Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2011 2:30:25 PM EDT
Just screwed up my 10-8 tritium front sight.  I was using 400 grit sandpaper to remove material from the bottom and went to far.  I'm so pissed at myself right now.  And to make matters worse, they are out of stock now.  Oh well, lesson learned!
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 3:29:41 PM EDT
Since it's F'ed anyhow, might as well try to build it back up.  Solder or some kind of epoxy on the bottom, then file down again.  

Will it work?  Who knows, probably.  I'd ask in the gunsmithing section.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:37:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By smoketheresfire:

Since it's F'ed anyhow, might as well try to build it back up.  Solder or some kind of epoxy on the bottom, then file down again.  

Will it work?  Who knows, probably.  I'd ask in the gunsmithing section.

Yea, Maybe some JB weld to build the base up and re file.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:52:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/28/2011 5:53:05 PM EDT by Dog1]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:55:13 PM EDT
JB weld might hold up?

C'mon, it says you can repair scratches in cylinder walls on the package, how could it not hold up ?

I wonder if anyone has ever actually tried that?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:36:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:59:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/29/2011 4:06:31 AM EDT by DitchDr]
I'm a little OCD with my guns.  OK, I'm really OCD with my guns!  I know I wouldn't be happy with it if I tried to repair it.  I think I'm going to give the 10-8 brass bead front sight a try.  They are in stock, half the price of tritium, and I almost went with the brass bead in the first place.  You guys think I would be able to sell a sight like this on the EE?  What would be a fair price?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:02:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:06:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Dog1:
Originally Posted By DitchDr:
I'm a little OCD with my guns.  OK, I'm really OCD with my guns!  I know I wouldn't be happy with it if I tried to repair it.  I think I'm going to give the 10-8 brass bead front sight a try.  They are in stock, half the price of tritium, and I almost went with the brass bead in the first place.  You guys think I would be able to sell a sight like this on the EE.  What would be a fair price?

I doubt anyone can use it.

How loose is it in the dovetail?

The fit is loose enough that with a little oil in the dovetail I can barely get it centered using my hands and its tough, but I can get it back off with my hands. Some people may be OK with this fit using loctite, but like I said, the whole OCD thing!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:49:32 AM EDT
put the site in a vise and squeeze the area that goes into the dovetail between the 2 jaws
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:26:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Wash-Ar15:
put the site in a vise and squeeze the area that goes into the dovetail between the 2 jaws

Hey, interesting idea.  I like it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:39:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:38:13 AM EDT

You could try that or take a punch with a point on it and try to punch some dimples on the bottom of the dove tail, to displace some material to try and get it to fit.

It's called "peening". I have used it on the past for ill fitting gas blocks on M1 Garands and rear sights on 1911's.

When done properly, it's very strong.

Just be careful and make sure you pad the trituim part fo the blade, to protect it from shock.

You sir, have it figured out.  I have no doubt this will work if you can find a way to hold the sight to get some good dimples in it.  

Top Top