Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Posted: 1/28/2011 7:05:06 AM EDT
What are the pro's and con's?  Would you recommend it as a carry weapon?
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:55:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

No. IMO, it's a combat/duty pistol. Much to large and heavy to conceal everyday. Could you do it? yah, probably. Would I? No.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:35:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I have to agree with the above poster, it is HUGE, I would not know where to hide it on me. But the ambi controls, 15+1 mags, and superb grip comfort, makes this pistol truely great. I would recommend getting the Tactical, I bought my before the tactical was reality, and all I want to do is add a RMR to it. And buying a second one is not in my near future. I hope they do a FNX-9/40 in "Tactical".
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have to agree with the above poster, it is HUGE, I would not know where to hide it on me. But the ambi controls, 15+1 mags, and superb grip comfort, makes this pistol truely great. I would recommend getting the Tactical, I bought my before the tactical was reality, and all I want to do is add a RMR to it. And buying a second one is not in my near future. I hope they do a FNX-9/40 in "Tactical".

Hopefully from your post to FN's ears...LOL...That would be awesome.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't see any company doing a "tactical 9mm" because they would be competing with the glock 17/19....and no one wants to do that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#5]
The FNP 45 tactical has the HK tactical to contend with and the FN tactical seems to sell well. and the HK's reputation is excellent.

I think if they made one it would do ok regardless of some other companies model...I personally would like to see it in .40.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been carryin mine for two years, CCW. It is a big gun and I am not a big guy but no one ever ever sees it, with the right holster. I also use it in pistol and threegun shoots. I like it so much I got another one (Government) last weekend.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've been carryin mine for two years, CCW. It is a big gun and I am not a big guy but no one ever ever sees it, with the right holster. I also use it in pistol and threegun shoots. I like it so much I got another one (Government) last weekend.

Me too. I carry it in a Crossbreed Supertuck and it's fine. Very comfortable and conceals just fine.

I have smaller guns I can carry if I need something lighter or easier to deep conceal, but I rarely ever carry them.

Az
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Pros:
-15+1 of .45!
-Recoils about like a 9mm
-Accurate
-Ambi everything
-15+1 of .45!

Cons:
-Big and heavy when loaded

I loved my USG, but sold it to hopefully at some point get a tactical for suppressor mounting.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with some of the above statesments, it is a large pistol.
Even if you are a big person this is not a spring/summer carry gun.

But it could be a choice for a winter carry gun.  Depending on your perfered method of carry and your size.

Handguns are like women, everyone has thier own likes, dislikes and requirements.

Hell even if you don't use it for a carry gun doesn't mean you shouldn't own one lol.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Pro:
1) Extremely accurate. Only a pubic hair less accurate than my much more expensive H&K USP .45acp.
2) Completely reliable. Not a single jam or issue, ever. Used mine in 3 Gun matches so I shot it quickly & did more than one mag dump.
3) 15rd mag of .45acp goodness. Except for a 10mm, what more could one wish for?  
4) Good quality. Very high quality for the price as well.

Con:
1) A bit large for CCW could be done with a good holster & baggy shirt, IMO.
2) Limited aftermarket support, i.e. holster options, aftermarket mags, etc.

In short, I keep saying the FN (or USG model) is THE best buy in the handgun market right now. I say this a lover of my Beretta 92's, H&K USP's & CZ's. (The only reason I own a Glock is that it's a Model 20SF 10mm.    )

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pro:
1) Extremely accurate. Only a pubic hair less accurate than my much more expensive H&K USP .45acp.
2) Completely reliable. Not a single jam or issue, ever. Used mine in 3 Gun matches so I shot it quickly & did more than one mag dump.
3) 15rd mag of .45acp goodness. Except for a 10mm, what more could one wish for?  
4) Good quality. Very high quality for the price as well.

Con:
1) A bit large for CCW could be done with a good holster & baggy shirt, IMO.
2) Limited aftermarket support, i.e. holster options, aftermarket mags, etc.

In short, I keep saying the FN (or USG model) is THE best buy in the handgun market right now. I say this a lover of my Beretta 92's, H&K USP's & CZ's. (The only reason I own a Glock is that it's a Model 20SF 10mm.    )

My .o2

+1, and add in that it is the softest recoiling 45 in my stable (and it is a big 45 stable).
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a beast.  That is all you need to know.

If that doesn't do, here are some "pros"

Accuracy, quality , smoothness, and ergonomics help too.  

It has a great SA trigger with a really short reset. You can let it rip like a good 1911.  

Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top