Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2002 1:43:14 AM EDT
For me it's a Milt Sparks 55BN, straight drop belt holster in horsehide with a matching single mag pouch and SureFire Pouch, all on a Sparks horsehide belt.  
       miltsparks.com/
The whole rig rides high and comfortable, all day long with a Elite 98 K9.  Compact enough to be covered by a long tailed polo shirt in the spring/summer/fall and a loose sweatshirt in the winter.  How about you?  Any others carrying their Kahr's daily?  How?
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 1:58:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I wish I could tell you how I carry my P9, but I haven't gotten it yet.  I just drained my gun funds this week on a new AK. I swear!  Someday I'll get that Kahr.  The whole summer I wished I had it and now summer is over.  Carrying my USP compact 40 isn't a big deal for me during the winter.  Now I have a few more months to think about the P9 and save up for it  

USPC40

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
SAF Supporter
SAS Supporter

Link Posted: 10/22/2002 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I've carried my Kahr elite98 K9 for three years, mostly in a no-name nylon IWB holster, small of back.  However, as it's getting a bit painful while driving with it sticking in my back, I've switched to a hip cant nylon belt-slide.

However, I've been bitten by the urge for better carry leather, and have seen the high quality work done by High Noon Holsters, and ordered one last week(the Sky High model)....can't wait to get it.  It is lined leather, high-ride, snap closure, adjustable tension.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 3:32:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Agony,

Glad to see you posting about your experiences with you Kahr Elite 98.  Please keep us informed and let us know how the new holster works out.

Let's try and get some interest going over here.....what are the things about the Kahr line that you like? dislike? would improve? would create? and things like that.

Beachboy
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Favorite for my MK9 and K 40:  Alessi Belt speed scabbard; I am a short guy and don't like high ride type holsters - the butt ends up rubbing my lower ribs, I have a deSantis for the MK9 but don't use it much because of this.

Most common way I carry however is in a fanny pack by TommyGuns (or is it TommyPacks)?.  When I hike the MK9 is carried in a Safe Packer.

Link Posted: 10/23/2002 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I will sometimes use a brightly colored fanny pack from Galco to carry mine if it's a casual day, i.e. the beach or sailing.....keeps everything handy and can be slung across one shoulder and does draw much attention
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Beachboy~

I'll give a report once I get the holster....hope it doesn't take too long.  Hopefully I'll also be able to post some pics.

The Kahr K9 is a godsend for CCW.  It's probably one of the most accurate 9mm pistols in my gunsafe (second only to CZ-75 and comparable to my SiG P228).

I've carried daily since I've had the Kahr.  It just feels perfect, points well, and has been 100% reliable.  I lost count on how many rounds have gone down the barrel....at least 3,000~4,000.  Never once have I had a FTF or FTE.  It has swallowed every brand of ammo tried without a hitch.  It shoots my mild reloads well.  Shoots hot reloads better.  Only complaint, of course, is the weight.  However I've been very hesitant about spending $ on the Polymer series, due to the weaning problems that pop up from other forum experiences.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#7]
BTW, I believe my elite98 is one of the first 100 built.

One thing I wish they would put out is a blackened version of this pistol.  Or better yet an aluminum-framed version.  But I'm really not complaining.  :)
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 4:47:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
However I've been very hesitant about spending $ on the Polymer series, due to the weaning problems that pop up from other forum experiences.

I can understand that, as I am one who has had the weaning problems with the P9, specifically the slide stop spring retainer plate popping off before the pistol was even shot.  

However, in Kahr's defense, that part has been re-designed on the more recently produced P9's and shouldn't be a problem.

Beachboy
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#9]
OK, got the High Noon Holster (sky high model) in black cowhide, lined.  The fit is superb.  rides well on my hip, and conceals very easily.  The leather is stiff in the right places.  Beautiful craftsmanship.  After a couple of practice draws, I strapped it on tonight and wore it around tonight.  feels great.  Never had a quality holster for this pistol before (been carrying in nylon for 3+ years), and now kicking myself for waiting so long!  Only reason I even heard of High Noon was from the rave reviews on the SIGforum.com   Their website is worthwhile: www.highnoonholsters.com/

No, I don't work for them  :)
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 10:53:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Let's try and get some interest going over here.....what are the things about the Kahr line that you like? dislike? would improve? would create? and things like that.

Beachboy

I'd love to see them make a proportionatly larger K series in 45acp.  A five or six shot model would sell very well in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 1:21:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beachboy

I'd love to see them make a proportionatly larger K series in 45acp.  A five or six shot model would sell very well in my opinion.

I agree, I'd like to see that also with an added cavet...build it from the design board up around something like the 165 gr or 185 gr +P loads.  Sort like a Seecamps 32 on steroids.  Admittedly, it might be a handful sometimes, it'd be a heck of a self defense/concealment pistol.  Okay folks...what other ideas?????
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 5:54:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I use an Alessi Hard Shell Talon for a Colt Officer, Milt Sparks Mirage for a 1911, FIST Driving Holster, or one of two Mitch Rosen Workman Holsters. One of the Workmans is an Express. Of these I use the Mirage and Alessi holsters the most. Regards, Richard
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I carry my black finish K9 daily in a Comp-Tac IWB Kydex holster.  I also have a Don Hume JIT in mahogany basketweave that my daughter bought me for my birthday a couple of years ago that works well.

