Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 7:44:49 AM EDT
Was thinking of purchasing one for my BOB.Was wondering if anyone can tell me about them from personal experince.I'm looking at getting the one with the detective slide and a few standard cap. magazines.Any help would be great.
Sureshot45
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#2]
No it is the copy that is made in argentina.They have it marked as a fm high power on the slide. Been seeing them in the shotgun news alot as well as fac and a few others.Was just wanted to know if they are worth a crap before I spent my hard earned money on it.Thanks for responding though.
sureshot45
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:16:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I would pass.  Save your bucks and watch for a nice used Browning Hi-Power Mark III.  I bought one in a pawn shop last year for $350.  It was a nice gun, dipshit me traded it on a Glock 27.  

Or, if you don't want to wait, buy one of the FN Hi-Powers.  They are actually the original makers and the final designers of the gun.  John M. Browning died before he could finish the design, FN (the company he was working with on this) finished it.

The P-35 is a great pistol!  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would pass.  Save your bucks and watch for a nice used Browning Hi-Power Mark III.

WORD.

There are good FMs out there, but there are also some really bad ones.

DAMN!!!  I got Lumpy to agree with ME... that's what I call forward progress
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the info
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:04:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an Argentine FM hi-power.  It's the earlier production (i.e. surplus) rather than the new production offering of late.  Both can be found if you look.  The current one has a different slide profile on the front end than the older, FN-type copies like mine.  I don't care for the new style, so you may want to make sure of what you're getting if you buy an Argy.  It would be disappointing if you thought the gun looked like one version, but you actually bought a different one.

I'd recomend saving money and buying a MK-III as well.  The MK-III is a much better gun overall.  Quality is as good as it gets, and the sights, controls, etc.  are all more refined.  

Now my Argy has a few mods, and will get a few more, so I'm not really worried about being outclassed by an FN.  But to take a NIB Argy and bring it to the level of the MK-III would cost you more than what you'd have to pay for the MK-III in the first place.  

In the end, the Argy (even a new one) is on the same level as any surplus gun.  The MK-III is on the same level as the newest production wondernines.  If you just want a blaster, the Argy will be fine, but if you can get the MK-III, you'll find the extra cost to be worth far more than the cash difference.

The Detective model you're looking at also has a slightly shorter frame as well.  You might want to handle one in person first.  

Ross
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:53:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Let me cast a descending vote. Why? The FM High-Power is a licensed copy of the original. This means there is no variation in the specifications for the weapon. A FN has better fit and finish but the FM will work for your purpose. Because of the shortage of FNs on the market the wholesale price for FMs is up from the $170 I paid in the 1990s. My FM needed a trigger job and new sights but otherwise it was a good handgun. If you buy a FM and don’t drop a bundle into it you will be happy with it. Regards, Richard:D
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:50:18 AM EDT
[#10]
THANKS FRO THE POSTIVE INSIGHT.I HEARD THEY WHERE USING FN EQUIPMENT TO MAKE EM SOI FIGURED THEY COULDN'T BE QUITE THAT BAD.
SURESHOT45
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I had one.  It was not pretty like a FN, but it shot well, was reasonably accurate (not a match gun, but accurate as I can be with a pistol) and was reliable.  I have heard different from some people, but I think the key hang up was the finish/looks.  Mine was an older military or police version, not the model 94 or 95 versions seen recently that I have heard a lot of bad about.  The mil version didn't have the extended, ambi safety lever,  but it ran everything I put into it with zero failures to feed, fire, or eject.  IMHO mine compared favorably to an Inglis production for fire control, although again, not pretty.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The FM High-Power is a licensed copy of the original. This means there is no variation in the specifications for the weapon. A FN has better fit and finish but the FM will work for your purpose.

Theres a conflicting statement if I ever heard one.

+1 no shit.

Dammit.  Now Lumpy got me agreeing with him!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#14]
sureshot,
 I'm on my second FM. Both were/are black epoxy coated, full size.
They have been great. I use the current one for a car gun, &
occasionally shoot it at our matches. The only thing that I did
for both of them was to remove the magazine disconnect.
For the money, I have been well pleased...

Johnny C!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top