Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/29/2017 12:30:45 PM EDT
I purchased a YHM Sidewinder to put on an HK USP Tactical .45.  The suppressor is not even close to lining up and the first shot would blow it right off the barrel - it is obviously not lined up, so it has never been fired with the suppressor attached.  

I thought the problem must be the $50 YHM piston, but closer inspection shows the factory threads on the HK are shit.  They are not even close to being concentric to the bore.

HK makes great products (most of the time).  I wish they had an industry page on arfcom.

Pics:

April 12, 2017 UPDATE:  I received an email this afternoon from HK with a tracking number for a new replacement barrel.  The invoice stated "Inspected barrel. Found threads incorrectly timed to barrel. Replaced out of spec. barrel."

I have no complaints about HK customer service now!  I appreciate them making things right!
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you turning it the right (or left?) way?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The threads do look buggered up on one side.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]
What I would call cross threaded.
Hate to say it but that's an operator error.
Was it tight turning it on the threads?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Well the USP .45 Tac has a LH thread.  I was wondering if he has the correct 16x1 thread pitch, but in the RH pattern.  Would be shitty if so.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#5]
It's 16x1LH thread - I have the correct piston for it.  I don't know how it would ever be cross threaded - you'd have to monkey it on there with a pipe wrench.  The threads are much deeper on one side than the other, not equal at all.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's 16x1LH thread - I have the correct piston for it.  I don't know how it would ever be cross threaded - you'd have to monkey it on there with a pipe wrench.  The threads are much deeper on one side than the other, not equal at all.
View Quote
Don't worry, I can see that it's fucked, even if they can't.  "Operator Error" lol, no.  Those threads are fucked.

EDIT: Obviously HK should send you a new barrel, but HK gonna HK (probably).
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#7]
HK hates you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
HK hates you.
View Quote
This!  Think you nailed it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What I would call cross threaded.
Hate to say it but that's an operator error.
Was it tight turning it on the threads?
View Quote
That looks like a classic cross thread to me... Maybe OP did it, maybe he didnt and received it that way.
Either way it is now cross threaded. You can really see it in the last picture.
Look at the ridges of the threads on left side of the last picture. See how they all look like they have 2 ridges.
Something has cut down the the center of the original high point of the thread and caused it to have a valley in the center of the threads ridge.
This is what happens in a cross thread.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:43:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Go ask the guys at HKPro. They somehow manage to get pretty good support it seems....

ETA- bbl does look fucked.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

HK makes great products (most of the time), but their customer service sucks fucking balls.
View Quote

I have heard similar enough times it has to have some truth to it.

Hope you end up getting satisfaction OP
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#12]
How about some more back story as to how you came across this HK Tactical.  New?  Used?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Threads appear to be cross-threaded.  Not saying you did it OP, but that's what it looks like.

You said you had to wrench the adapter on.  You check the threads before you started turning?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Threads appear to be cross-threaded.  Not saying you did it OP, but that's what it looks like.

You said you had to wrench the adapter on.  You check the threads before you started turning?
View Quote
I was saying it would take a monkey wrench to cross thread one that bad.  I have never used a wrench to put anything on a pistol barrel.

If it were cross threaded, wouldn't the other side of the threads be jacked up too?

ETA:  I did start the same thread on HKPro
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That looks like a classic cross thread to me... Maybe OP did it, maybe he didnt and received it that way.
Either way it is now cross threaded. You can really see it in the last picture.
Look at the ridges of the threads on left side of the last picture. See how they all look like they have 2 ridges.
Something has cut down the the center of the original high point of the thread and caused it to have a valley in the center of the threads ridge.
This is what happens in a cross thread.
View Quote
It's a factory fubar when it was originally threaded, no way he could have done that himself, let alone have done it and still have a finish or normal threads on one side.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:17:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone who knows anything about threaded barrels knows that's a factory fuck up, or someone absolutely wrenched something onto the threads, using tools.