I just need to get tritium sights and a couple more extra mags for mine, and I'm good.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I carry my P9 in a Wild Bill's tuckable covert carry IWB.  All his holsters are high quality and gun specific. I also have his belt slide for my CZ 75B.  Great holsters.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 3:39:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I carry my P9 in a Wild Bill's tuckable covert carry IWB.  All his holsters are high quality and gun specific. I also have his belt slide for my CZ 75B.  Great holsters.

Welcome TK to AR15.com and the Kahr forum, hope to see you here often.  WIld Bill does make some nice gear.

Beachboy
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I carried my MK9 in an Uncle Mikes' nylon IWB.
This worked OK under an Old Navy fleece, but it's not really cold enough here to wear one of those very often.
My normal mode of dress is a tucked in shirt.

When I purchased my PM9, I got an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.
I think it is a no. 2.
It is the one that fits a S&W 380.
I think it well work well for pocket carry of the PM9.
Time will tell.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I got a new Fist ultra-thin kydex IWB clip holster for my P9.  I think the model number was K1.  It works well and is comfortable enough if you can avoid pressure points on your hip.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Alessi Talon Plus IWB for my K40 Elite 98.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Kahr Carry- My favorite is the Alessi MOB Talon. Carry (K9) all day long in the middle of my back. Lived at the beach (east coast) and carried with shorts and a tee shirt. Could not be seen at all, and I am a person of small stature.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 1:18:39 AM EDT
[#20]
GIDDS-45,

Welcome to the Kahr forum, hope to see you here and contributing often.

Beachboy
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Alessi Talon Plus IWB for my K40 Elite 98.

Paperwork has been submitted and I will be purchasing my K40 in the next week or two.  I understand the Elite has an improved trigger and a polished slide.  Are there any other features of the Elite that distinguish it from the standard model?  Was it worth the extra cash?
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Paperwork has been submitted and I will be purchasing my K40 in the next week or two.  I understand the Elite has an improved trigger and a polished slide.  Are there any other features of the Elite that distinguish it from the standard model?  Was it worth the extra cash?

Basically the Elite 98 trigger has a shorter travel before it releases the striker. I've also owned K9's with the standard trigger and would have to say that the money would be better spent on night sights or ammo.

Link Posted: 12/13/2002 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I just bought a new Kahr PM9.  So far it works perfectly.  I am carrying it in my front pocket in a Uncle Mike's pocket holster.  When I go with IWB carry I move up to a light weight Commander sized 1911 in 45acp.  The PM9 seems like a great pocket gun.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 5:49:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Basically the Elite 98 trigger has a shorter travel before it releases the striker. I've also owned K9's with the standard trigger and would have to say that the money would be better spent on night sights or ammo.

That confirms what I had been thinking.  I prefer the matte finish on the slide, and the trigger pull on the standard models still seems good for a DAO anyway.  I understand that Kahr sells the Elite trigger assembly separately so if I decide that I want it later I can always retro-fit.

Gun Show is today, so I hope to pick it up this afternoon.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Jeff

Post a report and let us know what you get.

Beachboy
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I picked up a P-40.  All along I had insisted that I wanted the full stainless K-40 but at the moment of truth I changed my mind.  The K-40 seemed to fill my hand a little more than the ones with the more slender polymer frame, but after looking and feeling a few today I decided that it wasn't critical.  The weight difference WAS significant.

The one thing that I wouldn't compromise on was the grip length.  I had people try to sell me the MK or Covert models and I don't like it when my fingers dangle below the grip.  Even with mag extensions it didn't feel like I had enough grip to keep control.

Next step is the CCW class.  I wanted to be familiar with my carry pistol before I took the training.  I'll let you know how the pistol and I get along on the range.

Thanks for the input.

Jeff
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 3:46:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Jeff,
I can fully understand your feelings.  I have an early P9 that seduced me, based upon it's slender grip.  Even as good as my K9s feel, the P9 is just...better feeling.  I too have opted to stay with the P or K series and not the PM or MK as a primary carry gun.  However, I do foresee a PM in the future for ankle carry.
I am glad to hear of your plan to become familiar with your new pistol before taking your ccw class with it.  That will help you through the class and minimize any problems based upon unfamiliar control locations or operation.
Again, post a report and let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The K-40 seemed to fill my hand a little more than the ones with the more slender polymer frame, but after looking and feeling a few today I decided that it wasn't critical.  

Just put a condom (slip grip) on your P40 for a more hand filling grip. I've got a friend with one set up like this and it's great.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#29]
On the Kahr website they offer a rubber grip with an adhesive backing.  I'm not sure how well it would stay on considering the rough checkering on the grip.  If anyone has tried one I would be interested to hear how it works.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top