun:

4) Overall: Master blued slide, hard chrome frame with polished flats and matte rounds or flats and rounds both polished.

That is the correct answer. Lock the topic.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:54:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cliffy109:

That is the correct answer. Lock the topic.

Thank you!

Now if only someone could come up with a Master Blue finish that had the wear and rust resistance of hard chrome.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:10:42 PM EDT
Alright, color me stupid, but what's the story with "master blue"?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:19:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2005 2:20:57 PM EDT by DocGun]
I live about a 10 minute drive from Ford's refinishing. They do custom finishing/refinishing for Magnum Research, STI and others as well as individuals. For a Master Blue, Horace the owner will blue the metal then use #555 polish to get it really "shiney". Think of a blued gun polished to almost a mirror-like finish. When it's done by someone that really knows what they're doing it looks absolutely beautiful.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:42:49 PM EDT
For me its hardchrome period. Hardchrome it and forget about it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:53:33 PM EDT

I live about a 10 minute drive from Ford's refinishing. They do custom finishing/refinishing for Magnum Research, STI and others as well as individuals. For a Master Blue, Horace the owner will blue the metal then use #555 polish to get it really "shiney". Think of a blued gun polished to almost a mirror-like finish. When it's done by someone that really knows what they're doing it looks absolutely beautiful.

Website?
Do they do Black-T?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:55:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By in_burrito:
What's your favorite finish for a 1911 in the following categories?

1) Appearance Hard Chrome

2) Longevity/Wear resistance Just got it done, jury's not in yet
3) Rust resistance See above

4) Overall Love it, 'cause it looks cool!

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:40:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RSF45:

Website?
Do they do Black-T?

Link to Ford's

They do black chrome which isn't as wear resistant as Black-T or hard chrome. See their website for other finishes and prices. If you want to go with hard chrome, Virgil Tripp does great work and has a faster turnaround time than Ford's.

Link to Tripp's

The only place that does Black-T is the company owned by the person that invented the finish, Walter Birdsong.

W.E. Birdsong & Associates Inc.
1435 Monterey Rd
Florence, MS 39073

(601) 939-7448
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:08:03 PM EDT
For me, it's blue all the way across the board.

Hard chrome is the second runner-up.

I'm becoming more and more unimpressed with the way paint looks on a 1911.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:03:47 AM EDT
Satin Stainless. So I guess none.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:53:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:01:36 PM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:43:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RSF45:

Website?
Do they do Black-T?

Link to Ford's

They do black chrome which isn't as wear resistant as Black-T or hard chrome. See their website for other finishes and prices. If you want to go with hard chrome, Virgil Tripp does great work and has a faster turnaround time than Ford's.

Link to Tripp's

The only place that does Black-T is the company owned by the person that invented the finish, Walter Birdsong.

W.E. Birdsong & Associates Inc.
1435 Monterey Rd
Florence, MS 39073

(601) 939-7448

Thanks for the info DocGun, always good to have options.
Tripp did some work on my Kimber including Hard Chrome, and they did a fantastic job.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:30:16 AM EDT
Armor Tuff sounds a lot like Moly-Resin, does anyone know if it is or not? I know Norrell supplies MR to manufacturers, so I'm guessing that is what they call Armor Tuff, but not sure.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:25:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:58:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 6:01:08 AM EDT by CitySlicker]
Top Top