And I live in Illinois.  Y'all should be ashamed of yourselves.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:58:06 PM EDT
[#17]
That's unfortunate.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Took a picture of mine, just to make sure since I've never even shot it.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#19]
D-P
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#20]
That looks beautiful!  Rugged Suppressor?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#21]
definitely a crossthread.   I would just buy a new barrel from Jarvis or somebody and then have your factory one cut flush like a normal barrel.  Your barrel threading could be saved but it wont look nice  i.e. not factory, stick out like a sore thumb.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK hates you.
Indeed. I really like HKs, but only have one and won't buy more due to personal experience with them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Love my MP5's and thank goodness I have spare parts for them......
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Did you contact HK Customer service before you posted anything online?  Some companies and custom gunsmiths have a policy that if you post about an issue online before contacting them and givng them a chance to fix it,  they won't help you.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:28:11 AM EDT
[#25]
You guys who are saying he cross-threaded it have no idea what you are talking about. Look at the 2nd and 3rd pics. The threads on one side are twice the size of the threads on the other side. The threads are NOT concentric. Yes have may have buggered them a bit trying to screw the piston, but that's because the threads were so screwed to begin with, there is no way anything could possibly screw on there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I would try and get a die for the 16x1 LH and correct it myself.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:49:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Did you contact HK Customer service before you posted anything online?  Some companies and custom gunsmiths have a policy that if you post about an issue online before contacting them and givng them a chance to fix it,  they won't help you.
View Quote
Which companies are those?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:01:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes please let me know so that if I pay them to do a task, they fuck it up, and I tell people about my experience and get abandoned for it, I can avoid them at all costs.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:03:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No shit....I want to know!
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Although it's been beat to death... yes, those are crossthreaded. The threads were machined correctly and then someone screwed something on incorrectly. They are concentric, just mashed down on one side because of something not being properly aligned when it was screwed on.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Some of you haven't a clue and others need to read before posting.  

I have attempted to contact HK customer service numerous times via PBX and email.  I have received NO RESPONSE.  I wouldn't have posted here if they had contacted me.  Try calling their customer service yourself - they do not answer the phone.  I have left messages and they have not called back even though I requested a call back and left my number each time.  All I wanted was for them to look at the barrel themselves.  

I never cross threaded the barrel.  Let me say that again to be perfectly clear - I know how to thread a piston onto a barrel - if there is any force required at all, something is wrong.  The piston from YHM is the correct size, it threads on easily, it just doesn't line up.  

In order to cross thread this barrel (or any barrel), there would have to be some brute strength involved.  That did not happen.  It appears it was cut wrong at the factory.

IF it was cross threaded AFTER leaving the factory, how would the damaged threads still have the same black finish on all sides and not be shiny from being "cut" and damaged?

The threads were damaged before the barrel was blued or melonited or whatever finish HK uses.

I'm not going to mess with the threads on this barrel or try to fix them - a baffle strike is much more expensive than a replacement barrel.  I would love to speak to HK, but they won't return my calls or emails.  And if you have a list of companies that have a policy of not giving customer service after pictures are posted online, I would love to see it!  I'll add them to the list of companies I won't buy from.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#32]
One more:

Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#33]
A guy in a mud hut in Pakistan could have done a better threading job.

HK massively screwed the pooch here.  That is frankly laughable quality control on HK's part.  Laughably pathetic that is.

OP:  guns like this have the serial # on the frame, slide AND barrel.

HK doesn't owe you a new barrel; they owe you a whole new gun!   If HK wants to pawn-off a "mix-master" parts gun on some unsuspecting stooge - that's their business.  You deserve a matching serial # gun with competently cut threads.

Sad to see HK's quality is currently in the toilet.  Not spending any of my money on garbage like that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#34]
That is a bad factory thread job...  Those threads were cut like that.  Even the shoulder looks wrong.  Hard to tell in the pic.  If that was a cross thread they would not be sharp, they would be rounded off or just messed up looking.  Hopefully HK takes care of this, and I don't know if I would accept a new barrel.  Unless they match the numbers to your gun.  Hk's replacement barrels do not have numbers on them.  I am really curious as to how Hk handles this.  I have been called an HK fan boy by more than one person.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Are you indexing on the muzzle? If so, is your muzzle square and perpendicular to the bore?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Are you indexing on the muzzle? If so, is your muzzle square and perpendicular to the bore?
View Quote
The muzzle appears to be perpendicular to the bore - when the barrel is placed muzzle down on a flat surface, the barrel appears to be perfectly straight up and down.

