Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2009 6:16:13 PM EDT
I've been thinking about getting a set of faux ivory grips for my Mil-Spec. As much as I'd like read ivory I just can't justify spending about 1/2 what I paid for the gun on grips. Maybe on my next 1911, but that's a topic for another day.

So here's what I've been looking at.
There's Ajax Grips with two choices: "Ivory Polymer - Classic" and "Ivory Polymer - Aged".
Then there's Bar S Grips with their Tru Ivory. It appears that they have four color options: "Natural White", "Slightly Aged", "Antique Yellow" and "Ultra Antique".

Somewhere I've heard that the various polymer ivory grips will age like real ivory. Having said that, the "Slightly Aged" version from Bar S looks pretty good to me color-wise.

Anyone out there have any experience with these? How do they actually compare in appearance and "feel" to real ivory? Any pros or cons with either company? Anything anyone wants to add would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have Ajax classics on my carry gun.  The "aged" didn't look aged, it just looked yellow.  The grips are fine, I had to accept the fact that I wasn't getting ivory, and wouldn't get the texture and heterogenous coloring of ivory.  One thing...I had mind lasered.  If you plan to do that, make sure you polish out all the scratches first.  Otherwise they'll get inked along with the laser image.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#2]
My real ivory grips were $150 on GB a month or two ago.  They look better and have more grain in them than it appears from the picture.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Spook, if you can remember who the seller was, I'd appreciate knowing so I can check for some.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Spook, if you can remember who the seller was, I'd appreciate knowing so I can check for some.

No problem.. email sent.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#5]
i just saw a set of ivory ones in the gun collection room of my local cabelas they looked to be  original colt ivory grips with a little gold medallion at the top of one  they were nice.... i think 315.00
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Unfortunately, the only grips that feel like ivory are genuine ivory. There's simply no substitute for the real thing.
Elephant "outer-bark" ivory grips pictured-

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, the only grips that feel like ivory are genuine ivory. There's simply no substitute for the real thing.
Elephant "outer-bark" ivory grips pictured-

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc109/Kalash47/COLTSERIES70.jpg

I really like the feel of ivory but mine are too slippery on a working gun so I only put them on from time to time.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to Spook, I did a search on Gunbroker.com and ended up buying a set of genuine ivory grips for under $200.
No pix yet, but I'll try tomorrow.
Anyway, I would describe them as "smooth but not slippery".  They seem to have a slightly tacky feel to them when I grip them firmly.  A week ago I shot 115+ rounds through my SA Mil-Spec while it had the ivory grips on it and had no problem... no slipping or twisting.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a set of Bar-S Tru-Ivory Natural White on my parked SA GI.  Yeah....only ivory looks, smells, feels and tastes like ivory.  But, these are apparently THE best replicas out there.  The colors are true and the grain is pretty amazing.  They are sent in a nice box and velvet bag...and even a certificate of NON-authenticity, just in case you're crossing any borders, I guess.

But seriously, they are beautiful and are light years beyond those plastic looking Ajax things.  Quite a bargain if you're really going for the look, but not necessarily the collectible value.

Oh, and the quality and workmanship is really outstanding as well.  Perfect fit, hand finished and even individually hand serial numbered.  Go for it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top