Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Posted: 1/1/2018 2:42:45 PM EDT
I received a FNS 9 as a Christmas present from my son in-law.  This is their newer model with no manual safety.

Looks nice, but read lots of things in older reviews and youtube vids that were not too promising.

My son in-law has the FNX 45 and I didn’t like the way it shot or the very minimal way it ejected the empty shell cases, usually right in my face.

But....

I took it to the range a couple of days ago.  I really wanted to wring it out.   I cleaned it thoroughly then off to the range.

I mainly used Winchester 9mm Nato 124 grain hardball and Ranger T series 147 grain ammo, plus some older Remington 115 JHP.

All together I fired 700 rounds through the gun, 10 round mags at a time.  (Yea I know its Calislavia).

No cleanining, lube, or wiping down until done.

Feel

The sights and trigger were good for a striker fired pistol.  The front sight dot is just a little bigger than the rear dots making it easier for my old eyes to see.

The FNS 9 comes with a straight and curved back strap.  I first tried the curved then switched to the straight.  I seemed to like that much better.

Magazine ejection was smooth and the mag well is beveled nicely.  Fast reloads are positive.  The checkering is aggressive.

If you thought the Glock was a blocky gun, well, so is this.

Shooting

No failures of any kind observed.  Positive feed, function, ejection.   Certainly nothing in my face like the FNX 45.

Accuracy was excellent at 15 yards.  Even when the gun was filthy dirty it kept running with no issues.  

Carry

The only issue I found, and it is not really much of an issue, is the grip checking is pretty sharp.   Not shooting it in my rough hands, that I liked.

It was in the carrying of it for a couple of hours that I felt those sharp edges.

I have not found a holster for it yet so I carried Israeli style, full mag, nothing in the chamber, in my waistband.   Since it was cold I had an undershirt on but still felt that checkering.   If this had been summer, without a holster, no way against my bare skin.

A good IWB holster will help to some extent.  But the grip is rough.   I like it, I just have to watch it.  YMMV

Overall I like it, it is a keeper.  I am a die hard Glock guy, but this is a good gun IMHO.  It rivals the Glock.

Now if I can just find a good IWB holster, night sights, and some 17 round mags.....
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Good write up!

I have an FNX-45 & a FN 509. I noticed the 509 shoots considerably lower than the FNX. I have to think about it when I have both at the range.

Check out Aliengear holsters. You could even carry that FNX using the same general holster as the FNS.  Just change the shell.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good write up!

I have an FNX-45 & a FN 509. I noticed the 509 shoots considerably lower than the FNX. I have to think about it when I have both at the range.

Check out Aliengear holsters. You could even carry that FNX using the same general holster as the FNS.  Just change the shell.
View Quote
Will do.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:40:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The FNS 9c is my EDC. I also have the FNS 40. I love them both but the 9 is much easier for me with groupings and pairs than the 40 for some reason. I use Winchester for target and Hornady Critical Defense for EDC. Never getting rid of either.

Great write up and info.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The solution to your grip texturing issues....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2KKM7Z

Or you can buy that material buy the sheet...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FLQO5IU

... and make your own like I did since I wanted just a simple sleeve type cover.

Cheers,

Dave
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top