I don't know what you mean reference indexing on the muzzle - unless you mean the piston bottoming out on the barrel.  The barrel is still crooked or not concentric to the bore when the piston is threaded on, but not bottomed out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Did the gun come with the factory thread protector?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Believe what you want, but the pictures in your original post, which were taken with much more light, suggest that the crossthread occurred after the barrel was finished.

No one is saying that YOU crossthreaded it, just that it happened at some point after being manufactured. Final inspection at HK? At the distributor? At the gun shop? Who knows. My bet would be somewhere in between.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:05:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's not cross threaded. This happens more than you think does with major firearm manufacturers too. They screwed up when they threaded the barrel but it still passes QA Control because it doesn't affect the function of the pistol under normal use. UNTIL- you add the suppressor. At least you didn't shoot it and damage your suppressor like some have with high powered rifles. If they won't help you just purchase an aftermarket barrel and you're back in business
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Did the gun come with the factory thread protector?
View Quote
USP'S don't come with thread protectors. I know the .45 version doesn't for a fact chase I own one.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#41]
It does look like the threads have the surface coating or finish on them still.  The threads look crossthreaded because the barrel came loosing during machine threading.  The barrel was partially threaded and then it was pushed off axis.  The machine completed the threading process and cut the threads crossthreaded.

My machinist opinion anyway.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
USP'S don't come with thread protectors. I know the .45 version doesn't for a fact chase I own one.
View Quote
They've actually been coming with thread protectors for the last 2 years. My buddies BF date code USP 45 Tac came with one, and my BH date code version came with one as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Believe what you want, but the pictures in your original post, which were taken with much more light, suggest that the crossthread occurred after the barrel was finished.

No one is saying that YOU crossthreaded it, just that it happened at some point after being manufactured. Final inspection at HK? At the distributor? At the gun shop? Who knows. My bet would be somewhere in between.
View Quote
Denial is strong with this one, or just dumb.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It does look like the threads have the surface coating or finish on them still.  The threads look crossthreaded because the barrel came loosing during machine threading.  The barrel was partially threaded and then it was pushed off axis.  The machine completed the threading process and cut the threads crossthreaded.

My machinist opinion anyway.
View Quote
I ditto your machinist opinion with my machinist opinion. You can see on the forward diameter at the muzzle where the threading tool cut in to it. 60 degree grooves on a diameter that is supposed to be SMALLER than the minor diameter of the threaded portion. Grooves are not present on the opposite side of the diameter, because of how badly that barrel was running out during the thread cutting operation.

Coating is clearly still present, and it wasn't cross threaded with a nut. That would take some serious effort to accomplish, and it wouldn't look the same (clearly defined, not smashed).
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#45]
HK CS has replied to him on HK Pro.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Yep, I'll be in contact with HK tomorrow and am hopeful it will at least be looked at and eventually fixed.  I'll update this thread when I know more.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#47]
You should get a new barrel at the very lesst.  Crossin fingers.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Denial is strong with this one, or just dumb.
View Quote
Dumb, no. In denial, yes.

I'm having a hard time accepting that the machine operator could screw up the threads that bad and not notice, that the finisher could not notice, and thay the assembler could not notice. From ANY company. However, after looking closer and seeing the chip in the threads it does seem to be a tooling/machine problem. 

Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#49]
I called and spoke with HK CS - they gave me an RMA # and will be looking at the barrel themselves. Apparently, I had selected the wrong options when I called before and left messages in the wrong area of HK.

The CS Rep was very helpful.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Good to hear.  HK CS has gotten better for the last decade.  They have treated me fine.  
People still perpetuate their (HK) past CS experiences.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top